1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Troy Aikman: Not sure coaching changes make Cowboys better

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AMERICAS_FAN, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,487 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Agree.

Game management and poor play calling at inopportune times contributed to a mediocre season but, ultimately, its talent that gets you championships.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    I don't think these changes do much of anything.

Kiffin is just going to run a basic defense and Callahan is going to run Garrett's scheme.

I don't see much of anything changing as far as what we do.
  3. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    But our brilliant GM wanted to bring more experienced coaches around Jason so he can concentrate on overseeing everything.

Why won't he come to the conclusion that we need better players? It's like we're in a race in quick sand and no one is expected to win.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Next year doesn't look good unless we have a few guys that go from Zero to Hero like Miles Austin did.
  5. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Right. I actually feel sorry for Jason Garrett. He'll get the full blame if we don't improve. No playoffs, he's fired.

If that is in fact Jerry's way of helping Jason he should of done him a favor and fired him already.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,487 Messages
    757 Likes Received

That's the scary part. Garrett gets fired and Tony is left to ponder what might have been for the remainder of his days.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,286 Messages
    6,237 Likes Received
    Was Hudson Houck a good OL coach? Is Bill Callahan? Why can't either of these men make our line look even average? Because that's all that's wrong with this offense.

Why didn't adding Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne, as well as getting back Mike Jenkins have any impact whatsoever on our defense?

Too many holes up front. We just do not control the line of scrimmage on offense and opposing QB's are too comfortable in the pocket against our defense.

It's not that I think coaching is overrated. I just think we had good coaches. So replacing them with more good coaches doesn't fix anything.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yet he's said numerous times (and continues to say) that hiring Norv Turner to replace David Shula was the biggest key to the Cowboys becoming Champions in the 90s.
  9. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The way this staff is shaping out the only name who makes sense is Jon Gruden.

I know Gruden and Kiffin have had their quarrells but it makes the most sense.

If not, who knows what happens and this team could be completely blown up. Will Jerry admit this? Of course not but we're not stupid either.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,463 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Troy, did I miss Free Agency and the Draft? I hate it when Nyquil knocks me out like that.

No, I love it. Wait...That's a long time to go without tacos.
  11. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,726 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    The entire argument is silly since we haven't hit the draft or FA, yet.

Unless you think we had the best coaching staff in the league last year, there is always reason to upgrade the coaching. And I don't see how Callahan is all that responsible for the mess. He's been here for 1-year as was the O-Line coach.

And we purely lost some people because they wanted to go elsewhere, like DeCamillis.

To me, there needs to be changes in the coaching staff and in the roster. You can only make coaching changes at this current time. Give it another 6 weeks and that will hopefully change.

YR
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,223 Messages
    1,818 Likes Received
    No news here; we must upgrade the oline.
    We don't need a line full of Pro Bowlers but we do need a line with no major weak links, and one that works as a cohesive unit.

We have nothing close to that right now.

The upcoming draft and FA market could provide a turing point for these Cowboys...hopefully for the better.
  13. Risen Star

20,286 Messages
    6,237 Likes Received
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying the missing piece of the puzzle in Dallas is talent. Coaching changes don't matter much if you feel the coaches already there are quality.

The missing piece of the puzzle for the early 90's Cowboys was Norv Turner. The talent was there and blossoming.

It takes both. The 2012 Dallas Cowboys had one and not the other, IMO.
  14. Risen Star

20,286 Messages
    6,237 Likes Received
    Best staff in the league? I wouldn't go there. But if you feel you have a quality staff, there's something to be said for continuity. Especially in a win or else season next year.

I heard the same rallying cry against Hudson Houck when he retired and how Bill Callahan was going to have all the answers. He didn't. He won't have any answers next year either if the players don't change.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,828 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    jerry is doing what he's been doing the last 15 years. throwing more coaching at a personnel problem. people who think jerry is sending smokescreens from his comments about the oline are setting themselves up for dissappointment. hopefully people now know why i guarantee jason will be fired a year from now. any coach who works under this psychopath is being set up to fail.
  16. Risen Star

20,286 Messages
    6,237 Likes Received
    Right. Because he can not evaluate talent and neither can his own VP of Personnel. He's also surrounded himself with yes men. Nobody's got the stones to tell him what he's done with this team and how far away it really is from being a contender.

I'm sure he's going to go into FA with the thinking that a tweak here and there is all that's needed. Get healthy and coach em up. Same story. Different year. Jason Garrett's expiration date is 1/14. And the masses will rejoice.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,282 Messages
    1,753 Likes Received
    I agree. We can talk play calling all day long but in the end if players do not execute then it does not matter what plays are being called or who is calling them. A play only works if the players go out and do the job of execution. You blow assignments and the play is doomed.

Funny how early in the season Dallas struggled to put up points and yet over the last 8 games as Dez finally stepped up his game and became a big weapon the Cowboys avg 28 points per game over the final 8.

To get consistency out of the offense they must make improvements along the OL.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,657 Messages
    2,360 Likes Received
    Troy's surprise at the defensive changes and disapproval of the offensive ones are more proof that these aren't Garrett's ideas. (As if we needed more proof.)
  19. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,638 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Instead of constantly whining about Jerry, why noy wait and see what personnel changes happen in free agency, and the draft?
  20. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,506 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    That team was so stacked with talent, any of 100 offensive coordinators could have won with that team.

And Norv hasn't won jack since he left the Cowboys. Just saying.:)