1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Upshaw will be the pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by DBOY3141, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    With Garrett's relationship to Saban and now he is attending 'Bama's pro day, I just see it coming.

Saban made the comment that Upshaw is the meanest football player that he has ever been around. That's quite an endorsement.

Not that I would hate the pick, I just see him as a cheaper version of Spencer. Solid player, just not a great pass rusher.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,376 Messages
    4,942 Likes Received

That will be a decent 2nd round pick. Who is Garrett going to draft in the 1st?
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Maybe Luck in the 2nd.:)
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    I agree he'll likely be the pick. But he is nothing like Spencer.

And you described why in the OP. He's mean. A leader.

Yeah, he's not going to get Ware's production but few will. We need someone big, strong and nasty that can punish the offense. Someone who can take the heat off Ware--who teams have to account for. Upshaw certainly fits the bill.

Besides, the pass rush needs to improve the most along the DL not LB.
  5. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Will Upshaw replace Spencer this season?
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    That's a good question.
  7. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,606 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    I can see him or dre in the first. Konz second or trade up for him
  8. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,323 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    Yeah, I am really beginning to believe it will be Hightower or Upshaw and then Barron or the FS from ND.
  9. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,601 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    Isn't Kirkpatrick the cb from bama? Might be him with the uncertainty of Jenkins...
  10. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,137 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    my concern with Upshaw is can he cover?

i mainly saw him rushing when i watched bama play so does anyone know about his coverage abilities?
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,233 Messages
    2,988 Likes Received
    Upshaw along with DeCastro, Kirkpatrick and Ingram have been guys I have liked since the end of the season. That has not changed. Upshaw has shown the ability to work at the OLB spot as well as DE in the 4-3 alignment. He is a very aggressive player with very good talent. Again I do not go by the Combines as the means to grade a player I grade football players based on how they play the game.
  12. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    He is checking out Kirkpatrick.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,332 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick might not even work out at this pro day because he worked out at the first Alabama pro day. Plus he has a private visit in Dallas in a few weeks
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,233 Messages
    2,988 Likes Received
    I'm sure the Garrett is checking out quite a few players who will be draft eligible from Alabama and not all would be 1st rd picks. Cowboys will also be inviting players in and not all of them are 1st rd players. We have what 8 picks in 7 rds they are looking at as many players as they can.
  15. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Maybe he is talking to him about the weed incident. Alabama has several players with 1st round ability. I would imagine that every team has a coach or scout at Alabama's pro day.
  16. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Someone mentioned Ware production? That's awfully ambitious. I don't know that anyone ever expects Hall of Fame production.

I'll say this though about Upshaw, I think he can give you Greg Ellis production. I'd take that.
  17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,306 Messages
    908 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind Upshaw in the least bit.

However Ben and Skin seem to think we are taking Barron. Archer thinks the same thing.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,480 Likes Received
    The thing is, Alabama's so talented that our coach attending their pro day doesn't exactly narrow it down that much.

Upshaw would not surprise me in the least though. I think he's more likely than DeCastro.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,480 Likes Received
    Agreed. I would never expect Ware production from any player. Even Ware. That's what makes the guy special.
  20. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    A coach gets a lot of bang for his buck showing up to the AL pro day. Tough to guess who they are looking at.