1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TrueBeliever Mock Draft 2

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TrueBeliever007, Dec 7, 2010.

1. TrueBeliever007

TrueBeliever007 Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Right the Cowboys are picking at #8.
    Trade Anthony Spencer for 3rd round pick

Round 1. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
    Dallas needs a pass rush and Anthony Spencer is not cutting the bill. Quinn is athletic and can have a Dez Bryant type of impact. He can pass rush, which is something the Cowboys need.

Round 2. Marcus Cannon, G, TCU
    Kosier or Davis needs to go and Cannon is a big body that can hold and move anybody. He will need to slim down about 15-20 pounds. He has potetial, and is versatile because he can play either of the tackle spots.

Round 3a. DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson
    If he falls this far he could be a steal. He has not had a great season at Clemson, and he has character concerns which could drop him pretty far. A lot of Upside

Round 3b. Kristofer O'Dowd, C, USC
    A mauler. He can take over for Gurode in 1-2 years.

Round 4. Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson
    Will play DE for the Cowboys. Adds more depth and ensure us of getting rid of spears.

Round 5. Mike Mohamed, ILB, California
    Has Great Production, and has played in a 3-4 with Cal. Good size and weight. With some grooming he can take over for B-James in 3 years or so.

Round 6a. Marcus Gilchrist, CB, Clemson
    Adds to cornerback depth. Has potential.

Round 6b. Jermale Hines, SS, Ohio State
    One of my Buckeyes. Good size and can deliver a hit. Has good coverage skills. Adds more depth and competition.

Round 7. Allen Bradford, RB, USC
    Power back to replace Barber. Will be the third- running back.

I estimate a 5-11 season or 6-10.
    A dream mock
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,900 Messages
    4,246 Likes Received
    I see the trend that Robert Quinn is the desired player by many now. Maybe I just need to say screw it and go with it. :eek::

At least you had some O-Linemen and a safety sprinkled in the top few rounds.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I think your going to find it becoming a more popular pick as the draft approaches. The comparisons to Dez and his stock slipping is a good one and it worked out well for us this year.

A lot can happen between now and then and the rankings will shift around but it's looking like we may pick in the low teens and that's actually a prime spot for a DE or one of the few OT's in this draft.
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Good mock. My preference is the same, with pass rusher in the 1st, OL in the 2nd, and DB (best corner or safety available) in the 3rd
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    yeah if we pick in the teens i am willing to beat a olineman or to will be rated around 12-15 overall spots....which we should be in prime position to pick up a oineman but i doubt we do.
  6. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol I see that after I included Quinn in my mock everyone hops on. Interesting.
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received

Slate?
  8. TrueBeliever007

TrueBeliever007 Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol, ya if you say so. By the seasons end we will be too low to get PP
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    I just can't see this team taking another OLB/DE in the first round. I just can't see the team tossing Spencer aside just yet.

A "3-4" DE with pass rush ability? You bet. I can see that.

A safety? You bet.

An OT? Absolutely.

I just can't see an OLB.
  10. MarionBarberThe4th

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received

Man, I dont know if Spencer is good enough to pass on Quinn if you have him rated a Ware type talent. And Quinn is being labeled top 5 even w/ the missed season.

Best case scenario it lights a fire and we have 3 great pass rushers, Ill take it. There are always ways to get them on the field.

Having said that, I need to know if Quinn can go from the left side to right throughout a game fluidly.
  11. TrueBeliever007

TrueBeliever007 Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quinn is more athletic, bigger and stronger, and has a better pash rush repetoire. He has more potential than Spencer. If we could get pat peterson or DeQwuan Powers than i would put them, but with this team winning games, Quinn might be the bpa in this siuation and will improve the team.
    He also goes all out on everyplay and it doesnt look like spencer does
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I gotta say, I don't get the love for Quinn personally. I'm no rocket surgeon or anything when it comes to the draft, but I think Spencer was every bit the prospect coming out that Quinn is now, minus the size. And Spencer's best year was certainly better than Quinn's best year, granted Quinn had to go and break the rules so who knows what this year could have been like for him.

I don't see all the pass rush moves that some say he has either.
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received

I dont mean this in a catty way but what do you see when you watch(ed) him? Like who does he look like and how does he play iyo?

He looks Orakpo-ish to me
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    No problem.

I don't know who I would compare him to, but I don't think he's as quick, strong or as physical as Orakpo is/was. I don't think his first step is as elite as Orkapo's either.

Again, I am not claiming to be some expert talent evaluator but from what I've seen of Quinn once he think's the play is away from him, he basically stops going after the play. He also likes to do what it seems like our OLB have pretty much began to do which it try to speed rush to the outside over and over and over, you rarely see him use a power move which is partially what I mean when I say he's not as physical as Orakpo.

I think if you're going to be a speed guy in the 3-4, you basically have to be relentless like James Harrison, Ware and Clay Matthews are when they are on and even then, an inside move every now and then doesn't hurt.
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    I don't think it matters because I doubt the Cowboys would draft him. There are more pressing needs elsewhere.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I am actually under the impression that the team is quite pleased with Spencer.

However, if Quinn is as good a pass rusher as some believe (as in being in the conversation with Orakpo), we'd be foolish to pass on him because in the end, what 1st round need would have more impact than a player of that caliber?

That being said, as I've stated, I don't think he's in that class.
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    I don't think they're displeased with Spencer either.

I believe the big problem with the pass rush are the two DE's. They aren't supplying much in the way of "push" on non-apparent passing downs. They're staying glued to the line-of-scrimmage and not moving.

I'd rather see a DE, who can supply some pass rush.

The position that Spencer plays is not a full-time pass rush position. It's Ware's spot that is the pass rusher. Spencer has more responsibility for coverage and playing the run.
  18. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,057 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    exactly. not that I'm a know it all, but I can't take a mock seriously if it has us taking a DE/OLB in the first. Not only do I think Spencer is doing fine, I believe the team is more than pleased with him
  19. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1. Sure would like to have a better idea about Sam Young before passing on OTs during the draft.

2. My guess - the Cowboys will be drafting in the early teens, not at #8.
  20. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    All things equal, my preference would be to either draft a DL, OL, or CB in Round 1 - unless someone player with exceptional talent slips of course.

I just think that our defensive and offensive lines need an influx of talent.