1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

um, yea, so what to do with Cuba?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by jterrell, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I can't stomache responding in the same week old threads but miss the political debates here so ...

Cuba.

As a fan of historical reads I find Cuba rather fascinating.
    The ties with Che' Guevara that are played up more then what they probably really were, the Bay of Pigs saga, the possible Kennedy issues, the attempted mob hits on Castro... the whole enchilada is fascinating to me.

Now as Fidel nears death, his brother is over 70 and change is inevitable.

Do we play a role or stay out of there business?
    Do we drop the embargo?

Can I get a Cuban cigar for a reasonable price anytime soon?
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Hard to say... I have wondered that as well...

You know that the Cuban population in South Florida will push for us to get involved...

He has six sons I believe, but I don't know their political involvement/leanings.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    i would have to think that his power filtered down to his sons and if they can grab control, would. however, it would be interesting to see if they *want* to change.

my initial reaction is leave 'em alone. if they want change and reach out to us, let's listen. but leave the vulture scenario at the door please.
  4. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    Feel the same way. If they reach out than we can open talks...otherwise just stay out of it. We have put our nose in too many other countries over the years and it usually winds up biting us in the butt.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    You may find this of interest.

I think there was a story yesterday that Hugo Chavez had a glass monument of some sort erected somewhere in his country. It was a monument in honor of
    Che' Guevara.

It was up a couple of days before someone came and shot the thing up and destroyed it.

You can probably google it and find the story and a picture of the monument (not huge by any stretch) after it was destroyed.
  7. thescarface1989

thescarface1989 New Member

430 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Castro is sort of a fixation for the US. I don't think it matters who is in charge afterwards. They will probably be a little less ideological than Castro, and they won't be the 'black beast' that Castro is in American thinking. Things will open up after he dies, and the only question is by how much and how fast.

Though I think the crazed Miami Cubans who think they are going to waltz in and buy the country back are going to be sorely disappointed.
  9. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    We drop the embargo when they drop communism, its that simple, i wish we had done the same with China 30 years ago.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,147 Messages
    4,336 Likes Received
    :bow:
  11. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    Why would we have to wait till they dropped communism.

If we only dealt with countries that did not have the form of government we approve of we would hardly have anyone to talk with.

Also maybe Castro was getting soft in his old age but he did offer to send a hurricane recovery team to the USA right after katrina hit.

One could argue that Cuba has as much, if not more, exp when it comes to hurricanes.

But we turned that offer down flat.

So he did offer a little something and was turned down. I think it only reinforced his dislike of the USA.
  12. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Politcal posturing my friend, a PR stunt and nothing more, like taking pictures with the Pope when he himself is agnostic, like Arafat having pictures of himself giving a pint of blood to the Red Cross to take to New York after 9/11 while his people danced in the street and chanted death to America.

Like Iranian Prez A-somethinn' another wanting to lay a wreath at ground zero.

All posturing and nothing more.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    So we turn down help because we don't want to give him press for his political posturing.

Meanwhile people who could have been helped were not.

Seems like a pretty petty thing to worry about if someone is offering much needed help.

If anything the country needed help in that disaster relief effort as it would appear the administration had its collective head up its butt.

You are doing a good job brownie..but screw that castro because he is only posturing.:laugh2:

I think I would rather have some posturing with good end results over posturing that proved to have terrible results.
  14. arglebargle

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received

Like American consumerism hasn't been based on cheap communist labor for over a decade?
  15. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    There are other venues that could've been established and who said the current paradigm was anything less than lamentable?

India, Brazil or Mexico could've been used or better yet an effort to remain a self-sufficient nation, there's a novel idea.
  16. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I think the blame put on the federal government is for the most part conjecture, the state and locals failed first and worst and several decades of questionable decision making led to the debacle.

Woe to he that trusts government to fix all problems, that is the chief blame of katrina, why did people trust big government to come to the rescue to begin with.

Under the circumstances and the red tape of being big governemnt Uncle Sam did the best it could.
  17. arglebargle

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received

Just as the Greeks sent help to Turkey during their last terrible earthquake aftermath. And they accepted it, and were impressed.

Castro, though, is this special case. The US will find rationales to deal with Communist China, Communist Vietnam, looney dictators in Tajikistan, stone cold killers and dictators of most stripes. But Castro was imprinted too strongly on the pysche back in the '60's. Til he dies, nothing will change.
  18. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    and didn't the Greeks give Troy a wooden horse? :D
  19. arglebargle

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Here we agree. I was following Vincente Fox's presidency in Mexico a bit, and one of the problems he had economically was losing their $2 an hour jobs to China where they paid 44 cents an hour, or to Vietnam, where it was 23 cents an hour. The only reason I had any good thoughts about Nafta (Perot was dead on it appears) was that I thought it might at least help Mexico. Doesn't look like that has happened that much. Though the highway route to Mexico City is sure much nicer.

I am amazed that no one sees all the off shoring of critical industrial components as a persistent risk to American self sufficiency.

On the Castro beef though: The USA has used all sorts of rationales to profit from a lot of questionable countries. Most of those rationales would apply similarly to Cuba. But Castro is special.....

Pus there is that S. Florida voting block.....
  20. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,270 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

You are side stepping the original point.

I know it is fun to blame one side or the other about katrina. Each were equally to blame.

However you a country that offered help, a country that once again has as much if not more exp in Hurricane recovery...yet we turn it down because they are communist or we are afraid of giving them a chance for political posturing.

Maybe instead of worrying about political posturing and communism we should have worried more about are own people.

Ya think?