1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Two Cowboys subject to fines for missing practice

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – Cowboys linebacker Brady Poppinga and defensive lineman Robert Callaway were not at Wednesday’s practice because the Christmas snowstorm cancelled flights into Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Tuesday night.

“I accept any responsibility,” Poppinga said. “Stand by your actions, right?”

Players were off on Monday and Tuesday after the overtime loss to New Orleans on Sunday and were to report to Valley Ranch early Wednesday morning. Poppinga said he contacted team officials Tuesday to let them know what was happening. Callaway was not available for comment on Wednesday.

Per rules in the collective bargaining agreement, players are subject to a fine of slightly less than $10,000 for missing a mandatory practice.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...cowboys-subject-to-fines-for-missing-practice
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I doubt they get fined for a weather related issue.
  3. OhioCowboy249

OhioCowboy249 New Member

11 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are required to fine them regardless of if its fair or not. They have a legit reason for not making it, but the Cowboys have no other choice per the nflpa agreement.
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,967 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Welding is fun.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    They should fine. Don't leave town and you don't risk missing work.
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    YEAA! How dare dey go see der families for da haulidayz!
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,463 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    lol.

Yeah...ok.
  8. xpistofer

xpistofer Member

941 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    If only Romo was more of a leader, this wouldn't have happened.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    I understand the player’s situation but they also have an obligation during the season that is why they get paid big bucks. They are not getting cut or fired but it will cost them some cash.
  10. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  11. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,880 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    :bow:
  12. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

209 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Got to fine them. Unacceptable. Need their full focus on this Sundays game. They have an entire off season to go and do whatever they want

Tough but that's what separates champions from mediocre
  13. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Practice, were talking practice?:lmao2:
  14. cowboyblue31

cowboyblue31 Member

368 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    :facepalm:

It was for the Christmas holiday....wow.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,370 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I have no idea what the rules are but if there is no valid excuse for missing a practice despite good faith and through no fault of your own then the rule sucks.
  16. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,985 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson would have shown them the asthma field.
  17. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,498 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    When it is a slow moving weather system where every major news site is running front page stories about the massive storm system coming for two days before it hit the central and eastern parts of the US, I think some of that fault does sit on their shoulders. If it was a freak popup storm, earthquake or something like that, then you could say it was no fault of their own.

I remember being out past curfew as a teenager and I tried using the bad weather excuse (and it was bad weather). My dad's response was I should have left sooner since it was storming long before I left to go home.

/reality
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,370 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with that at all, Reality. I am just saying that there should be a case for extenuating circumstances. I really do not know the specifics of their situation to even begin to say one way or another.
  19. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,498 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I think it's a case where the NFL is afraid that making exceptions might open them to appeals on every fine by the NFLPA. It is one of those, "If we let some do it, all will want to do it" things and when it comes to things like weather, the line can get blurry and the arguments very subjective.

I agree though that there should be some exceptions in extreme cases especially when a large geographical region is affected by an unplanned event.

/reality
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    oh good god.

the standards some are so willing to put on OTHERS is simply amazing.