1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Troy Aikman thinks the Cowboys lack a guiding philosophy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,050 Messages
    1,576 Likes Received
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...boys-continue-to-show-lack-of-direction.html/

It is good to see Troy Aikman give a vote of confidence (albeit indirectly) to the current offense despite the uncertainty involving the team's philosophical direction.

Getting back to the thread topic, it would have been great to see Jon Machota (who wrote the article which profootballtalk.com's story relates to) ask Jerry Jones his opinion of Aikman's comments. How would Jones respond to what his former Hall of Fame quarterback had to say? I believe those are the types of questions which make Jones pause and reflect upon.

Not saying he would necessarily react in a way which would have immediate proactive benefits for the franchise, but whether it would cause Jones to stop and actually think of others' viewpoints about the Dallas Cowboys. And when I say others, I am referring to those people Jones holds a measure of respect for. Because, in my opinion, there are very few individuals in this world whom I believe he gives a rat's behind what they think about either him or how he runs his organization.
    TINGS21 likes this.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,835 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    I get things have not been good around here for awhile, and there's not much reason beyond blind hope to think they're going to improve. However, I've said it once and I'll say it again: One strong off season can completely turn around a franchise. Two years ago, who saw Seattle becoming the powerhouse they are now? In game 2 of the 2012 season, they were coming off a loss to a terribad Arizona season; we were coming off a win against the reigning Super Bowl champions; and, they cleaned our clock. I'll be honest with you: I thought Pete Carroll was a joke before that game. Joke was on me.

Unexpected turnarounds happen.
  3. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,355 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Dont take this the wrong way, but Troy or anybody else doesnt need to read your posts to figure it out.
  4. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,738 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    They do have philosophy, it's called: copy the guy that seems to be enjoying success at the present time.
    50cent likes this.
  5. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,296 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    No ****, Troy.
  6. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,837 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Smith and Irvin were great players. Both Diamonds.
    But as coaches, forgetaboutit! They is players not thinkers.
    Section444 likes this.
  7. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,296 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    I C wut u did their.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,465 Messages
    2,156 Likes Received
    Never liked Troy anyway.

Right guys? Who's with me?
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,225 Messages
    4,342 Likes Received
    distinct advantages....
  10. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,499 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    Remember that "Aikman should be GM" thread? yeah, not so much now...Jones will not be happy with one of his former players taking shots at him...
  11. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,039 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    Don't know what team you are following..

but if you read between the lines..

what the team needs is a GM.

Precisely.

He's not saying him necessarily.

But like they did with Elway in Denver..

offer Troy a piece of the team..

..with offers to let him have a bit more if things go well.

This team needs a major transfusion of energy and credibility.

Aikman being hired would DWARF the Jimmy Johnson hire.

Dwarf IT !!
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Sounds great but I think those guys could show ya how to do it better than they could tell ya how to do it.
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,774 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    What they need is sound and consistent decision making, and then follow it up with drafting, player acquisition and roster refining that follows the plan they decide upon.

I don't care if it's a Jones, Smith or Williams or what position they occupy... Just so the job gets done.

Quite frankly we both know a GM hire isn't going to happen, but who knows about a consulting position who only has to be responsible to Jerry.
    Redball Express likes this.
  14. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,765 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    That's exactly what he's saying.

That's exactly what they need.
  15. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,225 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    So Troy is basically saying Garrett's "process" is not working. It is about time he comments on the obvious.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,774 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    No. I respectfully disagree. That's not what he's saying.

Now could a GM fulfill that desire to achieve year-to-year stability? You bet.

But that could also be done under the current structure. Stability is as much a mindset as it is anything else.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,691 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    It actually would be a great way for Jerry the GM to start to step back. He would be loved for making the right more with a Cowboy icon.

Too bad Jerry said that 2013 was one of bios best GM'ing years and that he wants to do this for another 10+….ugh.
  18. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

962 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    They really do because as history shows this is what our current GM does.
  19. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,417 Messages
    1,663 Likes Received
    I don't think Troy is impressed by the Cowboys secret sauce or Jerry looking for a **********.
  20. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

517 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Troy is right and I have been wanting to hear this narrative more than I have heard it. The Broaddus' (I still think he is great), Mickeys and other Cowboys.com heads seem to like this chasing the title every year crap instead of actually building something lasting and deliberate. The mindless chatter this go round about getting a defensive lineman at all costs as if two more defenders will break the 8-8 cycle.

Another poster in this thread talking about drafting better in rounds 3-7 (I understand the comment). Who cares how well you draft. You are adding players into a philosophy-less team making any success arbitrary and not on purpose. I don't care if they throw 50 times/game or run that many times. Just decide and then grab the players that suit the philosophy. Same for the D.

The Cowboys are the TGIF Fridays of the league. Always happening, everything on the menu, entertaining for young and old and they are popular in every city. No one goes there though if they want a great steak, fresh seafood, authentic Italian etc. That is the 49ers, Seahawks, Patriots of the NFL. Run by cooks and not chefs, these kinds of operations change menus and specials weekly. What a joke Jerry and his BOYS are yet I still love them. Only difference is they have not gotten any of my $$ for a long time. Not that they care.
    Clove likes this.