1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Two plays cost the Cowboys 14 points

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,562 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    Well, actually, it was two players.

Anthony Spencer jumping offsides on 4th down giving the Saints a first down in the red zone. It should be in the Football 101 instructional guide .. never ever ever risk jumping offsides on defense if a team has 4th down with 5 or less yards needed for a first down.

The other play was the Murray fumble. Again, the Football 101 instructional guide should stress that when running the ball inside your own 10 yard line, you should always hold on to the ball with two hands.

I like both of those players and I am not in any way saying they should be benched, cut, traded or whatever knee-jerk action that comes to mind. The bottom line though is that those two plays cost the Cowboys 14 points. You can talk about the poor defensive play, the dropped balls, missed opportunities, etc. but those two plays hurt the most.

/reality
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    I'd also say the non holding call on the 1st play of the game cost us 7.
  3. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,046 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I also remember two plays that cost the Saints 14 points. (See: Dez Bryant) It's football. Mistakes happen. You just try and limit those week by week.
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,424 Messages
    113 Likes Received

You mean when Hatcher is literally tackled by the OT while trying to grab Brees? lol
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Couldn't beleive that wasn't called. The guy practically tackled Hatcher. If they call that, it's first and 20. Might have converted and still gone down and scored on us, but much less likely.
  6. Everson24

Everson24 Well-Known Member

1,090 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    After the penalty we gave up the TD and that led to the game time mismanagement that gave them another FG right before the half. Just too many dumb mistakes to overcome against an offense like the Saints.
  7. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,070 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Both of Spencer and Murray will come BIG next week and make up for these mistakes...

:cool:
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    Yeah.. Because there was actually something they could do about it.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,208 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    Those two were not mistakes, the saints got Dez'd
  10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,120 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    The field goal at the end of the first half should have never happened. Saints should not have been given a chance to get the ball back with just under a minute left in the half. Cowboys threw 3 straight times and consumed only 15 seconds of clock. The playcalling was completely inept in that situation.

Cowboys should have run the clock out in that situation and go into the half with a 14-14 tie.
  11. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    In the 1st half, on a 3rd and 14, the Saints picked up a 1st down with a screen pass to Sproles. They scored a TD on the drive.
  12. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,605 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Agreed, but, there was more than one...
  13. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,342 Messages
    326 Likes Received
    :D ...
  14. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,066 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    Harris misplaying the punt started the chain reaction that ended up giving the Aints a free touchdown. If he catches the ball, we don't end up back at the three, the Aints don't have 8 on the line, and we aren't forced to make the decision to run into the wall or make a dangerous throw out of our end zone.

Murray gets the fumble, but Harris gets an assist.
  15. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,841 Messages
    655 Likes Received
    Murray needs to be told to protect the ball when he's near the endzone(ours and the opponents). This is two weeks in a row where he cost us.

Just like almost every game this season, next weeks game is going to be a very close game. Turnovers are going to play a major factor in who wins.
  16. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,940 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    3 plays that hurt Dallas; 4th QTR.

The 98 yard drive.

3rd & 2 @NO 10 - 6yd gain
    3rd & 7 @NO 19 - 16yd gain
    3rd & 8 @NO 37 - 60yd gain

Results in a TD.

3 opportunities on one drive to either get off the field. What a difference getting a stop on any of those 3 would have made.
  17. SlimBig

SlimBig Member

31 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Here are the plays to me that helped them get 14.

1. Spencer's facemask on Brees from the missed sack causes 1st and goal.
    2. Spencer's missed tackle on Sproles (very hard to do) on 3rd and 16.
    3. Spencer jumping offsides on 4th and 1.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,149 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    it wasn't holding because it was a Saint player and his arm was only wrapped around our DL's neck, that isn't holding unless we do it
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,126 Messages
    508 Likes Received

I'm sorry, but when your leg gets twisted like Murray's did, ball security is the last thing on your mind.

We saw that with Mario Manningham in the Seattle game. I've seen other players simply drop the ball when their legs give out on some freak twist.

I don't blame Murray at all for that fumble. Things just happen.
  20. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,175 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    Inept? Had they done that people here would be screaming about being too conservative