1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upgrading my phone soon (verizon phone advice?)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by chip_gilkey, Nov 7, 2011.

1. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I have verizon and I upgrade at the end of this month. I have been trying to figure out what to choose but I'm having difficulty. I still have a droid 1 and have been looking at the droid 3, bionic, or the razr.

The 3 is the most appealing simply because it has the physical qwerty keyboard and I absolutely hate texting without a keyboard. My main concern is that I'm going to get the 3 and it's already antiquated.

Anyone have any insight concerning the bionic, obviously the razr isn't even out yet so I don't expect anyone to know much about it. I know the 4 lte network or whatever it is is really fast but I don't really use the internet as much as I use the keyboard so I'm trying to weight the options. Gah why can't they make more phones with physical keyboards.
  2. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I read a razr review but can't remember the exact site. It was really positive, said it was as good or better than the bionic. I'm a droid x fan but it doesn't have a physical keyboard.
  3. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    True. If I were going to Verizon, I would choose the new RAZR. Looks like a fantastic phone.

kinda big though...?? I never owned a Droid phone.
  4. Air Force One

Air Force One Active Member

1,818 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I wouldn't touch the RAZR with a ten foot pole. Has a battery that CANNOT be removed so if you are out and get low on battery you cannot put in a fresh one.

I am getting the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. 4G LTE launching with ice Cream Sandwich, and best of all stock Android with no Verizon bloatware. It will be easily rooted and will receive excellent developer support.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/

Another great choice is the HTC Rezound. Will launch with Gingerbread but will be soon upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/htc-rezound-hands-on/

Again, I would suggest you not get the RAZR. It will receive next to zero developer support and the un-removable battery will make you regret it. 4G LTE uses battery like you would not believe.

Just my opinion tho.
  5. chip_gilkey

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Appreciate the insight. However I've never carried around a fresh battery with me just in case mine dies. Also I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 instances where my phone has completely died when I wasn't at home to charge it. So the whole unable to change the battery thing doesn't really bother me.
  6. Air Force One

1,818 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    But what I'm saying is 4G phones are different...if you use 4G, you'll be LUCKY if the device lasts 5 hours with moderate use. Maybe you don't have 4G in your area? Well you will soon enough and you will want to use it. This is how it will be until the newer 4G LTE chipsets come out which will not be until next year, until then all 4G LTE phones will have suspect battery life.

Besides man, the RAZR has nothing the Rezound and Galaxy Nexus don't have but the Rezound and Galaxy will have better support(Galaxy more so than the Rezound)
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,334 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I have the Bionic and love it. It is fast and the screen has excellent resolution.
  8. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,666 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    5 hours is a bit of an exaggeration.

I have the Thunderbolt, the epitome of bad battery life, and get about 7-8 hours on 4g with moderate use. That was with mine unrooted. Now I am rooted and get 8-10.

I would also have to go with the Nexus if I was going to upgrade. The Rezound is a pretty stout phone as well, first HTC phone that will have the Dre Beats speakers. So it's definitely based around as being a music phone.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sam recommends disabling G4 until you need it. ;)

It's as simple as a click of a button. I believe there are even widgets you can get to enable / disable with easy like the common one for enabling Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Screen Brightness, etc.

[IMG]
  10. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I will shoot the first person on the subway I see with one of these. (unless you mean it comes with headphones rather than speakers)
  11. Air Force One

1,818 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I've got the Thunderbolt too, and it *sometimes* only lasted 5 hours with moderate use. Sure, I agree it sometimes lasts 7-8, but I had to turn the brightness down and limit some of the syncing that went on and watch every little thing I did to get 7-8 hours of 4G. God forbid I stream Slacker. On 4G, it burns right thru the battery. I will say this: after I rooted and loaded Das Bamf 1.8.6 AND got the 3200 extended Seidio battery, I make it between 15-20 hours. But that is why I recommend against a 4G LTE device that does not have a battery that can be removed. You are left at the mercy of that single battery on 4G LTE, which imo, is not acceptable.

Yes it's the headphones not actual speakers. :D
  12. ajk23az

7,666 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Sorry, yes, I should have been clearer. The Rezound COMES WITH Beats headphones. :eek::
  13. ajk23az

7,666 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I agree that streaming anything rips right through the battery. If I play a game like Drag Racing for 20 minutes, my battery will have decreased about 10-15%.

I am running Das Bamf ForeverCubed and it has pretty solid battery life for me.

My phone gets the most battery life when on WIFI, 3g, 4g, in that order. When possible, I keep it on WIFI, then I only use 4g when I am about to search something on the internet.

But I do agree, 4g is kills battery power.
  14. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,807 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    The Droid Prime.

Period.
  15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,906 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I'm due up for a new phone on Verizon as well. It's between the Galaxy Nexus and whatever Nokia Windows phone makes it to their network in the next couple of months.
  16. Air Force One

1,818 Messages
    22 Likes Received
  17. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Droid Razr

[youtube]T9sRUNf4ZFM[/youtube]
  18. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,807 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    The Droid Razr is a sucker buy.

Its being released, like the Bionic, prior to the Droid Prime Nexus.

They are just trying to get some sales on what they know is a lesser phone. Dont buy into their strategy.

ie. A 2012 car is coming out in Dec 2011, but they are selling a 2011 model that is not that good. Why not wait a few weeks or months.

You will be better for waiting.
  19. chip_gilkey

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    The problem is there's always going to be a better model coming out in a few months. If you are waiting on the next new awesome model to come out your never going to upgrade. I guarantee a few months after the next awesome phone comes out a better phone will come out.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received

Exactly there's always something better coming because technology keeps improving. If you buy a phone today they'll be something better in another few months and it won't be long before the phone you have is obsolete.