1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

UDFAs' total money guaranteed

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AdamJT13, May 11, 2012.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,016 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    Yesterday, I posted a list of the signing bonuses that we handed out to our first 21 UDFAs. Later, a report came out that Ron Leary was guaranteed an additional $205,000. I was able to confirm that and found four more UDFAs to whom we gave partial salary guarantees. I'm pretty certain that guaranteeing part of a UDFA's salary is something new, as a way around the new limit on how much in signing bonuses a team can give UDFAs.

This new list gives a more accurate picture of how the team views these players and answers questions about why some UDFAs did not receive a signing bonus --

Code:
    G Ron Leary  		 $214,000 ($9,000 SB, $205,000 of salary guaranteed)
    WR Tim Benford  	 $20,000 ($0 SB, $20,000 of salary guaranteed)
    WR Saalim Hakim		 $17,500 ($10,000 SB, $7,500 of salary guaranteed)
    LS Charley Hughlett  	 $10,000 ($0 SB, $10,000 of salary guaranteed)
    T Levy Adcock  		 $9,000
    LB Aston Whiteside  	 $5,000 ($2,000 SB, $3,000 of salary guaranteed)
    G Harland Gunn  	 $5,000
    T Jeff Adams  		 $4,000
    TE George Bryan  	 $4,000
    T Taylor Dever  	 $4,000
    LB Adrian Hamilton  	 $4,000
    T Tyrone Novikoff  	 $4,000
    RB Darrell Scott  	 $4,000
    TE Andrew Szczerba  	 $4,000
    S Eddie Whitley  	 $4,000
    CB Isaac Madison  	 $2,000
    WR Cole Beasley  	 $1,500
    RB Lance Dunbar  	 $1,500
    WR Donavon Kemp  	 $1,500
    CB Lionel Smith  	 $1,500
    CB Troy Woolfolk  	 $1,500
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,649 Messages
    6,346 Likes Received
    So the guys who didn't receive so much as a ham sandwich as a signing bonus, got guaranteed money should they make the team.

Nice workaround by the team. I wonder if other teams used that same method.
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,016 Messages
    493 Likes Received
    They get the guaranteed part of their salary even if they get cut. They just don't get it right now.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,649 Messages
    6,346 Likes Received
    Oh wow.. I see some team complaining and that loophole being closed at some point.
  5. rkstevens

rkstevens New Member

201 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm sure John Mara is on the phone at this very moment with Roger Goodell discussing how the Cowboys should be punished for violating a rule that doesn't exist. The Redskins will also be punished for having ugly uniforms.
  6. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    so leary pretty much made the team
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,525 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    I think the team figured that if he can't make it that it is for health reasons and we'd be on the hook for $$$ anyway as we'd have to IR him
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,340 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    Hughlett's a bit of a surprise at $10,000 guaranteed considering Dallas has Ladouceur. Either that was the going rate to get an LS into camp or the Cowboys are hoping he might be good enough that they can get younger at the position.

Of course, I'm thinking $5,000 guaranteed wouldn't hold any real significance, so for Dallas that probably holds true for $10,000.

Also, the Benford deal shows Dallas might think more highly of him than it seemed with the $0 bonus.
  9. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

But we'll still get some sort of punishment for violating the spirit of the RFA bonus limit.:rolleyes:
  10. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,550 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    man, you beat me to it!! :laugh2:
  11. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't see it that way.

I believe the rookie salary minimum for 2012 is $390,000, with everyone else making considerably more. So, I don't believe that incurring $214,000 in dead money for this season would prevent the Cowboy from cutting him, if he is not any good.

This is obviously not something you want to do a lot of, or the team will wind up with salary-cap problems. But, I am glad the Cowboys have figured out a way to circumvent that ridiculously low UDFA cap and spend some more of Jerry Jones' money in an instance where they think a player has a good chance to really help the team.
  12. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,960 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    It's probably the reason Leary came here.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    LS is one of the most under rated positions and we have one of the very best in the NFL. More likely a camp body with some hope then any expectation
  14. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,843 Messages
    1,447 Likes Received
    I was hoping for Tim Benford late in the draft so to see him getting a little love by the Cowboys is a good thing...he was offensive POTY in his conference last season...
  15. rickster14

rickster14 Member

143 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm sure the team can handle the $250K cap hit if Mara and crew start complaining AGAIN.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Well he probably also thought he had a good shot at making the roster over guys like Killa, Nagy, Costa and Arkin. We'll probably keep 6 interior OL and right now I"d say only two of those spots are guaranteed on the roster - Livings and Mack. So there are 4 spots up for grabs and all he has to do is beat one of the four guys I just mentioned.
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Perhaps, but it never hurts to look.

If we can find someone just as good but who is younger and cheaper we could cut JP and sign the kid.

Every bit counts with the salary cap.

JP could probably find a job elsewhere in the league in this scenario because he doesn't miss - every snap is good.

Having said that, the chance anyone is going to cleanly beat JP is pretty remote for a guy on top of his game like JP is.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    But how do we KNOW the new guy would be as good? Since we would have to cut JP before the season; before the kid had seen the real pressure.

Frankly a couple of million a year for perfect snaps and no worries there is a cheap price. Considering one bad snap can lose a game.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I wouldn't pay the long snapper more than I would pay the kicker.

I would pay him about what I would pay a league average punter.

Anything more than that is money wasted and we should search for a cheaper alternative.

To maximize the use of cap space you have to get efficiency out of every dollar paid. If someone else can do the job nearly as well for 1.6M savings then you make the move.

As for how he will do in games, you have college tape to look at. Then you can watch him long snap a few thousand times during TC and PS if you so desire. If he has proven he can do the job under pressure in college and shows great proficiency in the camp you go ahead and make the move.