1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Updated: ***Cowboys Players Official Cut List***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyschmps3, Aug 30, 2012.

1. poost

poost Member

625 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Perhaps keeping McGee so the Giants don't pick his brain.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Me neither, but I have less of a problem with it knowing we were going to keep a QB either way.

I just would have taken a chance on getting Carpenter to the PS and held on to either Coale, Lemon or Hamilton, or even Olawale, instead.

I don't think the risk of losing one of them was worth keeping McGee, but again, those players' careers might not turn out to be any better than McGee's.
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    I have to add Olawale to my list.

You know, it's funny looking at this: We exposed three young receivers to waivers and will get at least one of Radway, Coale and Benford to the PS. Of the three, Benford probably showed the most.

People here are going to flip out if we have our choice and choose Benford over Coale.
  4. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    That's the thing, though. Quarterback development is an NFL myth. The idea that you take a quarterback in the fourth round, and if he spends the next four years eating vitamins, studying the playbook, and getting to bed on time he'll lead you eventually to the Super Bowl is a huge NFL myth. Apparently it's a myth our front office believed at one time.

If I used a fourth round pick on a qb, which I absolutely wouldn't, I would expect him to be no more than a backup and no more. A number two if you're lucky. A number three if not. That's what McGee is, essentially.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received

I never thought McGee would ever take Romo's job either but he hasn't shown much improvement and at least you would like to get something in return for a 4th rd pick.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    Wat?!?
  7. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Yeah, and a 9th rounder (Unitas) or a 6th rounder (Brady) or an undrafted free agent (Romo) shouldn't even show up at an NFL training camp cause they will just be wasting roster space. Why draft a QB in the FOURTH round??
  8. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received

Uh...

notsureifserious.jpg
  9. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Fourth rounders who won the Super Bowl ..... Joe Theismann. And he started his rookie year in Toronto.
  10. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    I'm not even gonna bother. You should just close your browser and come back later.
  11. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received

:lmao2:
  12. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    In fairness the majority don't pan out. Every once in a while you strike gold.
  13. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Unitas I believe would be a third-rounder in today's NFL and he didn't stay on the bench long. Brady started his rookie year. He didn't develop on the bench. And I might use a sixth rounder on a qb with a funky college career, like Brady, or Johnson. I would use a sixth rounder ahead of a fourth rounder.

Has Romo won a Super Bowl? I forget.
  14. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    So you're saying he never will? I have to strongly disagree with you there. He's an excellent QB.
  15. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brady threw 3 passes his rookie year 1 for 3 then he started 15 games his second year when Bledsoe took a hit and was lose for the majority of the season
  16. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I just hope we can hold onto Orie Lemon but I think he'll probably be our highest rated practice squad player so I expect him and Coale to be scooped up by other teams
  17. CooterBrown

1,588 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Unitas was cut by the team that drafted him and was a free agent when he signed with Baltimore. Brady started his rookie year because Bledsoe got injured. And if winning Superbowls is the only measure of a QB, then Kelly and Marino were bad too. QB, like most positions is a crap-shoot. You can improve your odds by drafting higher, but you can never say never.
  18. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Fair enough. But almost never will you see a qb ride pine for a few years and later win a championship, unless he's a high pick. This is particularly true of the fourth round. There are a scatterling of examples, but that's it.

My point is that a quarterback either has that talent or not and usally fourth-rounders do not. Brady went late, but he had the talent, and was a starter by his second year. Same is true of Montana. There is almost never a long apprenticeship that helps a mid-round pick.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler.
  20. CooterBrown

1,588 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    "Almost never" I can agree with, but successful teams consistently draft according to their draft board. If your evaluations say that the best player left on the board is a QB, you draft the QB.