1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Update on Miles?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rojan, Nov 24, 2012.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    People think this is a video game. Players never get hurt. Some guys are lucky with injuries. Some aren't. Its that simple. You have guys like Jason Witten who freakishly never get hurt. You have guys like McFadden who just always runs into a injury.
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,606 Messages
    1,055 Likes Received
    And some guys are regularly injured and don't add enough to the team to be worth the cap hit. That's Miles.
  3. rocyaice

5,915 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Oh so I guess since Dez has 2 100 yard games in a row and now he's reliable and its time to get rid of Miles now? Unbelievable. The 1.15 million we are paying Miles Austin is KILLING our cap. Worst money spent. I guess we could've signed Carl Nicks or some other linemen with that 1.15 million.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Is it just luck that some players more durable or is it that their style of play, resiliency of their muscle fibers and tedon to repeated extreme stress or is it the strength of soft tissue like cartilage and ligament. I happen to think both are huge factors but how do you determine it apriori. They can only be guessed at after the fact. The game induces some hits that will injure anyone but then there are some that will hurt some but not others and then there are others that some can avoid.

My best advice would be to avoid college players who had more than 1 major injury (made them miss at least a substantial portion of a game). Anything more than this is suggesting a tendency to injury. This criteria would cause us to miss some players but it will also allow us to avoid many others.

I would suggest the Cowboys use the guy they hired to study unknown statistics to use to the Cowboys advantage. They should study how minor and major reported injuries in college and the NFL affect injury histories in the NFL. It may give them a bit of an advantage in player selection and FAs.
  5. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,937 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Does not matter...

Everybody wants him cut, and thinks he makes no difference. Hope he leaves, along with Romo, and they both have success, while we look like idiots
  6. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Only 10 players had 1200 yards ore more in the NFL last season. So it's not that easy.
  7. rocyaice

5,915 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Well okay how do you feel about Sean Lee and Demarco Murray? Both have been consistently hurt in the NFL. Maybe not so much Sean Lee as Demarco but they've been getting injured on freak accidents. Sean Lee's big toe?

I'm actually not sure why Miles is hurt. Is it his hamstrings that are made out of cotton candy? I'm willing to say he's injury prone. But even injury prone he still offers more to this team with his 1.15 million dollar salary than anyone else that's available.
  8. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,414 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Doesn't really matter because miles ain't getting 1200 this year.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Miles' average salary is about $9M/yr. He is getting paid either through salary or through bonuses but he does get paid a high amount and it will count against the cap. His salary was probably low this year because a chunk was converted into a bonus. He is in his 3rd year of a 6-year $54M contract.
  10. rocyaice

5,915 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    I'm speaking on strictly what he's costing us against our cap. What allows for us to sign and draft players.
  11. rocyaice

5,915 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    He doesn't have to. He's on pace to get 1000 yards on a team that will more than likely have TWO other 1000 yard receivers on it. Three guys with 1000k yards?
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    As far as Murray, I would say that broken bones are a different category as I don't find as much fluctuation for that in player histories and I think anyone would have gotten injured on the tackle last year. The injury this year is likely a ligamentous injury of the foot so that is suspicious injury #1 to me. If he has another, I would not extend him.

As for Lee he had a muscle injury year 1, wrist ligament injury year 2 and now a toe ligament injury year 3. Add on 2 knee ligament injuries in college and I would suggest there is a clear history of tearing ligaments and his are probably not strong enough to have a long NFL career. I would do any extensions with him as heavily incentive based so as not to get caught with a ton of dead cap space should he need to be released due to recurrent injury.

As for Miles, I just believe it has to do with the way he is built with tight muscle fibers. I assume they have tried to strengthen his hamstrings and stretch them out as much as possible - if they haven't his trainers should be immediately fired. Now he seems to me to be lacking his burst this year and this accounts for people's perceptions that he just hasn't gone out and let it out when he has had the opportunity a couple of times and missed catches as a result. I believe that these instances are an indirect result of his old injuries and I think that he will never be that player again which means he is not worth his conract anymore.

As far as Miles $1.15M contract, I'm pretty sure this was a renegotiation where part of his salary was converted to bonus money and his salary number will be much higher next year. If it is just $1.15M again with no bonus money they you keep the guy and try to solve his injury problems with a new set of trainers. If he goes up to about $7-9M then I think his contract needs to be dramatically altered or he should be cut.
  13. rocyaice

5,915 Messages
    548 Likes Received

OH I agree. I'm not sure what his hit next year will be but we don't need to take that cap hit if we can't count on him for next season to play the majority of the games. I always felt with him it was the team being cautious because he'd be playing in the game and out of nowhere you notice he won't be there and you find out at the end of the game he was hurt and he'll be back for next game but ends up missing 4 or 5 games. WE have a lot of injuries like that on this team for some reason.