1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Troy Aikman: Not sure coaching changes make Cowboys better

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AMERICAS_FAN, Jan 24, 2013.

1. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was Aikman's feelings about the coaching changes in Big D. He just said this on the radio (The Ticket). He basically felt its still the same players running the same plays

I got the sense he felt that talent upgrade would make them better, but as far as coaching it won't matter because Callahan will be calling the same plays he had influence on last season.

This is in line with a lot of what I've been saying, that more than anything this team needs to upgrade the trenches, namely the OL, with DL a close second, and finally upgrades at one WR and FS spot.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Coaching wasn't an issue last year. That's a fan and fake GM cop out. These new coaches will fail too unless we upgrade the roster.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    It all starts up front. Fix the OL and this team will be fine.

Dez, Austin, Harris, Witten, hannah are fine receiving options

Murray (if healthy) is a fine RB

Our OL is terrible.
  4. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Our defense will never be quality until we revamp the front seven. Too much age. Too many JAGs. We are in desperate need of an impact player or two along that defensive line.
  5. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    It pretty much sets Jason up for failure. I don't understand Jerry's line of thinking. He should of just left the staff alone for another year and drafted better players.

Now, our clown of a GM says bernadette and Livings will be fine with another full off season? ***.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will disagree about defense. As far as the 3-4 goes I thought Ryan was a good coach. But I never cared for his big mouth, and more importantly, I never liked the 3-4 defense. I've seen enough of it now to know what a gimmick it is, and that good OCs can out scheme it by forcing its best pass rusher (OLB) in coverage.

So I'm glad we're back to. 4-3; I think it'll bring more out of our players in a more aggressive scheme. Unfortunately, this meant Ryan needed to be replaced because he's just not a 4-3 guy.
  7. Airbag

Airbag Active Member Zone Supporter

161 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    What does Aikman know? Cowboys Zone has determined the problem is Garrett and his play calling and anyone who can't see that is clueless. Aikman needs to join this forum and get a football education.
  8. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    After watching the playoffs, you don't need a top 10 defense to go to a Super Bowl. It's all about offense.

I agree, that our defense needs some more talent, but not as much as our OL.
  9. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    This isn't doom and gloom either. We haven't reached the point where we can do anything about the personnel this offseason yet. I'm just saying, I think our coaching was fine last year. If you want these new coaches to have success, give them better talent.
  10. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Yeah, let's fire a coach who had off the street scrubs playing solid football and a defense decimated by injury.

But hey, our offense was fabulous and Jason is still the HC. Whatever.
  11. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,556 Messages
    810 Likes Received
    This.

New young starters (draft) are needed at d-line, o-line and safety. Dallas also needs to solidify depth at WR, RB and LB. Do that and they will perform better.
  12. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Wow.

The 3-4 defense. A gimmick.

I mean, Wow.
  13. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Somebody please inform the two Super Bowl participants they are running a gimmick defense.
  14. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Aikman joined CZ.com, what would be the over/under in minutes before the clueless Haters on this site call him an idiot?

I'd give it 5 minutes.
  15. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    It's been proven that games are won and lost in the trenches. One area where we are weak in. Jerry has no clue what he's doing.

He's building this team backwards.
  16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,570 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    I guess Troy Aikman thinks "coaching is overrated" like Dan Marino. Some do. Not a knock on that school of thought.

However, I'll say it again. Let this sink in: Dave Campo and Chan Gailey and dozens of other coaches could have coached the 2012 Cowboys to a better record than Garrett did.

"Upgrade the talent?" Yeah, as if teams can just wave a magic wand in a salary cap era.

Bottom line: Rob Ryan underperformed with the talent he had on the defensive side of the roster even BEFORE injuries. And he is history and still looking for employment. Garrett underperformed with the talent he had on the roster.

A good coach takes what he is given and finds a way to maximize production. Garrett-lovers (Aikman is a card-carrying member) can make excuses for their boy all day. Doesn't matter; Garrett will be fired soon. And, no, he will not find employment as a head coach ever again in the NFL.
  17. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,575 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    I don't know if I agree with that. It's not that I'm overly optimistic about these changes, but I do know that we fans see and judge coaching based on game day performance. If we see a player miss a tackle, we blame the player or issue the infamous "he sucks, cut him now" rants.

Good coaches can teach better techniques and sometimes, different coaches will use different coaching styles and angles to reach some players that the previous coaches couldn't. Coughlin came in and taught Tiki Barber how to hold the ball differently which greatly helped reduce his penchant for fumbling quite often. Coaches like Jim Fassel, Sean Payton, etc. were Tiki's coaches before Coughlin arrived yet they did nothing that helped with that.

More than anything, coaching changes of any kind bring excitement and optimism to players. When Wade Phillips was fired mid-season, Pasqualoni came in and did a decent (not awesome, just decent) job which was still an improvement over the previous games.

That said, I agree and most everyone does that it all starts in the trenches. We can have the best skill players and the best coaching staff, but if we do not control the trenches, none of that will matter. We definitely need some player changes especially in the trench and cog positions.

/reality
  18. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The 3-4 defense isn't a gimmick, you need to draft the right players for it to work. Rob never had the players to do it. Sure he had some but he played the cards he was dealt. I still believe if he is given a good defensive 3-4 team they would have success.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,749 Messages
    749 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  20. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Some of the coaching was bad at times but the players need to get most of the blame for not executing the gameplan.

And of course injuries did play a part in it, especially on defense.