1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Unrealistic Cowboys fans blame Romo

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by DallasDW00ds0n, May 30, 2014.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,443 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Nobody is placing complete blame on Romo. All people are saying is he is not blameless. He certainly plays a role in our team being mediocre. He chokes right along with the rest of the team.
  2. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

2,974 Messages
    1,079 Likes Received
    Fair enough
    jobberone likes this.
  3. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

2,019 Messages
    1,429 Likes Received
    And that's what people don't understand.
  4. lostar2009

lostar2009 Well-Known Member

1,157 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Yeah but they did resort to trick plays to win. Also the scheme the D had was pitiful, I'm sorry. I don't blame Romo for that game but I thought he could have done more and involve Dez in the game a little more.
  5. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,927 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    I suppose that is a fair argument...he certainly owns his share of the blame. The problem is there are not too many QB's out there that give the Cowboys a better chance to win..and you certainly cannot expect a rookie to come in and improve on what we have in Romo. It's quite the quandry. I for one wouldn't be all that disappointed if the Cowboys decided to move on and start developing a new QB...I'd accept the growing pains inherent with that move...horrible cap implications aside. But, as I said before, and the OP mentioned, it's ridiculous to put the blame on Romo for not winning a Championship, when the Cowboys have had so many other issues that I would rate well above Romo's negative impact.
  6. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,714 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Take a look at both of those games. Romo was smothered by both defenses. He had about 1.5 secs to make a play and there were 2-3 defenders in his face. The offensive line could not handle the Giants who went on to win it all or the Vikings. From what I remember Romo was sacked 5+ times in each.

Major offensive line failure in both games.
  7. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,220 Messages
    379 Likes Received
  8. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,977 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    Not even close.
  9. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,947 Messages
    1,055 Likes Received
    Don't hold your breath waiting on Section000 to come up with an answer. It's embarrassing that our own fans buy into the national media nonsense. They're supposed to be watching the games.
    In their own twisted minds, Romo haters believe that Romo leads the league every year in "game ending" interceptions. In reality, Tom Brady ended 3-4 games with interceptions last year and had another game he "won" where he came up empty on three game winning drives before the Broncos finally muffed a punt.
  10. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,220 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    How do you know that? Are you in that locker room?
  11. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,927 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    Just curious, who is the leader then?
  12. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,661 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Source: NFL.com>Stats>Players By Name>Player Name>Situational Stats>Season

Off-subject: Recently, a claim was made that I compared Romo with Elway.
    No comparison was made.
    However, this post is an example of a comparison of interceptions by QBs listed above only.​
  13. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Well-Known Member

781 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I don't usually do this as I find myself defending Romo more often than not in the real world, but for those pointing out Tom Brady's end of game INTS last year, just a few things to bear in mind:

1. In the Bengals game, he had Aaron Dobson wide open and the ball hit him directly in the hands and he dropped it, which would have sealed the game.
    2. The 'end of game INT' in the Panthers game occurred on the very last play of the game with no time left/no time outs.

I guess what I'm stating is that if you absolve Romo from blame in several losses with similar results as the above i.e. the 2007 Giants playoff game/2011 Giants game, then you'd have to do the same thing for Tom Brady as similar situations happened to him in his blunders.

My memory is a little foggy on the Patriots loss to Miami that ended in an INT, but I do believe it was a 'hailmary' type of situation where Brady threw a prayer. Bear in mind, Romo very rarely, if ever, throws a hailmary attempt as the last play and generally checks down as we proceed to attempt to play hot potato with laterals.

For the record, my personally opinion is that Romo was not at fault for either of those games since again, it was the last play of the game and in the second game, he led us down the field with zero timeouts in 48 seconds to kick the game winner (which we actually made but Tom Coughlin called a timeout, and the next attempt was blocked by JPP).

Again, sometimes stats don't tell the whole story as many of the other QB's attempt "hailmary" types of plays that end in INT's, which will make their 4th quarter INT rate look worse, where Romo doesn't do this too often. This is why I'm not the biggest fan of always relying on stats, although Romo's stats of 31-10 can't really be argued with too much IMO.
  14. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    If I'd been in a coma since 2007 and woke up today to read this thread, it's like I never missed a beat.
  15. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,220 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    In the Saints game he had one that should of ended the game. But Sean Payton had terrible game management and gave the ball back to Brady. But it was a horrible pick nevertheless.
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,815 Messages
    2,730 Likes Received
    The scoring or points were what I took from your comment about the second nthe defense gives up points. Which is why I said you made a conclusion you might not have meant to.
  17. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

13,357 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    Awesome....so show me a stat where those Int's prevented any of those QB's from making the playoffs, and how many prevented them from winning Rings, those other 3 guys do have rings right? Or am I going crazy?

Oh ok
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  18. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    No, you're back-pedaling and twisting the subject around because the statement you made doesn't hold water. It's okay to be wrong.
    DallasEast and zack like this.
  19. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,661 Messages
    2,108 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Kilyin likes this.
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,902 Messages
    2,555 Likes Received
    LOL ok clearly you didnt watch the Giants game. Romo was sacked once. Manning threw for 163 yrds. That game was what all NFC east games usually are. Ugly and a fight.