1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Updated: ***Cowboys Players Official Cut List***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyschmps3, Aug 30, 2012.

1. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Where was Joe Montana on our draft board?
  2. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,298 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    You know not what you speak of. Stop.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    3rd round (or at least he was the highest on their board when they picked in the 3rd) but they had Staubach, White, and Carano and didn't think they needed him so they took Doug Cosbie instead.
  4. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

981 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    NE is trying to find a trade partner to deal C Dan Koppen, one of the best Cs over the last ten years. Age aside, I would love to add him to our roster!
  5. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He's been cut already.
  6. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,298 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    10 years ago - yes.

5 years ago - yes.

1 year ago - err, ummm, let's look at that medical report.

Now - not a chance. He's worn down. NE will release him because he hasn't recovered from previous injuries. He's just a name, not a player.
  7. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

981 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Thanks, that was quick! We'll see what happens.
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rodgers was groomed, Mark Burnell (hey behind the same starting QB)

Those are more recent examples
  9. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,084 Messages
    4,560 Likes Received
    What about Johnny U, Brady, Romo just as a start.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Garrett seems like he's going with a hard and fast rule that he's going with 3 QBs at all times. I don't like keeping 3 QBs period when you have a backup as solid as Orton, but if you are going to go that route McGee is fine. First of all he's mobile, so he's a guy who can run the naked boots and roll outs on the scout team for the defense to prepare for RG3 and Vick. Second of all, he's been in the offense years so he doesn't need a lot of hand holding or reps. Finally, he proved in his 2010 start against the Cardinals he can at least makes some plays and give the team at least a chance to win if he absolutely has to play. No 3rd string QB is going to be "good", he's just got to not be Mike Quinn, Babe Laufenberg or Caleb Hanie bad where the offense struggles to get 100 total yards for the game. .
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I will say this, I have no problem with keeping an extra QB, after all it is the most important position on the field in today's NFL. I do have a problem with McGee the player though, and wonder if he is worth keeping. Jerry did comment that McGee has worth, but I wonder what kinda worth he is talking about cause he hasn't shown the ability to get us a draft pick like other teams have been able to do with their backup QBs.

At this point, the only reason I would want to keep McGee is if he has trade value, problem is I don't see how McGee has any trade value at this point.
  13. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    McGee doesn't have any trade value. That's just more of Jerry's BS.
  14. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well that is by far my biggest problem with McGee, if he has no trade value then he is totally useless.......just hoping they know more than we do and not letting some team pull their chain into thinking that they are actually interested in McGee.
  15. Westcoasthabsfan

Westcoasthabsfan Active Member

2,312 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    i am hoping they are only holding onto him to drop him when they pick up somebody from the other teams cuts......
  16. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Rodgers was a first-round pick and top talent, not a fourth-round pick. It's questionable whether grooming was necessary, but he was groomed, I will allow that. But the question is whether fourth-round or mid-round picks have histories of being groomed into championship quarterbacks. I submit that they largely do not.

Brunell was third round?, I think. I might be wrong on that. And while very good, he wasn't elite or a champion.
  17. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Warner was a free agent. Johnson was a ninth-round pick who would be a seventh-round equivalent today. Warner started in his second NFL season. I would agree that Johnson was groomed over a few years.

I don't mind late round picks on quarterbacks as much. There's a better recent record there and less wasted value for failure.

Hostetler was a third-rounder. He was groomed over years. That said, most of that year was Phil Simms. He just finished the job.
  18. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    I should correct myself. Unitas was pick 102, a modern-day fourth rounder. So yes, almost sixty years ago, there was an example. That said, he wasn't groomed. After being cut by Pittsburgh, he became the starter in his rookie year with Baltimore a year later.
  19. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,089 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Or what about Ricky Stanzi, Nathan Enderle, Tyrod Taylor, Greg McElroy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton, Rusty Smith, Dan LeFebour, Joe Webb, Tony Pike, Levi Brown, Sean Canfiel, Zac Robinson, Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter, John David Booty, Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Erik Ainge, Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson, Matt Flynn, Alex Brink, Jeff Rowe, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer, Tyler Thigpen, Ingle Martin, Omar Jacobs, Bruce Gradkowski, D.J. Shockley, Kyle Orton, Stefan LeFors, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson, Derek Anderson, Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Luke McCown, Craig Krenzel, Andy Hall, Josh Harris, Jim Sorgi, Jeff Smoker, John Navarre, Cody Pickett, Casey Bramlet, Matt Mauck, B.J. Symons, Bradlee Van Pelt, Seneca Wallas, Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger, Kliff Kingsbury, Gibran Hamdan, Ken Dorsey, David Garrard, Rohan Davey, Randy Fasani, Kurt Kittner, Brandon Doman, Craig Nall, J.T. O'Sullivan, Seth Burfurd, Jeff Kelly, Ronald Curry, Wes Pate, Sage Rosenfels, Jesse Palmer, Mike McMahon, A.J. Feeley, Josh Booty, Josh Heupel....
  20. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,413 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    If you use the word "groomed" one more time, I think you should slap yourself.