1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trading down? Oh, jeez...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Tass, Apr 25, 2006.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,695 Messages
    1,319 Likes Received
    "How can a team expect me to cook the dinner if I can't buy my own groceries?"

Thanks Bear for your insight but I know who Ireland works for.
  2. vicjagger

vicjagger Well-Known Member

2,086 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Why would TO waste time in a bad golfer's closet?
  3. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,861 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Well, Eagleman is usually staying in a nice hotel.
  4. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    good job, but what exactly was your case?
  5. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I see you got your answer. You might notice that I never broke the first round into groups. My contention is and remains that your best chance at finding an elite talent is in the firs round.

Adam brings some interesting insight into this, but it does not IMO change the facts. Keep in mind, I am not talking value. The question becomes are two second rounders better than one first round? Are four third round picks better than two second round picks? Good questions, but not at all what I am talking about.

I know excellent talent if found in every round as Joe Montana, and Tom Brady would attest to and I do not dispute that.

I already said this before, but play with me on this one. If someone told you they would give you 10 million dollars if you could pick a future Pro Bowler from the 2007 draft. They also told you that you could have one pick in the #18 slot of any round, which round would you choose?

Again, I understand value and that is what Adam is talking about. I am talking about one shot one kill. Where are you most likely to find elite talent?

I also mentioned earlier that in last years Pro Bowl, over half the roster (not including ST, K, P, and FB) was made up of former first round picks.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received

Smartarse. It was a figure of speech.

By the way, incase you didn't notice, you were wrong about the RB thing. :D
  7. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received

who were these guys?!!!!!:D :D :D :laugh2:
  8. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've got it all wrong. These people don't really know who will hit and who will miss, they're human just like us. The best way to insure against 'busts' is thru volume by trading down and get more picks. The other way, you either hit a home run or strike out. Getting more picks ensures that you have a larger pool of players to pick from, which helps you pick up late day two guys like Leon Lett or Terrell Davis. If you really do your home work, you can find these guys. Pittsburgh and New England almost always do well in the draft and they don't have a GM(that is Pittsburgh). I find late day two guys all the time just by being thorough. I know how to read scouting reports for red flags and I know how to read between the lines and I found a site that instructs about which terminology means buyer beware.