1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upshaw--No Longer A Target?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Mar 30, 2012.

1. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,991 Messages
    294 Likes Received

thank the good lord above

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
  2. bhamzspecial

bhamzspecial Member

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here me out. Jenkins is gonna want Carr type money.can't pay two corners that type at one position. Trade Jenkins for a 3rd round pick and now you can justify a corner at 14 and pick up another later in the draft Now you have your 3 starting corners for the next 4 yrs under contract. Thoughts
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,876 Messages
    827 Likes Received
    Good info, thanks.
  4. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I'm figuring that either they...

1) Select Kirkpatrick, then trade Jenkins and a pick to move back up into the bottom of rd #1, and also get Konz/Barron.

- OR -

2) Move down, pick up a pick, select Barron #1, and use the pick to move back up into rd #1 and get Konz.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,388 Messages
    2,991 Likes Received
    With Jenkins shoulder surgery and being in the last year of his contract, I don't see any team offering much if anything.
  6. bhamzspecial

bhamzspecial Member

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It' s not like the shoulder is career threating. I'll take a 4th. I could package that with something and move up to get something I like
  7. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,421 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I am pleased :). I didn't see how this guy would really help our defense. I don't like Barron in the 1st either. Why invest in an injured safety who is not great in coverage? That would seem like a pretty stupid move to me - especially in the 1st round. I'm not anti-Dre. He's tall, physical, and has good coverage skills. He certainly has the potential to be a good DB. Is he a shutdown CB? Probably not. But can he be a very solid CB with the potential to be a good safety? I'd say yes. I'd rather have DeCastro, a pass rusher, or a center in a trade down. If we took Dre in a trade down, and we have him as our highest rated player, I could live with that. Hopefully, we'd get that OL and pass rusher with our 2nd and 3rd round picks.
  8. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,754 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    I'll go out on a limb and say that Upshaw will keep falling to the end of the 1st round and maybe even out of it.

He looks really stiff to be a top end passrusher. Tackles in the NFL will eat him alive.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    People are so quick to want to trade the "best corner from 2011"?

I don't get our fans sometimes.
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,098 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    In the service, the term bunker mentality was valid. Here, it's the burn barrel...:)
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Burn barrel is where I'd dump the posts :D
  12. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is the real question for me:

Gilmore VS Kirpatrick

Mike Lombardi talked about how Stephon Gilmore could win at the top and the bottom of the route, and he stated that Dre Kirkpatrick could win at the top of the route. Lombardi went on to talk about how Darelle Revis could win at the top and bottom of the route, and Nnamdi Asomugha could win at the top of the route. The top of the route guys or the physical CBs are the guys who don't really get the big interception numbers according to Lombarid. Again, Gilmore can win at the top and bottom of the route due to his overall skill set and talent.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone is really wanting to trade him but the recent article from BTB, I believe, has kickstarted the train of thought about "what if".
  14. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I totally butchered this post, because I was in a rush. Let me fix it. I apologize.

Let me try to clarify, because I think it's important. If Rob Ryan does favor Kirkpatrick in his scheme, Ryan could leave at any time. Gilmore was a more explosive, more productive player at South Carolina than Kirkpatrick was at Alabama. Gilmore has the talent and skill set to play in multiple schemes and thrive. I think Gilmore could be in play starting at pick 7, imo.

Mike Lombardi talked about how Gilmore could win at the bottom or top of the route, just like Darelle Revis. Gilmore is a long-armed, big, fast, quick CB who can win on a receiver's cut at the top of the route and go get the ball. However, Gilmore has the length and size to get physical and win at the line of scrimmage, too. Again, Gilmore can win at the bottom or top of the route. That is a key separation between the two players. Gilmore covered Julio Jones and A.J. Green, too. So, organizations have access to that tape, too.

On the other hand, Lombardi compared Kirkpatrick to a player like Asomugha. Kirkpatrick wins at the bottom of the route by getting physical at the line of scrimmage. Lombardi stated that CBs in this class usually don't have the high interception numbers.

That is what I was trying to say. Gilmore can win both ways or play both ways, but Kirkpatrick isn't that type of player according to Lombardi.

Anyway, Kirkpatrick is a good player, but I think Gilmore is the superior player, imo. I think Gilmore's play at South Carolina speaks for itself, and if he played at Alabama or LSU, he probably wouldn't be the late riser that he is now.

If Dallas takes a CB in round 1, it should be Gilmore. It really shouldn't be close, imo. Gilmore could execute Ryan's scheme or the next defensive coordinator's scheme. The Cowboys should take the best CB, and that is Gilmore, imo. Kirkpatrick isn't the cleanest player in the intangible department, either. That may be one reason why he has so many visits scheduled.

I think Gilmore will get serious looks from Jacksonville at 7, Buffalo at 10, Kansas City at 11, possibly Seattle at 12, and possibly Arizona at 13. Dallas should be looking, too. I agree with Chocolate Lab. Gilmore has a chance to go much higher than he is being projected right now.
  15. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Man, I was in a rush. I have this in the wrong thread.

Oh, well. I move it.

Ingram > Upshaw :)
  16. mensaone

mensaone Benched

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received

rather have Hightower any ways - move him all over the feild