1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

US Approves Two New Nuclear Reactors

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    "For the first time in 30 years, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission has approved licenses to build two new nuclear reactors in Georgia. These are the first licenses to be issued since the Three Mile Island incident in 1979. The pair of facilities will cost $14 billion and produce 2.2 GW of power (able to power ~1 million homes). They will be Westinghouse AP1000 designs, which are the newest reactors approved by the NRC. These models passively cool their fuel rods using condensation and gravity, rather than electricity, preventing the possibility of another ***ushima Daiichi-type meltdown due to loss of power to cooling water pumps."

"Expected to begin operation in 2016 or 2017, the pair of new AP1000 reactors will produce around 2GW of power for the southeast. This is the first of the new combined construction and operating licenses ever issued by the NRC; hopefully this bodes well for the many other pending applications."
  2. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,163 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find "where" these reactors would be located. Georgia is a pretty populated state. I'm all for nuke power, but I have to admit, I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't be concerned if my family lived close to these things.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Now they need to approve some new oil refineries.
  4. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy

2,771 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Fuel is the country's top export. We're refining more fuel than we can use.

5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    They are "for" Georgia. (the power they make) They are actually going to be built in Sunnyvale, TX.

:muttley:
  6. basstapp

basstapp Active Member

983 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    They said they would be located in Augusta, Georgia :). I live like 2 hours from there yay!
  7. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,163 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    lol. :bow:
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

4,967 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Just make sure they are not built in flood plains or earthquake zones....
  9. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,343 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    Now, if they could only figure out where to store the nuclear waste. Nevada doesn't want it. So, continue to "store" it in a bathtub next to the reactor. Brilliant. :rolleyes:
  10. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,177 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Great! Nobody with any intelligence lives near there anyway...
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received

Yucca Mountain would have been fine. All we need is a place to store it for a few hundred years at most. By that time we will have figured out how to destroy it or we will be able to cheaply send it off planet.

It was always BS about how they needed a place that was safe for thousands of years.

Actually what they should do is dump it in the deep trenches of the ocean. Encased in concrete and steel, in a few years it will be buried so deep in the mud that even when the tanks leaked it would not matter that deep in the ocean.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    I saw a video about a potentially new fuel source for nuclear power that would reduce waste by some ridiculous amount.

Wish I could find it.

Won't be long and we'll have a means to get it to space safely and cheaply and we'll be sending that stuff to Uranus.
  13. Hoofbite

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    I think the problems is, what if it leaks before a few years?
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,336 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Wouldn't the pressure that deep like cause that thing to just implode well before it got all the way to the bottom?
  15. Hoofbite

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    Good point.

Saw a figure that says that the pressure in the deepest parts is like 8 tons per square inch.

Factor in the temp down there and things may not hold up.

And even if they could, how heavy would the encasement be? That much concrete and that much steel? How would you move something like that out there?

It's not like a giant platform rig that you could use buoyancy to lighten the load. We're talking a solid structure completely sealed and filled with nuclear waste.

How big would it have to be?

81,000 meters cubed? After some fiddling around, it would be about this big.

A box 160 feet wide, 120 long and 150 feet tall.

A visual depiction.

[IMG]

That box is sideline-to-sideline and that is just what it would have to hold, not the actual size itself. That's internal volume.

And actually, I shorted the height by about 15 feet but didn't want to fix it. You'd have to imagine about 10 feet of visible screen.

Every year? I don't think dumping it in the sea would even be feasible.
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,213 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    its a thorium reactor .you can watch a lecture on it on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vzotsvvkw&feature=player_embedded.

It has zero support from the establishment though.
  17. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh noes! We's all gonna dies like everbodies at ***ushima!!!!

Oh, wait...
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,640 Messages
    281 Likes Received
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Care to clarify that response? You are a Cowboy fan yet you imply only dumbarses live in a burb of the team you root for?

The CEO of a company I used to work for lives in Sunnyvale... he is worth millions...
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    if the containers are made right they will last 20-30 years