1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Unintentional case study of the young sports fan in DFW

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Feb 19, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,128 Messages
    1,197 Likes Received
    An interesting observation.

My fourth grader had an assignment in which her class acted out a play. Each kid was asked to wear a jersey to class, which was part of the story. Won't bother you with the details.

Interestingly, here's the breakdown of the 22 kids in the class.

6 Mavericks jerseys - all Dirk
    5 Rangers jerseys - 2 Kinsler, Hamilton, Young, Darvish
    2 Stars jerseys - Modano, Morrow
    2 Texans jerseys - Watt, Johnson
    1 Broncos jersey- Manning
    1 Yankees jersey - Jeter
    1 Barcelona jersey - Messi
    2 youth soccer jerseys
    1 youth football jersey
    1 pink Cowboys jersey - Miles Austin

Just an average suburban DFW class. Not one boy with a Cowboys jersey on.

17 years and counting.......
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    The 80's and 90's fan base are slowly eroding. I have a 4th grade boy and if it wasn't for me "pushing" the Cowboys, he would never follow them. I listen to his friends and none of them follow the Cowboys. They all follow teams that get to the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Jerry has already lost a generation of football fans, he's starting on another.
  3. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    DFW has been a "What have you done for me lately" city for a while now. It has less to do with the mediocre play of the Cowboys and more to do with the success of the frnachises in other sports. You also have to take into account "Texas Pride" and the overwhelming success of Texas franchises as a whole.

It's just a shame no one had a Spurs jersey, as they're clearly the class of the state and have been for a while now.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,656 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    My son's school had a jersey day (college and pro) earlier this year and at least 1/3 of the kids had Cowboy jerseys.
    There were a bunch Rangers jerseys too. Some Mavs and one or two Stars jerseys.
    The other jerseys were mostly college (LSU, Texas, etc).

I would say the sample size was about 100 kids.

So that one school study, as always, is not indicative of an entire data pool.

I agree that far less Cowboys gear is worn by the kids now than in the 90s (or eaven ealry 2000s) but I think it's still near the top.
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,128 Messages
    1,197 Likes Received
    If you're a junior in college, you've only witnessed one Cowboys playoff win in you cognizant life.

That's the problem.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,656 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    Brutal reality that they must change.:star:
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,587 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    That and football seasonis over with and NBA season is currently going on. It would obviously skew the Op's numbers.

Although I'm not sure why it matters to me how many Cowboys fans there really are. All that matters to me is if I like the team or not.

YR
  8. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

271 Messages
    131 Likes Received

I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but its common knowledge that the most fair-weather Cowboys fans are the ones that live in Dallas. Its embarrassing for the rest of us when we visit the stadium and the natives are sitting on their hands. Of course, thats if they didnt sell their tickets.

I live in Round Rock now, but Ive lived in Austin and San Antonio. I have friends/Family in West TX and Houston. I can tell you without a doubt that there are still a ton of Cowboys fans. I coach my sons Flag team, Id say its greater than 70%. In fact, the Cowboys are the =>ONLY<= kids flag team that runs out of jerseys.... every.single.season.

Just one guys opinion.

PS - Go visit San Antonio if you want to see what real Cowboys support looks like.
  9. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

861 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I live in California and I know just as many Cowboy fans as I do 49er and Raider fans. I know more Cowboy fans than I do Charger fans! lol I went to training camp in Oxnard and you literally see Cowboy fans for days, it's amazing how many there are. With that being said, like a poster above had stated, I could care less how many people like my team, it only matters whether I like them or not. :star:
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,641 Messages
    1,110 Likes Received
    If this were done in November it would look entirely different.

Of course kids are wearing Mavs and Rangers jerseys, its in the middle of the NBA season and spring training...
  11. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,365 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Plus the endless attention whoring of their massively insecure owner. Anymore, the Cowboys seem to be more synonymous with Jerry than winning. How many folks want to be subjected to skeletor on a regular basis?...especially kids who are probably frightened at the mere site of him.
  12. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Today in my biochemistry class, my professor started ragging on the Cowboys and the whole class just smirked along with him. I wanted to speak up, but it was an 8:#0 am biochem class, and I was half asleep anyway.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,900 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    Excellent example of how statistics are misleading.

The previous sample size of 1 class in 1 school was statistically meaningless.
  14. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,842 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Dallas isn't a Cowboys town - it's a winners town.

Troy Aikman
  15. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

751 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    If anyone wants take this mission, Google from years past to poll popularity with Cowboys/Rangers/Mavericks/Stars. Nielsen ratings are problematical simply because the Cowboys play a lot fewer games a season than the other three teams, so is it apples-to-apples?
  16. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,483 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    I think it is naive to think that 16+ seasons without normal Dallas Cowboys levels of success has not impacted kids interest in the Cowboys.

Kids just naturally want to be associated with winners.

I am sure there are a ton of kids that are all of a sudden Miami Heat fans, .. 9ers and Ravens fans, etc.

Notre Dame fans have come back out of the woodwork in droves.

And that is not surprising.

But there is a way to fix this. ;)

Are you listening Jerry?
  17. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,234 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Oh brother. :rolleyes: Sorry, not concerned with Elementary likes and dislikes. It has always been that way for as long as I can remember. But whatever.
  18. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,234 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    This observation thread is agenda driven, don't ya know. I agree with what you're saying.
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,612 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    Sell the team, Jerry! Little 4th kids do not like your team.

:cool:
  20. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    You're all missing the point...

Go Spurs Go!