1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tyrone Crawford at DT?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 22, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    Team Positon Player Height Weight Forty Ten-Yard

Chicago SDE Corey Wootton 6'6 270 4.92 1.66
    Seattle SDE Red Bryant 6'4 323 4.90 1.70

Cowboys ??? Tyrone Crawford 6'4 285 4.78 1.69
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    So why bother having message boards? Why not just visit a "news" site, read what Jerry says and consider is gospel? No need to discuss anything if JERRY FREAKING JONES blesses us with his vast football knowledge.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    After Singleton left then Kiffin went with Ryan Nece and 1 year Ian Gold. Both were under 230, both were also JAGS. Not exactly a position that Kiffin felt needed a quality player to play it. Roach isn't exactly highly regarded either.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Seems like the perfect 4-3 SDE to me. :D
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,211 Messages
    2,833 Likes Received
    IMO, Crawford will play some at both positions. I think he has the athleticism to play SDE, but he doesn't have enough to be a serious edge rusher. He is athletic enough to be a serious pass rush threat from a DT position though.

I could see Crawford playing DE on running downs and then kicking inside in passing situations.

No matter what, I'd bet Marinelli is looking at him as a big asset and a versatile piece on the line because he can do so much.

In passing situations, obviously we'd want Spencer back to play at SDE. However, if we don't sign him a guy to keep an eye on IMO is Alex Albright. The guy is 6-5, 260 and has plenty of athleticism for a DE. He's strong, and never stops coming. The fans might not know much about him, but I promise you the coaches do. The guy is a good football player and he fits as a 43 DE much more than he does as a 34 OLB, if you ask me.

He might not be a star, but he's a piece to the puzzle.
  6. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,239 Messages
    1,441 Likes Received
    I think you missed my point. My point was that the position doesn't call for a big guy who can't cover.
  7. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    You never had a point.
  8. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I think Roach is a FA. Wouldn't surprise me to see Kiffin/Marinelli bring in a few guys versed in their system. Most coaches tend to do this.

Israel Idonije might be another possibility.
  9. xwalker

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to see where Albright plays.

He has been one of my "pet cats" (mostly him and Parnell the past 2 years) since he got here.

I was surprised how fast he appeared in the games at ILB.

He is at a point that he either needs to go max bulk in the off-season to play SDE or try to keep his weigh low if he is going to play SLB.
  10. xwalker

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    Those seem like reasonable cost FAs that will expedite the process.

Maybe they can just sign all of the Bears defensive Free Agents.:rolleyes:
  11. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    He's probably more suited to play end.
  12. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I don't think either one would be all that expensive. I'm not saying sign all of their free agents, but both would address a hole in the line up with the switch to the 4-3 and bring experience to the defense.

Not sure why you think it is that terrible of an idea.
  13. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,239 Messages
    1,441 Likes Received
    Actually I did... you just missed it... comprehension goes a long way.
  14. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Well I'm just happy to see so many positive thoughts on Crawford cause after the draft last year some people didn't seem too high on him.

Wherever he ends up, glad he's on the squad cause we need some youth in this DL especially with the move to the 4-3.
  15. xwalker

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    You misunderstood. I like the idea.

The suggestion to sign all of the Bears Free Agents was not intended to be a smart-arse comment. I think that the one big Free Agent that the Cowboys might have in their sights is the Bears DT Melton.
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Oh I see, sorry. I was confused by the eye rolling thing.

I doubt the Bears let Melton get away. Definitely need some DL upgrades.

SOLB is the position I'd worry the least about. I actually think Wilbur might be better suited to that position in the 4-3 than OLB in the 3-4.
  17. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    No, really you didn't.
  18. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    this same thing a week ago.

Remember that when the Cowboys were dominanting the NFL with a 4-3, the starting defensive tackles were Tony Casillas ( 6'1, 275 lbs ) and Russell Maryland ( 6'1, 280 lbs ).. Leon Lett was the biggest one of them all and he was a rotation guy. Chad Hennings was also a big dude, but he didn't start until after the 3rd SB, if I remember correctly. Jimmy Jones wasn't big either.

In this particulary scheme is not the size of the DTs, but the quickness that count. They're taught to shoot the gaps upfield to disrupt the running game on their way to the QB.

They key, though, is having a very productive ROTATION in order to keep the Crawford type players fresh. They cannot be playing 50, 60 snaps per game because they will get worn out.
  19. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,139 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    Especially now considering our DT's are drunken idiots.
  20. xwalker

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    Yep, some things are difficult to convey on a message board.

The :rolleyes: icon was aimed at my own suggestion to just sign all the Bear Free Agents.