1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter News: Cowboys taking long look at C Phillip Blake

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    ACCORDING TO MATT MOSLEY: The Cowboys have taken a long look at Baylor center Philip Blake.
  2. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol mosely loves those baylor guys.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's a nice prospect with a bunch of natural talent that Callahan can help coach up. Looks like a mid to late round type pick.

Here's a video of the Baylor vs. Washington bowl game. Look for the center, #74 for Baylor.

***On a side note, I continue to be underwhelmed by Alameda Ta'amu. This reminds me of the Who's the next Michael Jordan phenomena to a certain extent. I think NFL draftniks want to be the guy to find the next Haloti Ngata, so they blow up Ta'amu way more than he deserves, much the same way Ron Harper, Harold Minor, Vince Carter, et cetera were all supposed to be the next Jordan.

This is a guy who gets caught playing up high way too much and is a stiff athlete. He doesn't appear to be intinctual at all, seems to guess a lot; if he does penetrate and the play isn't in front of him, he's done.

[youtube]od2sdLUOtys[/youtube]
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,108 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received
    Agree.

Hope the Cowboys do not draft Alameda.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think he's trash, but he's been way overhyped. Wes Bunting, whom I think is one of the better draftniks out there, has him currently ranked as his 12th best prospect overall. That's insane.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,972 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    I've seen Ta'amu rated as. 3rd round pick on respectable sites so I don't see how he's being over hyped.

Blake looks good getting to the second level, but he seems to have tons of trouble with speed.
  7. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just asking but isn't this Alameda Ta'amu suppose to be the best guy that DeCastro blocked? if not.. who was? so I can look at some game footage thanks.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,231 Messages
    4,771 Likes Received

Those are some pretty shotgun snaps.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    I like Phillip Blake myself I see him more of a 5th to 6th rd pick
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,301 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Blake is a good player, he is my #3 Center and he's talent is a 3rd round grade but his age willl make him fall. If we get him in the 4th I would be happy. He can also play OG.
  11. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Exactly. He looks like he might have fit well into our pre-Garrett OL style.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,301 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Analysis
    Pass blocking: Former right tackle possesses the length and footwork to mirror any interior lineman. Plays with low center of gravity, natural bend and lateral quickness. Flashes a strong enough anchor to pancake overextended defenders, but can be pushed backwards when his hands aren't on his man's numbers. Also gets out-quicked when hand placement is off. Reliable, accurate shotgun snapper.
    Run blocking: Strong run blocker capable of moving the nose tackle to his left or right with his upper body. Agile enough to seal to either side when uncovered. Inconsistent down-blocking and finding the mike linebacker on combo blocks in tight quarters, gets stuck at the line at times instead of moving to second level. Inconsistent intensity and hand placement to sustain after initial contact. Stops his feet too often, losing his balance or allowing his man comes off his block. Stays low, gets some movement in short-yardage situations but typically just holds the line.
    Pulling/trapping: Does not move behind the line often. Flashes the quickness and agility to pull from either the center or guard spots, but seems best staying inside due to lack of height and inconsistency hitting targets.
    Initial Quickness: Gets his hands onto his man quickly after shotgun snap. Flashes quickness out of his stance and the footwork to attack defensive tackles on stretch plays. Reaches instead of moving his feet after the snap at times, allows quicker tackles to penetrate into the A-gap.
    Downfield: Possesses the foot quickness to get in front of screens and reach linebackers, and is difficult to get around with his wide body and length if in balance. Struggles to hit targets in the open field, however, and lacks agility to adjust to quicker linebackers in space. Uses length to knock a defender off his route to the ball but does not sustain for long enough.
    Intangibles: Older than the typical prospect (26 in November 2011). Played in secondary school in Canada, Canadian college and junior college before attending Baylor. Plays with some attitude, gets on top of defenders on the ground, but needs to play through the whistle more consistently.--Chad Reuter
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Blake seem really friggin' powerful when he gets his mits on you...problem is he does seem to have a problem with quickness as Count mentioned.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I hope we're taking a long look at every center in this draft.
  15. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,134 Messages
    98 Likes Received

i'm sold:D
  16. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking as well. I hope we don't go any higher than that if we want him.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    I think for him to move up in the draft he will have to impress in the combines and personal workouts. Right now I see him as a 5th maybe a 6th
  18. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    as always, thanks for the info CowboyJoe

PS. Whats your twitter account? I want to follow all you CowboyZoners