1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Turnovers

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    3,490 Likes Received
    Romo leads the league in interceptions (8).

Cowboys have the 2nd worst turnover ratio in the NFL (-7), Chiefs (-13).

Cowboys have only one interception thru 1/4th of the season (Lee). Only two teams have less (Oakland/Detroit).

Our opposing qbs have given up a total of 18 interceptions, yet we've only gotten one.

I thought Thurman's Thieves was supposed to return with the signing of Carr, drafting Clai, and adding Jenkins. Where are the playmakers?
  2. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Active Member

705 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    it's all about the pressure up front. Too many times we see QB's just standing back there waiting to throw.
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    No doubt turnovers are a big part of why we are losing. Can't have 10 to's in 4 games from your QB and expect to win much. We need to start bringing more pressure on D too to force some bad throws by the QB. We're just not getting in anybody's face and QB's in the NFL don't make too many mistakes when they have all day to throw through wide open lanes.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    -13? How many lost fumbles do we have?

I know we are -7 in INTs but -6 in fumbles or does turnover on downs or the blocked punt count as turnovers?
  5. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    3,490 Likes Received
    sorry i typed that wrong. chiefs are worse at -13. we are -7, worst in the nfc.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,602 Messages
    3,490 Likes Received
    i agree with everything you're saying but man you would think these guys would luck into AT LEAST one interception in 4 games. honestly this is the most shocking aspect of this team so far. they are still not making enough plays on defense.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,815 Messages
    5,348 Likes Received
    Cornerbacks can only be playmakers when put in position to make plays by the front seven.

I don't care who is in your secondary. A comfortable competent NFL QB will move the ball on you consistently enough to win games.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    The pressure is the main focus, but it's not what it's "All about". It is possible to get an int w/o pressuring the QB from time to time.
  9. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,280 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    What pressure we get usually either does not get there in time or simply goes past the opposing QB as he steps forward for a HUGE completion.

The CB's can only cover but so long, it seems the rush is either not there at all, a tad late or gets pushed outside and past the QB.

We definitely need another few pass rushing players in the draft and/or free agency.
  10. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I agree, and disagree haha.

No, we arn't forcing enough turnovers.. no doubt about it we have to read and react more quickly in the secondary. One thing i will concede, even with all the talent we now have back there, is that this group is pretty much brand new as far as playing with each other. Probably will take a few games to learn how to effectively play with each other. Learn where guys are going to be, form some chemistry back there, allow Mo to get his feet wet against NFL competition, etc.. so i am a bit understanding in that regard.

On the other hand, we ARE holding teams to the least amount of yards passing of any team in the league AND allowing fewer than 17 points per game. Those numbers are pretty significant, and if your offense can simply manage the football and put together even a couple good drives over the course of the football game, you should be in position to win most games.

So there is def some good and some not so good.. but so far its a substantial improvement from last year, imo. What will take us from good to elite status is strengthening our DL hopefully in the offseason and adding one or two guys that will straight up manhandle offensive lineman at the point of attack. If we start getting consistent pressure from our front 7.. not even sacks, just consistent pressure.. we're going to win ALOT of football games in the near future.

That is if we don't turn it over on offense 3 times a game.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    no worries, I knew we were bad but didn't think that bad ;)
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,804 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    We just are crap all across the board.

I just hope we can sneak into the playoffs, even if it means limp our way in.

I don't know. We just don't look good.
  13. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received

This. too manyPeople act like interceptions happen because of great secondary play. Most INTS come from pressure on the QB or the QB trying to do too much.

Fumbles are too hard to create on a regular basis imo but interceptions should come if the pressure gets there. A great secondary will get deflections not necessarily ints.
  14. Frozen700

11,804 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    You are right....

Our front is pathetic, we scare nobody. Double Ware...and laugh/giggle at the rest.
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well having Spencer and Ratliff who are the best pass rushers on the team after Ware will help alot. They need to return. We need them back.
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Hatch is better than Rat at this point.. at least if we continue to insist on using him at the NT position.
  17. Frozen700

11,804 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    those 2 should help.....
  18. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's exactly this. I live in Chicago, and do you know what Bears' LBs and Secondary players are saying? They're crediting their INTs to the pressure posed by their front 4.

Simply put, Dallas' DL does not get the pressure necessary to translate to many INTs for their LBs and Secondary.

And flip that around now to Dallas' offense. The reason Dallas commits so many turnovers is because their OL is so bad that they give opposing defenses the advantage in generating pressure that is needed to force those INTs.

The bottom line is that Dallas has an inferior OL and DL. They're so bad that the rest of the teams skill position players on offense and defense have to play near perfect games to overcome the line deficiencies.
  19. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Same reason why Dez was having so much success during TC. Line them up 1vs1 and don't provide any pressure to the guy throwing the ball and the WR will almost always win.
  20. Frozen700

11,804 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Never thought about this.....

I was sitting down every game baffled, like "Why isn't dez doing what he was doing in TC?"

This puts it in perspective a little.