1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame 6-6,270

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 25, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,556 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Why wouldnt it shock me if this guy was on their radar?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,056 Messages
    5,391 Likes Received
    They might as well use Jermey Parnell as the #2 TE. They had Hanna blocking the majority of the time in 2013. I didn't understand the point of using Hanna if they were not going to establish him as a threat to catch the ball.

When MartyB was here, he rarely ran anything more than a 3-yard route. Parnell could probably run a 3-yard curl route.
    jobberone likes this.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received

yeah and Parnell knows how to keep his mouth shut. Win win
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,866 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    loved Niklas @ ND, but PLEASE do not pick another TE....
    jobberone likes this.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,310 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    Well he played in the jumbo packages and he's a former basketball player so I guess he could in some situations as well as being tackle eligible.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,056 Messages
    5,391 Likes Received
    Parnell blows people up in the run game. It makes Free's run blocking look pathetic and is obviously much better than any TE's run blocking.

I still can't figure out why they used Hanna as a blocker as often as they did. He had good effort and knew who he was supposed to block, but it seems that when you have a TE with 4.4 speed that you would use him more in the passing game. If they could establish Hanna as a receiving threat, then defenses might start bringing in an extra DB vs LB when Hanna is in the game. If they could get Hanna run blocking against a DB, then they would have an advantage.
    tantrix1969 and jobberone like this.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    If it wasn't for an injury, many expected Parnell to have a good shot at beating Free out in last years training camp. I was hoping that he would. Parnell is a much more physical lineman and he showed that he could play when he filled in for Tyron when he had to. Inlike his raw potential and think that he can be Free's replacement. He just needs playing time IMO.
  8. jobberone

38,310 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    I agree. Must not be doing what he's supposed to be doing or going where he's supposed to be going.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,889 Likes Received
    If we drafted this guy, it would mean that Witten was on his way out.

As long as we aren't necessarily looking to replace Jason Witten, I think we're going to roll with Witten, Escobar, and Hanna.
  10. jobberone

38,310 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    They had a blocking TE for awhile. I think you'll see a FB or a RB/FB hybrid but they will continue to look for a F Back.