1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Troy Aikman thinks the Cowboys lack a guiding philosophy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,378 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Duane likes this.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,994 Messages
    9,078 Likes Received
    What he's really saying is they lack a GM.

That pesky unimportant hollow title.
    RastaRocket likes this.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,201 Messages
    1,887 Likes Received
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,105 Messages
    2,314 Likes Received
    There's a lot of truth to this. The good news is, all these things are infinitely fixable.
  5. SwensonDC

SwensonDC New Member

25 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Troy is obviously hung up on titles.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Not until the current GM takes a dirt nap.
  7. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,714 Messages
    994 Likes Received
    Yeah, Super Bowl ones...
    romothesavior likes this.
  8. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Well-Known Member

431 Messages
    256 Likes Received

They have to draft better in 3rd-7th. It's that's all on the scouting dept and GM.
    Gameover likes this.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,371 Messages
    981 Likes Received
    But I thought we had a process? A process for sucking more and more as the season goes along.

Our philosophy sucks.
  10. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,581 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    They have one....but its a process
  11. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,093 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I think we get the old band back together..

Aikman as GM and director of player personnel..

Smith as RB coach..

Irvin as WR coach..

Novacek as TE coach..

..and Haley as defensive assistant coach ..

with Leon Lettnd first president in charge of snow angels on the goal line after blocked kicks.

Should work?

No?
    EST_1986, physeter, JPostSam and 2 others like this.
  12. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,993 Messages
    1,766 Likes Received
    Maybe the harshest thing I've seen Aikman every say about the former team:

"The Cowboys tend to change their beliefs each year on what it is they need or what they’re about. I find that to be somewhat unusual for a club that has been owned by the same owner for however long it’s been.”
  13. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,600 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    There goes Troy's invite to cocktail hour with Jerry:D Seriously though, former players have got to be tired of towing the company line then repeatedly looking like fools, its about time!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Duane and BoysFan4ever like this.
  14. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,773 Messages
    1,975 Likes Received
    Did anybody read the comments after the article?

This was funny:

Garrett? He’s like an accounting professor from UT looking for his car in the parking lot and got lost and found himself wandering an NFL sideline. I know 6 year olds that aren’t scared of him, let alone 340 pound lineman.
    Coy, tantrix1969 and SilverStarCowboy like this.
  15. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Troy has been very forgiving as have other players who are finally starting to cue in, like Johnston and Woodson. A well deserved barb, not a stab in the dark... for Jerral and Red J as well.
  16. barney

barney Active Member

258 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Troy Aikman speaks words of wisdom
    EST_1986 likes this.
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,439 Messages
    3,002 Likes Received
    Aikman didn't say the Cowboy's need a GM.

He said that they need to develop a plan and stick to it... not change paths willy-nilly based on the favorite flavor of the week. The Cowboys do not need Jerry to hire an outside party as a GM to do that.
  18. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    We dont run the ball or play great defense? Really? We dont draft for that either? Tough words from Troy.
    What Troy doesnt mention is as long as we pass it 50x a game and put on a good show....Jerry Sells out! Jerry doesnt feel like a loser for the last 18 years, he sells out everyweek and sells more merchandise than any other team.

We hired Linehan to call more plays like the Denver game, down the field, more passing. We might be the first team in history to pass it 70% next year. Even more exciting! Sell, Sell, Sell!

Dallas is the biggest, most profitable sports franchise on the planet. Thats the #1 identity to Jerry Jones. As far as hes concerned, hes the best, He's #1.
    coogrfan and 50cent like this.
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,294 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    I think Troy's been reading my posts.
    Corso likes this.
  20. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,378 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    I'll try to explain this thought that I've had for awhile, I think that JJ realized sometime ago how hard it really is to win in the NFL. I think him winning the sb so early in his ownership gave him a false sense of confidence that he was ahead of the curve compared to the other owners. That's why he made the statement about the "500 coaches", but over the years with different coaches I think that he's come to realize that winning in this league is something that he can't control.

He can control his roster and his coaching staff and everything that's Dallas Cowboys but he can't control the rest of the league. The Raven,Giants, and Seattle have different personnel and philosophies that have worked better than Jerry's. They have football men (people who came up thru the ranks) running the show and Jerry is just dug in too deep to ever admit that him running the show is not a good thing so he'll continue as gm until he physically is able to. It's kinda like a stock who's value has dropped, you haven't lost money until you've sold it. In his mind, he hasn't been proven wrong until he hangs up his gm hat.

Don't get me wrong, he'd love to win but he just doesn't know how hence the philosophy changes every other year.

Remember, Quincy Carter followed the Donovan McNabb draft, Joey Galloway and Rocket Ismail were going to replicate "the greatest show on turf", recently the 2 te formation of the New England Patriots and the cover 2 defense ala Seattle.

This is my point, I think that Jerry has turned to the thing that he can control, increasing his profits through marketing, merchandising and selling the Dallas Cowboys any way possible. He seems more interested in increasing the "brand" than he is at winning games.
    Clove, lane and brooksey1 like this.