1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

UCLA LB Akeem Ayers is considering early declaration for the N.F.L. draft.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 3, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.ocregister.com/sports/draft-278249-rosario-ayers.html

LOS ANGELES – UCLA strongside linebacker Akeem Ayers, projected as a first-round draft choice in the 2011 NFL draft, said he has not set a timeframe for deciding on whether to return for his senior season.
    Bruins wide receiver Nelson Rosario, who entertained thoughts of entering the draft but has been slowed by injury much of the season, said he will be back in 2011.

•UCLA's Forbath wants a shot at record, USCAyers has been projected as going as high as a top 10 pick in next April's draft and has been rated by several scouting services as the nation's top outside linebacker prospect.
    Ayers has recorded 65 tackles, 91/2 for loss, four sacks, two interceptions and recovered a pair of fumbles.
    The deadline for underclassmen entering the draft is Jan. 15.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not overly impressed with Ayers as much as others are.

He reminds me of a less physical Karlos Dansby. I think Ayers can be a productive player, but I'm probably a little old school in that I like slobber-knocker type linebackers over finesse run-around-a-block types.
  3. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,662 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Ayers, despite playing for a pansy of a school, is incredibly athletic and has a knack for making big plays. He could probably play any 3-4 or 4-3 LB position at the next level.
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,174 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    He is so versatile. He can play 3-4 OLB at times due to his size but I think he is a best fit in a 4-3 OLB scheme. He can cover and run from sideline to sideline. Pretty unique, considering not many 4-3 OLBs are 6'4"
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Carter from NC can play any LB position also

Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
    Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
    10/9/10: Carter has been a bright spot on the Tar Heel team that has been surrounded with controversey. He's a big-hitting linebacker with great range and athleticism. He'll likely get drafted in the first round - his best fit is as a 4-3 weakside linebacker

I would love to see him at Bradies spot
  6. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    He'd be a project, but I wonder if he could play the weak side ILB position in a 3-4.

Having a dynamic athlete there could be quite a weapon.
  7. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,718 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    better fit in 4-3 than 3-4 backer. High risk if you are considering him for 3-4 OLB.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    Ayers, if you think he'd be a better fit in a 3-4, would make an excellent nickel guy.
  9. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Q: What do you call a wide open USC receiver deep down field?

A: Incomplete.

Ayers has had to deal with playing for a defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough who has managed to make Ayers and Moore look average with his "scheme" that is on a high school football level.
  10. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,128 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That's exactly where I'd put him.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,656 Messages
    598 Likes Received
    At under 230 lbs and with his range/speed, Carter is better suited for Brooking's (weak ILB) spot. Move Sean Lee to Bradie's (strong ILB) spot.

And Akeem Ayers would be an upgrade over Anthony Spencer IMO (Ayers actually bigger, faster, more agile and more versatile - plays 4-3 OLB and rush end) but if the Cowboys are going to draft another pass rusher to play opposite Ware, then I would prefer the more explosive Robert Quinn.
  12. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You said it right there, Quinn > Ayers if you're looking for a pass rushing threat opposite of Ware.
  13. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received

well where ever they can be sussessful at