1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: Triplets in ROH

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by FolsomCowboy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. FolsomCowboy

FolsomCowboy Member

391 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys will hold a news conference at 6 p.m. today to announce that Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin will be added to the club's exclusive Ring of Honor, several sources said.
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,295 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    All deserving... BUT...

Way to slap the old-timers down again Jerry... :rolleyes:
  3. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

5,165 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    I have to hand it to Tom Orsborn, the guy who covers the Cowboys for the Express-News. He's been telling me all off-season he thought the Triplets would go in this year.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,319 Messages
    9,980 Likes Received
    Ring of Honor

The Cowboys have called a press conference this evening concerning the Ring of Honor.

Let the speculation begin -- is it too soon to put in Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman? Should they go in together as the Triplets or separate?

And what about the deserving Cowboys already in the queue, such as Drew Pearson, Harvey Martin and Too Tall Jones?

Posted by Rick Gosselin [IMG] at 10:50 AM (E-mail this entry)

Cowboys Ring of Honor news conference

Cowboys just issued a news release regarding Ring of Honor induction for 2005. News conference scheduled tonight at 6 at Texas Stadium.

Posted by John Banks [IMG] at 10:57 AM (E-mail this entry)

Ring of Honor

Drew Pearson deserves it. But when the late Harvey Martin goes in, so should Too Tall Jones.

Posted by Kevin Sherrington [IMG] at 11:34 AM (E-mail this entry)

Triplets

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to induct the Triplets together into the Cowboys Ring of Honor.

At first I thought each deserved his own day. But how do you choose which one to go first?

Maybe it would be fitting for them to go in together. Of course, Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson and Ed "Too Tall" Jones deserve it as well.

Posted by Richard Durrett [IMG] at 12:31 PM (E-mail this entry

Ring

This from e-mailer Jeff Cunningham on the Ring of Honor, Class of 2005:

"On the triplets, there is no way that the Cows should put them in one-by-one. They were synergistic in nature and if one goes, they ALL should go, and vice versa. I really hope that they go back and get some of the 80's guys, especially considering that there is a Hall of Fame boycott against Pearson, Martin, Too Tall, etc."

If it were me, I'd probably put them in in three consecutive years in the order of their retirements -- Irvin, Aikman and then Smith. They are all Hall of Fame caliber, and each deserves his own day for giving the Cowboys the greatest dynasty in franchise history.

But I admit putting them in as a trio would be poetic...

Posted by Rick Gosselin [IMG] at 12:39 PM (E-mail this entry)
  5. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,975 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    jones knows which side his bread was buttered on... the trips made jerry even wealthier...
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,295 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    True... but we always complain about no recognition for our 70's era players...

Well even our own d@mn organization gives them no respect...

I love the triplets... and they deserve to go in... later...

Excuse me if I sit on my hands (not in a disrespectful way) for this one...
  7. parcellsguys

parcellsguys New Member

190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am glad all three are going in at one time. It will great next season to see Irvin and Aikman enter the hall together. If Irvin gets snubbed again next year it's a travesty and their should be a change made in the way the Hall voting is done.
  8. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,053 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    At least Wright and Harris got in the ROH.
  9. FolsomCowboy

FolsomCowboy Member

391 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I too am a little disappointed at the lack of the older Cowboys, I still remember them and wish the current organization would also, BUT what a ceremony it will be this year when the Triplets go in
  10. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,975 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    maybe the organization should take more of a "by committee" approach - have living members of the ROH give input into the selection process...

it's hard to fault JJ for fawning over the trips - they brought him a mountain of cash and added prestige.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

13,006 Messages
    5,368 Likes Received
    Harvey Martin, Too Tall, Pearson... all should be in before Michael, Emmitt and Troy, IMO.

The triplets definately deserve the honor... but not before some of the older guys.
  12. peppersquad

peppersquad Member

382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats terrible IMO.

All 3 deserve their own day, not 2 mins each at half time.
  13. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,421 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    The old timers basically have no shot that the HOF. At least this way, this helps Irvin's chances, THIS YEAR. Aikman and Emmitt are guaranteed to be elected. Next year, then the old timers can have their day again.
  14. k19

k19 Active Member

2,959 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I would guess this is all speculation at this point since no one has posted anything other then blogs and rumor to this point.

Dale, even Orsburn is saying it could be anyone. Heres his latest...........

15. BlueStar22

8,421 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    I highly doubt they'd go in on the same Sunday. If you're Jerry Jones, how do you make sure that 3 of your home games are sellouts? You have 3 ROH ceremonies!

At first i was like, the games I want to go to is the Philly game and the ROH game. Then I was like, no way they go in on the same day.
  16. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

5,165 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    From a few media guys I've spoken to, they seem to think this won't necessariliy end a few of the old timers' chances of entering the ROH. In fact, several actually have suggested Pearson may be the next to go in. But who really knows.
  17. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Uggh. I'm sitting on my hands, too.

The Grim Reaper (Jerry) let Harvey Martin slip by, but maybe he'll induct Drew Pearson and Too Tall sometime before they die.

Nah.

Jerry will probably say differently tonight just to soothe the feelings of the fans of the 1970s Cowboys and the Cowboys themselves from that era, but today's announcement, IMO, means nobody else from 1970s-80s is getting in. Jerry Jones, a committee of one, just slammed the door on those guys.

Jerry to Drew: "Trademark this!"
  18. BlueStar22

8,421 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    I'm wondering, if Irvin doesn't get snubbed from the HOF, do they all go in this year. I'm skeptical. I think Irvin and Aikman being eligible for HOF has a lot to do with it.
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,319 Messages
    9,980 Likes Received
    Question: Is there any reason to believe that ONLY the triplets will be inducted this time? Is there a possibility that other players can be inducted as well? Is there a limit as to how many Jerry inducts every year?

Just curious.
  20. BlueStar22

8,421 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    Woman=Voice of Reason