1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Two things about our 3rd Rd picks I didn't get...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ghst187, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,395 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I know people will say "well our war room had them rated higher..."
    but I'm curious what
    1) put Wilcox over Thomas since Wilcox seems like a slight project player and Thomas led all S's in INTs?
    2) put WR Williams over WR Stedman Bailey? I like them both and I know Williams is about 3 inches taller, but Bailey seems quite a bit quicker and faster. I personally would've taken Bailey.
  2. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    You answered your second question. -- we needed an outside receiver, and Williams is a prototype.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Cowboys have a particular set of attributes that they like in their players--and with WRs, they have to have measureables. There's no way they'd be interested in Bailey.

Same thing with Wilcox I think
  4. 32BellyOption

32BellyOption Member

248 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree on Bailey. The only thing Williams has over Bailey is size. Bailey plays much more physical and excels on ST's. Seems Jerruh had TW as one of his pet cats. And we know how that turned out with Felix Jones.
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,360 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Honestly think Wilcox can be a more complete safety than Thomas. Does that help out in the short-term, no. We have to see how Thomas turns out, but there must be something about him that teams don't like.
  6. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Oh please. Two WRs were taken after Williams before Bailey. Sounds you are the one with a "pet cat."
  7. Asa55

Asa55 Member

133 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    97 catches 1832 yards 12 TD's last year. Led the nation in receiving. He's not some project pet cat. Kids the real deal.
  8. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,395 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    no doubt TW was a VERY good college player and great prospect. I don't have many problems with the pick....i just thought Bailey was a slightly better option
  9. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    well what you and I think doesnt matter now does it.

BTW, I would take Williams over Bailey. I saw Bailey all season long and I would take him over Tavon Austin, because he seems like a more complete and productive WR going into the NFL. However, Austin has a special asset that you cannot teach, elite speed. I have seen Williams for 2-3 years now and the kid can flat out ball. He was the Baylor version of Dez Bryant. So now we have two Dez Bryants on the team, though this new one is more mature right now than Dez was during his rookie campaign.

All I know is Austin better get his Hammy's in order or he will lose his job quickly. Bryant, Williams, Harris, and Beasley make me smile when I think about our future at WR. I cannot put Coale and Armstrong on the list yet. I have seen neither as a pro.
  10. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Williams also led the nation in receiving last year. That's no small feat. He's is extremely productive.

The organization spend a lot of time evaluating him, with Dooley specifically working him out at his Pro Day.

This isn't simply some JJ "pet cat" interest.

And if you look at most mocks and rankings, Williams was generally considered a 2nd to early 3rd round pick.