1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Uh oh, tight end trouble

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jul 16, 2013.

1. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I don't have it backwards as all, you'd have to go back and read how this started, I said Garrett has drafted well, then someone said to me Jerry runs the draft still... So my reply was to indicate that Garrett has a lot of influence about how this roster is shaped... You can just see how different the roster is and the types of players Garrett likes, so I don't really know what you are talking about
  2. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

648 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    we knew he could block when we drafted him, he has hands tho...
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,477 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    I like fisher but I don't see Escobar being the block tight end he's thinking he's going to be pass catching tight end flanked out. This was all a romo pick and I guarantee he's used to his ability. I bet he will have more Tds then Jason or Hanna
  4. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,404 Messages
    517 Likes Received
    Yes, Garrett has a ton of input. Jason has given his play-calling duties to Callahan so Cally can eventually take over. Jason was really happy in the war room when Frederick the Giant's name was called. Next I look forward to Jason banning jerra from the sidelines and making personnel decisions.

You seem to half a sense of humor. I like it. Garret has a ton of input . . . I laff so hard the 1% milk came up mah nose. LOL.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  5. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,987 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Absolutely. To complement the WRs and help Witten who is starting to show some speed issues. The guy can catch about anything. I think he and Romo start to play alot of pitch and catch soon.

We'll see.

What I don't see is panic like this writer indicates..ain't happening unless an injury occurs..oops..zip my lips.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    And the whole point of a 3TE set or a 12 set is that you have guys who can block and catch passes. Apparently, Escobar is one dimensional. I have a feeling we're going to regret not taking Eifert. That guy will be a star in this league.
  7. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    For us, 2TE set would be for the red zone. We have way too many good receivers to run a 12 otherwise.
  8. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,405 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    From what i've read Hana is coming along well. So i for myself skip posts from Fisher on this one. Way too negativ to be real.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,453 Messages
    2,797 Likes Received
    We run the 12 set a lot and do very well with it. Having good WRs makes 2 to 5 WR sets work better and help the 12 and 13. Move TEs aren't inline blockers. They do need to block though although you run different plays for different skill sets of players. That's how coaches play to player's strengths. Escobar should be able to be a H back some but that's an assumption. I'm not counting on Escobar to inline block or play a lot of snaps as a F Back. It'll be interesting to see how they use Hanna and Rosario.
  10. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    You seem to half a sense of humor. I like it. Garret has a ton of input . . . I laff so hard the 1% milk came up mah nose. LOL.[/quote]

Glad you got a kick out of it but I was serious, The way this roster is built is very different from years past, so I think your being a little bit naive to think Garrett had nothing to do with that.
  11. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    UGH I know. And it could have worked out for us to have taken Eifert in the first and still gotten Fred in the second.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    That's what I'm saying.
  13. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,477 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Honestly bench press doesn't mean all that much in the NFL. I'm 6 foot and bench 225 13 times. Does that mean I'm stronger than Escobar ? No probably not. It's just really a bench mark for these guys to go by which is bull to be honest
  14. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,404 Messages
    517 Likes Received
    Glad you got a kick out of it but I was serious, The way this roster is built is very different from years past, so I think your being a little bit naive to think Garrett had nothing to do with that.[/quote]

I did not means to be flip. Well, actually, i was flip with that. But, dude! Me naive to think Garrett had nothing to do with the roster? There might be some truth in that. I just think that Garrett is overshadowed way too much by Jerra.
    A ton of input? I would say a smidgen of input. Can we shake on that?
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,079 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Have been impressed with what I have seen from Gavin Escobar since he has taken over the role as the second tight end for James Hanna in this “12” personnel package. Escobar has done a solid job in his route running in regards to clearing space to create routes behind him but also managing to work himself when he has been the primary receiver in the route. He has shown dependable hands underneath but down the field as well. He took a big hit from Barry Church during practice on Tuesday in the 7-on-7 period and managed to secure the ball.

His hands have been outstanding and his blocking on the move has been good. Where he will need to get better is learning how to position his hands inside, not to allow any separation with the defender. The really good tight ends in this league know how to hold and that is something that he will pick up. What might be Escobar’s best trait at this moment is that the game has not looked too big for him. He has look comfortable and for a rookie with a ton on his plate, that is at times difficult to do.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...teran-CB/4f06b4b7-219a-4ebc-af01-1c348452b0a0

Escobar has never been asked to block, he may never be a great blocker but through practice and technique I think he can become effective. Novacheck was a guy people claimed could not block but did a decent job at it. Give this kid some time.
  16. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,742 Messages
    1,086 Likes Received
    I was extremely surprised we took a TE with our 2nd pick. I hope it doesn't backfire on us.
  17. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,417 Messages
    874 Likes Received
    Assuming we could have landed Frederick in the second (and I'm very skeptical), you would rather have Eifert over Escobar AND Williams?
  18. German Corner

German Corner Member

49 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    e
  19. German Corner

German Corner Member

49 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    escobar was drafted to catch the ball just like hanna, not to block. they will be fine. they will not make definitive blocks on run plays but will make first downs through the air...my prediction.
  20. German Corner

German Corner Member

49 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I was counting down the picks to our second pick just begging for us to draft lacy the Alabama running back then go after escobar. I think we could have done that. with lacy relieving murray about a third of the time we would have the dynamite offense we all are hoping for. I'm convinced the offense will be potent but much better with lacy. I've talked to some green bay people and they are ecstatic they got lacy. my take is he was the best pick in the draft hands down...

go cowboys!
    ufcrules1 likes this.