1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: Update: Stephen Jones conference call...Post #5 and #15 and #67

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jazzcat22, May 13, 2014.

1. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    If that's true, let him retire or go somewhere else. If Romo gets hurt again, this team is finished whether his replacement is Orton or Weeden.

Weeden is the backup, the UDFA they signed is the project on the practice squad. Let's move on.
  2. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,459 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I knew you before when you wouldn't thank somebody @ something.

Man you've changed.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,748 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Man, you're telling me we could've had one of my ultimate pet cats in Bradford vs Hitchens?!?!?!?!?!
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,448 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    With the selection of Lawrence, I think Dallas will be fine at the DE spots. I think we see Crawford/Selvie on the strongside and Lawrence/Mincey on the weakside. That actually is a really nice group IMO. Mincey I think, will be better than people on this board are expecting. At 6-4, 265 he has really nice athleticism and is just a little bigger than Ware was. He should be solid against the run and able to generate a good enough pass rush. I really didn't want to see him as the main weakside end however, which is why I felt a lot like Dallas did, that the price for Lawrence was worth it. With Mincey in rotation with Lawrence, I like what we have there a lot. We should be able to hold against the run and there is definitely the athleticism to get pressure off the edge.

On the strongside, Selvie showed last year that he could hold up fine in a starting role, but as with Mincey, I like Selvie better in a rotation. Crawford has quite a bit of potential, and hopefully he will stay healthy and give Dallas a return on their investment. Those two should be plenty stout in the run game and should provide pressure from that side.

Take Lawrence out of the equation however, and I feel completely different about the ends. His aggressive outside rush was desperately needed and gives me a lot of comfort to know that he is there.

Ealy just wasn't quick twitch enough to give what we needed on the weakside and would have left Mincey and ... maybe Selvie or maybe Ealy. Either one isn't what we want coming off that edge. Perhaps Dallas gets another good guard prospect without the trade, but DE would have been a mess all season. As it is, DE is in much, much better shape and the OL is still going to be a team strength. If they have to have another guard, they can get one in free agency or the draft next year.

I'm rambling, but the more I think about it... the more I feel like they absolutely had to get that last first round edge rusher (Lawrence).

Lawrence's athleticism was a necessity, but his aggressive, tough demeanor is going to be as welcome as his physical skills are. I think he makes people forget about that 3rd rounder pretty quick.
    jjktkk and honyock like this.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,769 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    I agree with you on Mincey, he's been given the "Bernadeau/Livings" treatment by many fans simply because he wasn't an expensive FA.

But the guy played well last season. 352 snaps, 3 sacks, 2 QB hits and 24 pressures. D. Ware had 6 sacks, 8 hits and 34 pressures in 648 snaps.

I'm not saying that Mincey = Demarcus Ware.

What I am saying is that the guy may be more than a garbage pickup. And no, you don't want him starting but at 22 snaps a game (352 for the season) I think the guy can contribute positively. Plus he was decent against the run last year.

Lawrence is a big, big key to all this... And the difference between a poor pass rushing team and one that may tickle the underbelly of mediocre is Lawrence.
    honyock and AsthmaField like this.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,885 Messages
    7,305 Likes Received
    And you would have supported it.
    Mr Cowboy likes this.
  7. MichaelWinicki

31,769 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    Not well.

I was not on the Kony Ealy bandwagon.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,885 Messages
    7,305 Likes Received
    So....

Demarcus Lawrence...or......Kony Ealy and Trai Turner?
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,075 Messages
    2,503 Likes Received
    Great info. Interesting that Stephen is doing the calls now and not Jerry.
    jobberone likes this.
  10. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Better off with Lawrence. But instead of the second guard, how about a 1 tech like Nix? Or a top LB still available? I just wouldn't like the second guard in that situation. Too many needs on defense to ignore to draft Turner.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,765 Messages
    3,437 Likes Received
    Amazing. Thx.
  12. MichaelWinicki

31,769 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    Lawrence.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,448 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    Considering that the offensive line is expected to be very good, and that without Lawrence Dallas wouldn't really have had anyone for WDE except for Mincey... and also considering that Dallas can get another guard next year in free agency or the draft, I will take Lawrence.

While I always said I wasn't crazy about Ealy, I did like Turner though.

All in all, I will take the edge rusher though. We had to have one.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,609 Messages
    5,331 Likes Received
    I bet he'd have said he was dubious, but that we should wait and see how bad it really is. I would have. Then, if it really was bad, we'd say so, and you could ignore it and say we're being cheerleaders about it. But the right thing to do is generally see how they play a single down in even a preseason game before proclaiming you're certain it's a failure.

Lawrence, if that's the choice. But it sounded like we could have traded back with CLE in the first, taken Lawrence, used our second on another defender with the Browns earlier pick, and then taken Turner in the third instead of Martin. That would have been my preference. Not a huge fan of Ealy, though, Chricton was there at that point, too, right?
    Gaede likes this.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,609 Messages
    5,331 Likes Received
    Or, they were looking at a blitzing Willie. I do have a hard time buying that there were only four pressure players who would work for us in this whole draft though, honestly. I can live with Lawrence--and I like him as a player--but I'm suspicious whenever I hear there was only one or two or three of something in a draft. Every year you hear that, and then really, really good players develop into probowlers from those middle rounds. Some of them don't even develop into probowlers, they just come in and play that way from the start.
  16. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    Lawrence.
  17. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,448 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    There are always exceptions, true enough... but evaluation has to come in there somewhere. Dallas thought there was a precipitous drop after Clowney, Barr, Mack and Lawrence, so they acted accordingly.

Nabbing someone later and slating them to be your new edge rusher smacks of just hoping you have an exception.

At least this way, there is a good shot you actually have a good edge rusher.

I always hate taking what is leftover at a position anyway. That gets you guys like Kavika Pittman, IMO.
    jazzcat22 likes this.
  18. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    "Compares as a bigger, tough, better WR than Ogletree."

So really.. nothing like Ogletree at all. Odd way to compare a player to another, lol.
    jazzcat22 likes this.
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,170 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    Coleman had the 5th round grade, or Bishop? If it is Coleman and he shows anything, gotta like his chances of sticking.
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,170 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received