1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade up into the top 10 for an elite corner

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheRat, Jan 31, 2012.

1. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,869 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    According to the trade value chart the 7th pick is worth 1500 point and our 1st and 2nd pick is worth 1550 points. Would you use a first and a second to trade up to get an elite player like Dre Kirkpatrick?
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,139 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    no....
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    The only way I do that is if Claiborne drops to 8 or 9 and I can still be sure somehow that I can move up far enough again to get DeCastro or Glenn.

Very, very low chance without 2 second rounders.
  4. poost

poost Active Member

632 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    No matter what the 14th pick will have a solid player, so I don't see the point in trading up.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    First off.. no.

Secondly, Dre isn't even a lock to go top 20.

Finally, i wouldn't call him an elite corner. Claiborne and Jenkins are both more talented CB's than he is, and that's just guys in this draft. I don't think he'll be an elite corner in the NFL and if we do any trading with that 14 pick it better be down to pick up another late first or early second.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What makes you think he's elite?
  7. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No, we lose a pick in the second round, #46. I would rather stay where we are at or move down no more than 5 picks and gain an extra 2nd. We need players.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,968 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    Wait...what? That "point value" system is ridiculous. What was the point value of us getting Tyron Smith and Bruce Carter last year in the 1st and 2nd round and traded them for the #3 pick which ended up being Marcell Dareus? Good player but how can you reason giving up 1 pick for two?
  9. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,226 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No. This team is more than 1 corner short.
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,327 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    No on Dre.

Would think about it for Clai.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,677 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    This team has so many holes to fill, the last thing I would do is trade up and give away picks. Not this year.

If ANYTHING, I'd consider trading down (and obtain more picks) this year depending how things unfold.
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Yes, what we really need on this team is to trade up for a guy who will probably be there when we take him because he put smoking marijuana above character right before the draft evaluation process gets started. That is how you win in the NFL, by taking players who cannot prioritize their lives and place an innocuous activity with an illegal drug higher on their personal list. I want players who think it is better to smoke weed than it is to prepare for a career that can be interrupted by said smoking. [/sarcasm]
  13. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,601 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    NO! I'd be surprised if Kirkpatrick went before #16 with this recent incident.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I won't be shocked if he falls all the way out of round 1.
  15. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,601 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That too!! :bow:
  16. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,258 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I wouldn't trade up for Claiborne, let alone Kirkpatrick
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,996 Messages
    2,397 Likes Received
    No because you usually have to overspend for a premium pick. Our 1 and 2 wouldn't do it.
  18. dhaber

dhaber Member

55 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I would say no. As many have said, too many holes to fill on this team. I really don't think that we can fill all the holes this year alone. I believe it will be a two year process at best. If we do a good job this year we might be competitive enough to get into the playoffs next year but everyone else is looking at the same good players that we are. This will not be an easy fix. I hope I'm wrong but........
  19. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,506 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I'd trade up for Claiborne but not for Kirkpatrick. I like dre but I'm not trading up for him.
  20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,577 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Jenkins is the only one I really like. MC will be gone, Dre won't be on our board because we've taken the choir boy route as of late. (Why guys like Percy Harvin, Brandon Flowers, and Desean Jackson were off our draft boards)

Jenkins also has character issues, but I think he's the guy that best fits out scheme and will be in a reachable area, hopefully his weed issues are far enough behind him for Dallas to take a chance.

Because as much as I like high character, team captains, etc - you gotta have a few bad boys on your squad too. Right now the only one we got is Dez Bryant.

That's why I hope we don't scratch off guys like Burfict, Kirkpatrick, Jenkins, etc - because those guys can play ball.