1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

UFC signs 8 Year Deal with FOX

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by TheCount, Aug 18, 2011.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,628 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
  2. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,179 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    MMA has come a long way since i first started watching. I remember having to buy Russian bootleg VHS tapes from a martial arts equipment store for the first 25 or so UFC events if i wanted to watch and I'd be lucky to watch them the same year they happened.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,272 Messages
    2,688 Likes Received
    Sounds cool but I doubt you'll get a whole lot of the main draws. They'll still PPV out the *** for the big fights.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,793 Messages
    7,542 Likes Received
    Thinking the same thing.
  5. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,179 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    This probably means more UFC fight nights
  6. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,091 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    Best part? TNA is now not only the highest rated show on SPIKE, but it is also the best for advertising dollars.

I feel FOX will lose out on this deal, UFC pulls 1.1 or less on SPIKE, TNA outdraws that weekly. If UFC starts drawing 3.0's, I hope it'll take TNA to drawing 3.5's next.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,628 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    From what I understand, FOX with get 4 major cards per year. Those would be cards that would normally be PPV, and probably all 4 will have championships on the line.

FX will get 32 cards throughout the year, far more than they've been showing per year on Versus and FX.

And then on top of that, they will sprinkle in some PPV fights.

No matter how you look at it, there will be more cards and more fights available for free.

TNA is not a sport, it's entertainment programming.
  8. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,741 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    :bang2: wrestling...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:hammer:
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,628 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    Correction, it's a 7 year deal, not 8.
  10. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

12,219 Messages
    275 Likes Received
  11. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,688 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's the best part... :rolleyes:
  12. MarionBarberThe4th

12,219 Messages
    275 Likes Received

I think they will be pretty much on par with the PPV's. The advertising dollars from broadcast will make up the difference. And if its less then its worth it to get UFC in more homes and more exposure and legitimacy. A big Brock/Dos Santos fight on FOX gives a lot of viewers a free sample and a platform to promote the PPV the next week.

I still think they need to get ESPN a taste so they actually pay attention to it.
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

12,219 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    TNA's ratings were in all the headlines
  14. MarionBarberThe4th

12,219 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    So it starts Nov.12, I see a few good games on the college schedule there. Stanford/Oregon will be on ABC. Thats tough counter-programming.

4 fights a year I wonder if they schedule it out to avoid as much competition as possible or go quarterly all the way through.
  15. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,091 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    For me? Yes.

For a UFC fan? No.
  16. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

23,874 Messages
    2,801 Likes Received
    So does this mean no more UFC fights/reruns on Spike? Does this mean The Ultimate Fighter moves to FOX from Spike?
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,628 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    TUF moves to FX, and the fights will be aired live with clips from the week and clips from the coaches training camps for their own fights. Basically it's Countdown meets TUF.

Less soap opera, more fighting based. Definitely an improvement.

I believe the UFC and Spike are done, so no more UFC content on Spike period. I'm guessing UFC Unleashed will move to FX as well.
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,928 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received

You're comparing their ultimate fighter show, and the occassional small time show, to fight cards that will be more of the PPV variety with big fights on them, and championship fights.

This isn't the same thing that SPIKE is getting. This is a bigger deal with FOX, for better cards, and will absolutely draw more than that 1.1 That's my guess on it anyway.
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,518 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    But it will give them more exposure. If people really enjoy it, then they will have new subscribers to watch the PPV so they can see the big names. Also, watching up and comers establish a career then go to ppv will be a draw...

It's a really good move by UFC...
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,928 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    If thats the case then this likely doesn't work out for TNA the way that R2A was hoping it would.

Although I'm not sure why he's bringing up TNA in a conversation about UFC on FOX anyway. lol