1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tyrann Mathieu - Honey Badger

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 30, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    For next year, I was wondering what the draft experts think about him playing FS? He flies around and plays physical enough to be a FS. I hate how short he is but I think he knows he has to make up for that with his play.

There's also T.J. McDonald as Casmith has mentioned a couple of times on here who plays nasty which is much needed from our DB's.

IMO, I'd love to see them address Safety next year in the first and then dedicate the rest to DL/OL then maybe LB and take a page out of the Eagles book this year.

Any input?
  2. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,260 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    They have shown that they do not want to draft a Safety that high.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I think he could be a Bob Sanders like safety. But like Sanders he would probably be out of the league in a few years of starting. Hes just way too small to have any type of long term success in the NFL. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted for sure.
  4. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Honey Badger has the IQ of Honey Dressing, I can see him being another pacman type.
  5. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I mean if it's Honey Mustard Dressing I'd be okay with that. That's some good stuff.
  6. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I don't think that's true. I think they would have moved up and taken Barron if Claiborne wasn't there. If my memory serves me correctly--which it often doesn't, but hopefully it will this time--Stephen addressed how safety was one of the positions they were looking to address in the first round in one of the interviews CowboyJoe posted.
  7. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    I'm not sure Tyrann Mathieu can project as a S with his size and weight. (5-9, 175)

Even as a corner he will be considered small for NFL standards.
  8. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I prefer Eric Reid. (LSU)
    Position: Safety
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 208 lbs.
  9. GroundUp

GroundUp Member

218 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Reid is a baller.
  10. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree. I think they would take a S high in heartbeat. They did it before with Roy, and S is much, much more valuable now in this passing based league. They would only do it for the right type of S though. They aren't going to draft a 4.65-4.7 in the box only type hitter. They would prefer a 4.45 quasi corner ballhawk FS like Earl Thomas or Eric Berry. But a guy who is solid at everything, smart, and can be the QB of the secondary works to ala Barron.

I like Honey Badger but he isn't a FS or a starting CB. Nickel CB but I like him a lot even with the lack of size.

He blows Elburnto Nohandrick off the field.
  11. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Reid is a great player. TJ McDonald is the best FS in college football. Rambo is a very good safety with size. Kenny Vaccaro is a very good coverage safety/nickelback type player. Tony Jefferson has been playing well covering slots and blitzing and playing short zone will be moving to a free safety. He may come out. Robert Lester at Alabama is a fine player with coverage ability. The juco that USC got is a bad, bad, bad man. Ray Ray Armstrong is great. It will be a loaded year, much more so than qb.

That is 7-8 safeties that are better than Harrison Smith.
  12. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know much about Reid but I will. You think TJ is better than Lester?
  13. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,489 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    We wouldn't go for such a small Safety prospect over the other 6 guys next year.
  14. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Eric Reid
    Tony Jefferson
    TJ McDonald
    Bacarri Rambo
    Robert Lester
    Kenny Vaccaro

And those are guys just off the top of my head, the safety class is LOADED next year. The best class I can remember in quite some time. One of the reasons I wasn't a proponent of drafting Barron that high this year.
  15. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,807 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    You want attitude and toughness.......Kenny Vaccaro.....all day long.

I would love to leave next year's draft with 3 defensive players:

OLB Alex Okafor
    SS Kenny Vaccaro
    FS Robert Lester
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    ST Ace, I could see it. I don't think he could be a full time safety in the NFL. He's just too small.
  17. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Him or Ray-Ray Armstrong will do nicely.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Football pedigree. His dad is future Hall of Famer Tim McDonald. Look him up. He's a Garrett type of guy too.

As you can see, I'll be pounding this drum from now until next year.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,533 Messages
    1,797 Likes Received
    Didn't Rambo enter the supplemental draft?

I wouldn't be shocked if we took a 3rd round flier on him. Actually, I'd be all for it.
  20. Salrandin

Salrandin Member

30 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tyrann is a bit too small for my liking and plays a little dirty at times resulting in penalties. I am very encouraged to hear that there are so many good safety prospects coming out next year and pray that we get one of them.