1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Two things Romo can learn from Orton

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Jan 1, 2014.

1. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,731 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    No offense bro but the only reason for the 100 million is our idiot owner. Neither deserves that much aand Romo iss one more back injury away from hanging the cleats up.
    lane and ufcrules1 like this.
  2. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,131 Messages
    2,056 Likes Received
    That's not true. They paid market value. Don't be silly.
  3. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,099 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    I should agree seeing as I want to move on from Witt, Ware, Hatch, etc. but those years after Aikman scare me into hoping Romo's back isn't an issue and can salvage 1/2 more seasons (esp bc of the contract). I still say we go QB high and let Romo know his time is running near or he elevates his game, etc. Early round QBs are so cheap now, why not? Still DL/OL but if a QB drops...
  4. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,626 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Depends on if Romo is 100℅ healthy
    BigStar likes this.
  5. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,731 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    I have a difference in opinion, but doesn't matter now, what is done is done.
  6. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,142 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Not to me.

I'd prefer not always going down to the last couple of second every single down.

The other team is much more ready for the snap since..

guess what ?

There is no time left.

Bingo.

Completely takes the advantage you have offensively since you know the snap..

..they don't unless you have run all the freaking time off the game clock.

Then they know.

Pointless.

Very the snap count..vary the cadence.

Why not?
    BigStar likes this.
  7. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    We haven't had issues with Romo snapping the ball this year. The news coming out of training camp with Callahan was that the offense was getting to the line more quickly to resolve this issue. They did certain things for it, among them, huddling closer to the line.
  8. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,131 Messages
    2,056 Likes Received
    We don't go to the last second on every snap. It's happened before and so you draw on that. It's called confirmation bias.
  9. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    Additionally, the Dallas original game plan with Orton was probably catered to a safer more conservative game plan. Those hard counts that Orton got still does not excuse the fact that they happened in third and long situations, meaning the play-calling hardly resolved the issue. It stopped completely happening once the Eagles got disciplined on not jumping the gun in situations that had no business doing anyways.

Additionally, when Green Bay essentially put an end to the Murray sweep, everything went back to the same old same old. Our adjustment to the blitz was tossing it up to Dez. There were no audibles and quick slants to beat the blitz.
  10. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    The only thing Orton did better was when he actually took off at the line for like plus ten. Tony could have done that multiple times and slid, without facing any real contact. But considering the back issue, it becomes at least somewhat justifiable he didn't do it.
  11. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,099 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    Definitely not every snap, but the majority of them are definitely under 5 seconds. I can't think of how many times a game I look @ the ref directly after a snap for this very reason.
  12. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I am a lover not a hater. But Romo needs to relearn the aspect of the huddle, the line call, reads and clock management. Don't ask JG for help he doesn't understand either. Maybe Tony could show up at Manning Camp this year.
  13. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    My grandmother has a better hook slide than Kyle.
    khiladi likes this.
  14. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,446 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    The problem is that it lead to an 8-7 record, with several of those 10 INTs at bad times, leading to losses. Stats lie.
  15. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,883 Messages
    997 Likes Received
    There's never a good time for an interception, and there's no way you can spin 10 interceptions all season long into a bad stat. But keep on trying, it's amusing watching you try.
  16. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

939 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    just cut romo already
    lane likes this.
  17. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

590 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I agree. I thought it was dumb for Jerry Jones to make the Peyton comparisons and I thought it was dumb for the Cowboys to pay him like Peyton, Brees, and Manning.

Romo is not in the same class as those other guys but the problem is our delusional owner and head coach seem to think he is. That's why they constantly throw the ball close to 50 times per game even with a RB averaging well over 5 ypc.

When you have a QB like Romo who has limitations a good coach should coach around those limitations. Instead of allowing him to pass 50 times, which increases the chances that he'll make a game changing mistake that he's known for, how about protecting him some with the running game.

Romo has his shortcomings like just about every QB to ever play the game, but I think the bigger problem is that there are no coaches in place who are capable or willing to put together a game plan that will protect Romo from himself. In a perfect world I'd like to see his pass attempts limited to 30-35 per game.
    Dodger likes this.
  18. Don Corleone

4,446 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    With the game on the line, you know, Romo with the ball and 3 minutes left to drive the field, I have become accustomed to having him throw an INT. Sometimes all 3 timeouts are at his disposal, meaning he is likely checking out of a running play to throw said INT.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  19. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,883 Messages
    997 Likes Received
    That was Orton. Romo was in the game against the Redskins. How did he do?
  20. Don Corleone

4,446 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Yes, most of the NFL world was shocked that he pulled it out against the Redskins. How did he do against the Broncos, after having a career day? Manning threw an INT in that game also, but it was earlier in the 4th quarter. Timing is everything. If a few INTs are game sealing INTs, then it doesn't matter how good the stats are.