1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Unrealistic Cowboys fans blame Romo

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by DallasDW00ds0n, May 30, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,276 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    I agree with this up to a point. Romo missed a wide open Miles Austin in the Giants game. Now, Austin didn't 'see' the ball and definitely didn't come back for it. And the defense surrendered points and let the Giants back in it.

We could go on and on. Let's just say there have been times when Romo could have done better and plenty of times the team could have.
    RonSpringsdaman20 and CT Dal Fan like this.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Thank you!
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I've never considered Tony "elite" or close to that.

He's very good though. I don't think he is the leader Aikman or Staubach are touted as being.

I kind of expect the gunslinger aspect of his game. It's just who he is & he is fun to watch.

If they'd build that complete team around him he's very capable. Hopefully they are making strides in that direction.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,622 Messages
    2,455 Likes Received
    Brady had three last year. Two resulting in losses. His team on list 4 games.

Manning had two in two losses, but he did have one more try in the qtr before the game ended. They only lost 3 times.

Brees have multiple picks in almost all of their losses, but at least last year, I didn't see any intone lasts omnibuses of the 4th.
  5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Benched

97 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    So why is it guaranteed that we will have more crap QBs after Romo is gone? Isn't that an indictment of Jerry? Maybe, just maybe the next guy is better than Romo, and maybe he won't be, but Romo will retire one day in the not too distant future anyway so the fear of the unknown theme will have to be dealt with anyway (not that I'm saying cut Romo now). If Jerry is a lousy GM then yeah it will be more Hutch and Q Car types. If he does his job then there is no reason why we can't get a good QB after Romo is gone.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    Bwahahahaha yea, our d stopped Stafford cold on that last drive, just one example
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,674 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Lol....back then you were to hard on him, to early. At least IMO. I guess you saw something that at the time I was blind to, I still don't want to believe it, but it's reality
  8. jobberone

39,276 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    The farce is strong with that 27th rated defense.

Or was it next to last in the league.
  9. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,351 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    If the defense would just quit throwing those damn game ending INT's, we'd be awesome!
    Animosity, Wayne02 and ufcrules1 like this.
  10. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received

I stopped reading when you started assigning a point value to blame. I'm not trying to weigh blame here; I'm simply saying you cannot place complete blame on Romo for losses, unless games consisted of 1 play where Romo threw an interception and said interception was returned for a Touchdown...then and only then, could you blame the loss on Romo. But as it turns out, there are more than just that 1 play in games, and typically there are other guys who made mistakes throughout the game that put us in a position to lose. Obviously, Romo throwing an interception at the end didn't help our cause any, but to throw out everyone else's mistake because of the last mistake that Romo was responsible for is a bit misguided.
  11. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

642 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I'm not a huge Romo fan. That said, I can see being mad at Romo for ending games with some bad plays, but I don't know how you can blame him when the team is at the top of the league in scoring and the bottom of the league in defense. If the defense plays for the first 50 minutes of the game, the ball is never in his hands in the last 10. I'm getting the sense that this conversation is a serious retread around here though.
    zack and jobberone like this.
  12. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

907 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    Don't forget the mere 40 first downs allowed to the Saints and the fact the defense couldn't get Denver nor Chicago to punt. Yeah, Romo had lots of help!
  13. jobberone

39,276 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    Yeah, well, maybe we wouldn't be trying to score with time running out if the frackin' defense would hold a lead.

Which one is likely to be more of a problem? The top ten offense (number 5 I think) or the bottom of the league defense???
    RonSpringsdaman20 and CT Dal Fan like this.
  14. CT Dal Fan

907 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    This has been my argument in Romo's favor all along. Romo has had his share of blunders- I'm a Romo fan and I cannot deny it. But if the entire team as a whole steps up in those instances Romo doesn't, things would be different.

Ben Roesthlisberger won a Super Bowl against Seattle completing something like 9 of 21 passes with two picks. Had the Steelers lost that game, his performance would have been called one of the biggest "chokes" in history. But Pittsburgh's defense and running game stepped up, and Roesthlisberger got off the hook.
    zack and jobberone like this.
  15. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,051 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    It's interesting to read other forums. NE fans are saying Brady has already declined, yet he did not have many weapons on offence...if fans pile on him - they will pile on any QB. ;)

Romo is not the biggest factor holding the Cowboys back
    jobberone likes this.
  16. jobberone

39,276 Messages
    4,657 Likes Received
    It's only the umpteenth time we've had this debate. It's still fresh in the hearts and minds of the fans.
  17. CT Dal Fan

907 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    Agreed. For a while, I thought I missed the fact the Cowboys had assembled the greatest roster in team history, and are being held back by the fifth highest rated quarterback in league annals.
  18. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,002 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Uggghhhh dude, as I stated before to win a sb no the division yes. But you guys can take this team to a sb m despite the fact he can't help this team win 9 games in this division.
  19. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Uggghhh dude, he does help win. Every touchdown the Cowboys get is in large part is due to him. The Cowboys averaged 27.4 points per game in 2013. If your defense can't preserve a win with that many point on the board you clearly have more problems than your QB throwing comeback killer interceptions at the end of the game.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,089 Messages
    7,806 Likes Received
    I'd be curious to hear where you thought Tony's game ending interception rate ranked relative to other QBs.

I'm not surprised, but I can't understand why this topic is even debated heavily in a thread. I can't comprehend watching our team and thinking the problem is *anything* other than the defense.
    zack likes this.