1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Uniter/Divider candidates

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Jan 28, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    There was another thread that talked about Hillary not being a uniter.

So, try and put your partisan politics aside and think of one candidate from EACH party that you would consider the best candidates the party has at being a uniter and another pair from each party that you would view as dividers.

Once again put the partisan views aside...we know some don't like dems and others don't like repubs. Just give a list of who you think would fit the categories from each party. Also list why you feel that way for each candidate.

Let's see if people can actually do so for both sides.

My list.

UNITERS

Republican - John McCain
    Democratic - Barack Obama

I say McCain because he has worked with both party members on various topics over the years. Sure some do not like him because of many issues but I think he would be better than the other candidates.

I say Barack Obama because I think Hillary is the ultimate divider and it is hard for Edwards to be considered a uniter when he is running a platform on Two Americas. I also think Barack is in the unique situation where he can help bridge the racial gap.

DIVIDERS

Democrat - Hillary Clinton. Far and away the candidate with the most chance of continuing to divide the government and people. Bill has not been in the white house for almost 8 years and still people can not get past the Clintons. With Clinton and Bush families controlling the white house for around 15 years I think it is time for a change and I just see no way that the partisan divide would be even remotely fixed with Hillary in office. If anything it will just continue to fester and divide even further.

Republicans - Initially I was thinking Rudy but at this point I think he is a dead candidate. So I will say Huckabee. I don't see him being a divider on the scale of what Hillary would be but I do think he is too Bushish for my tastes now.
    At one time I liked him as a character guy but now he is really rubbing me the wrong way and reminding me a little too much like Bush in terms of justifying his stances with religion and seemingly ok with the idea of changing or circumventing the constitution without thinking it through.

I think the biggest possible divider candidate, by a large degree, is Hillary.

I think the biggest uniter one is a close one with McCain and Obama. I think there are more people that dislike McCain but at the same time McCain has more exp and has worked with both sides on a myriad of topics. Obama could wind up being a big boost in two areas. I think he can be a uniter but I also think it would send a message to the international community that America has finally made a leap forward in some areas.

So there you have my choices and reasons and remember try to pick both categories with both parties.:cool:
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    be prepared for Hilary's shill to come right at you.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    Just just proved my point in another thread.

You persecute others for things but imagine it...you were the first to fail to answer the question in your attempt to persecute others.

Shocking I tell you...just shocking.:rolleyes:
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Uniter-Brainpaint
    Divider-burmafrd

:laugh1:

Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread...
  5. BrAinPaiNt

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    It's ok...I enjoy a good laugh.

But seriously what is your candidates for my original question.
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    In all honesty, I have very little faith in any of them, but my opinion runs along the lines of who you've chosen.

I do think McCain is the most genuine. I think he try's to play the politics game to cover up his genuineness, so his political peers aren't put off by it. They're so full of s___ these days, they would regard honesty as a weakness.

Obama on the other hand I think is less genuine than McCain but much less full of __it than his own Democratic peers.
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hillary is obviously a divider... personality and policy wise.

Obama, it remains to be seen how he would govern. He talks a good game, but I'm curious to see if he would take a hard-line stance once elected.

For the Republicans, much to my chagrin, I find them all to be pretty moderate and I think they'd all work (too well) with Democrat Congress.

You have no idea how quickly Romney will turn left if he gets the nomination. It'll make your head spin. Huckabee, even though he is a strong social conservative, has a long history of embracing some big-government principles. McCain, well his record is clear.

But if you take policy out of it and look to personality, I think Huckabee probably has the best capacity to be a uniter. He's a good speaker and has good humor, which always goes a long way to bridging gaps. And I don't think he's as set in his ways as you may fear, Brain.
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,024 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Uniter - McCain
    Uniter - Obama

Divider - Clinton
    Divider - [SIZE=-1] Romney

Personally I want Huck or Romney to win (even though I think they are both dividers)
    [/SIZE]
  9. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd pick the same candidates too to answer your questions. However, from a party level perspective, McCain has a greater chance of diving the GOP than the country as a whole! Interesting...

