1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Unlikely Scenario: Mingo is available at 18

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Feb 18, 2013.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Would you take him?
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Obviously, depends on who else is left but I don't love Mingo. Lots of other players I think I like better.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Think he works out like superman at the combine and goes top 15. 4.5 sacks is worriesome though considering that is what he is going to get paid to do.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Weak POA player IMO. Still a project that needs some developemental, the talent is there though.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,250 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    No.

There would have to be a huge run on defensive tackles and offensive linemen before I would even bother.

He is not much of a fit for the direction we are going in defensively.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    I'd be worried we got ourselves a bust.

You have to ask yourself why a guy with his ability has 14 sacks in three years.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,946 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    Definately something I'd be quite concerned about.

I'm even more concerned due to the fact that he's an LSU guy and I'm just not really all that high on D-linemen from LSU.
  8. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    Marcus Spears syndrome.

What's odd is Mingo's the athletic marvel, but Montgomery gets more sacks. However, Mingo gets a lot more QB pressures. He's active, he just rarely gets there.

Maybe it's a case of Mingo running the QB into Montgomery. I don't know. I just would be afraid to draft an edge rusher in the 1st round with such pedestrian sack totals.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Trust me I'm as weary as the next person on Mingo, but damn is he intriguing. I think it would have a lot to do with how much he weighs in at the combine. If hes below 250 I don't think he can play DE, and he's strictly an OLB.
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I'VE heard that Dallas doesn't like either LSU DE mingo or Montgomery
  11. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    really? who told you that?

Mingo has an elite burst off the edge, at 18 i'd be fine with him but i just dont see where he'd fit. Sam? LDE? It appears to me his best place would be Ware spot at WDE
  12. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    Well that wouldn't scare me off. Ware is aging and appears to be breaking down. He may or may not be effective for several more years. You collect pass rushers. Only in Dallas is one pass rusher enough but I'll take a baker's dozen cornerbacks, please.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Broaddaus mentioned it last week and a friend of mine who is a scout for the bears told me that two weeks ago. Said they aren't looking at the LSU DEs, that they arent say one ready.
  14. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I've personally thought since last summer that he was a bust in the making, still do.
  15. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Wasn't Mingo included in the list of players the LSU strength and conditioning coach listed as guys who are lazy, always have excuses and don't have the heart to play and weren't worth answering questions about?

Pretty positive he was.
  16. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I think it was Montgomery not Mingo. Could be wrong though.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    That was Montgomery not Mingo; although watching them on the field Montgomery appears to be higher-motor player than Mingo.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    Yes, Mingo would be the backup to Ware and the Nickel pass-rusher on the other side. He would get plenty of snaps.
  19. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,459 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Sorry. It's shallow, but all I hear is Bark Dingo.
  20. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    I also have read in a couple of places that the Cowboys aren't in love with Mingo. Broaddus was one of them and you'd think he knows more than the typical Dallas area sports writer about the direction Dallas is looking in.

Personally, I don't like the guy and I like him even less now that we're running a 43. Just not a guy I'd be interested in for a few reasons.