I do look forward to a HRC-McCain general election. How can Billary attack him? He's a war hero, high integrity, principled man, and well-liked across party lines.
  10. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Add to that the fact that McCain and Hillary like each other.

My fear is that there's not much difference between the two.
  11. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Since the Democrat side is obvious, I say Romney is the most divisive candidate on the Republican side. I don't think it's necessarily his fault, either. His attack ads have antagonized Huckabee and McCain, and the media seems to write negative stories on him while giving a pass to Huck or McCain. The AP reporter's rant about him lying about lobbyists running his campaign also comes to mind. He's articulate and has no skeletons in the closet unlike Giuliani. For some reason people just don't like him.

But I would be surprised to see any of the four potential Republican nominees (McCain, Romney, Huckabee, Giuliani) having problems working with Democrats in the White House, at least when it comes to economic issues. And really, other than Huckabee, that would also include most social issues.
  12. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    there are a few people i know will jump to the fringes of any argument/discussion. it's a given.

in this instance, however, bp. i'll stick to your topic. i have to agree on both sides. liberman going to mccains side shows they can work across the lines. so i agree there. obama i believe will listen and take points of view into his own resolve as well regardless of the label put onto the group.

clinton - of course - will divide whatever she has to in order to win. she's already diving the democrats up and playing games. she doesn't care she's just power hungry.

hucabee - dunno about that. from what i do know he's just too conservative and seems like he'd get the bible out to make big decisions. i *HATE* that thought. romney - don't know enough about him and will need to start paying attention.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    My candidate is obviously a divider.

She is a moderate but she is not going to win over hardcore conservatives. She has done well with independents(in NY state where she won 67% of the vote in her re-election campaign) and will play better in various parts of the country amongst differing demographics.

Uniters--Barack Obama. He is more liberal than HRC by a ways but has an ability to talk folks into believing. That is a unique power and one that makes him a future President without doubt. He was oft-times a coalition force in Illinois. But what he talks about doing is much like what Bill Clinton did do. As he battles his wife he runs on mostly the same message as BC did.

Repubs-----------
    I think they are all dividers by choice. They are going to run the race and have been running the primaries as anti-HRC, anti-liberalism instead of pro-themselves. That's exactly how Kerry lost btw.

McCain is the most moderate. Romney has a much more moderate record than he has campaigned on. Huckabee is a big social spender.

What I would like to see a candidate do is tell me how he/she will balance the budget, address health care for all Americans, minimize our numbers and money funneled to Iraq, catch Bin Laden, invest is energy that does not produce greenhouse gases and is not produced via a finite resource.

I really think this uniting and dividing talk is overrated. Reagen was a divider, Sr. Bush a divider, Bill was a divider. Jimmy Carter was a uniter but it just happens that he united everyone behind calling for his head as a bad policy man.
  14. iceberg

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    "change" is overplayed.

and i disagree on reagan being a divider but i can see from your POV if they're powerful on "the other side" you must attack them.
  15. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Does it really matter what people think NOW.

The proof is when you actually get into office.

Need I remind people who ran on the platform of "I'm a Uniter not a Divider"?

He's laughing at all of the people who bit into that BS.

[IMG]
  16. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama/McCain - uniters
    Clinton/Guiliani - dividers

The other candidates are not that high on the list. Nver happen, but a combined ticket would be great with McCain and Obama.

The only other person who isn't running that I would have voted for is Lieberman.
  17. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, Reagan had to boldly expose, confront, and rectify failed economic and foreign policy that preceded him. It was necessary to ruffle some feathers...and it was good.
  18. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Sounds just like whoever's going to follow Bush.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    To be a uniter you have to have the other side be willing to meet you halfway. You can have all the good intentions possible but if they are not willing to try it means nothing.
  20. iceberg

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    <looks up irony in the dictionary>

yep. thought that looked familiar. :cool: