1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

US Most Armed Country in the World

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Sasquatch, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

By Laura MacInnis 2 hours, 4 minutes ago

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

LINK
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,667 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Thank God
  3. Sasquatch

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Why be #1 in health care and education when you can lead the world in gun ownership and prison population? That's what I say. :)
  4. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see a problem with this.
  5. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So how many unknown firearms are there available worldwide? ;)
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    then you can use the guns to kill off the useless/unproductive eaters, parasites and leeches so that you don't have to spend as much on health care.
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Translation: don't "f" with the U.S.A. ... we're armed to the teeth! :D

I personally own about 10 guns, so I'm doing more than my share to keep the percentages up.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,278 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I have 0, so thanks for picking up my share. :p:
  9. Sasquatch

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    So I can count on most your support for my new family values initiative "An Assault Rifle In Every Household and a Handgun for Every Child"? ;)

It's endorsed by security moms everywhere.

[IMG]

"I support this measure." Security Mom
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Absolutely. Every home should be armed- preferably a 12 gauge double barrelled shotgun loaded with 00. Best home defense weapon there is; easy to use, don't have to worry much about aiming, and it will stop just about anyone.
    Notice Switzerland is not really that far behind us- and Finland has more then they do. So those MORONS that blame availability of GUNS for GUN crime need to look elsewhere= like the thugs that use them. MILLIONS of guns sit in cases and safes and on the walls of MILLIONS of homes and are never used. Its the thugs with cheap handguns in the cities that cause about 95% of gun crime. Those idiots that whine about assault weapons- and outside of gang activity (where all weapons are illegal anyway) there are maybe 50 or so crimes a year that involve assault weapons. But only stupid liberals and politicians don't bother to think about that. Now if they ENFORCED mandatory 5-10 year sentences on anyone using a gun in a crime that might do something. But the same IDIOTS that want assault bans refuse to fully fund the manpower and other resources needed to do so.
  11. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course, this study greatly underestimates the number of arms in China and India. 2 billion people, two arms per person - that's over 4 billion arms between them both!
  12. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Gotta admit I am shocked about the Chinese figures: communist countries always made a real point of not allowing private ownership of weapons. Most of them allowed single barrelled shotguns for farmers and such, and not much more.
  13. Sasquatch

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Who's out to get you, Burm?
  14. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I happen to like guns and have 6 modern weapons and 5 Black Powder replicas (Rev and Civil War). I live out in the country where pretty much everyone has several guns. Its perfectly natural and our crime rate is rather low. Probably helps that some gang banger wannabes tried a Home Invasion about a year ago and the 56 year old farmers wife killed two of them with a shotgun(pump action) and wounded another. More publicity about that sort of thing would help deter home invasions.
  15. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    who said being one precluded the other?

no one.

go find the last place gun owning country and tell me how their educational system is working and what health care is available.

you act as if there's a direct corrolation. there isn't.
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    i bought my first one recently. i had a 22 in high school but that's just a pepped up bb gun.

now i have a springfield armory XD9, 9mm w/16+1 in the clip. very safe gun w/2 safeties and visual cues to tell you a bullet is in the chamber and it's cocked.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Is there any truth to the old joke that some men like guns because they are extensions of their penises?
  18. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Please note an excellent observation that was unfortunately glossed over in the article: perception would lead someone to believe more guns per capita exist in volitile locations, such as the Middle East, North Africa, etc. That perception would be wrong, as illustrated in the article. I wish they'd gone into why that perception exists. It's because in those locations, guns get used.....a helluva lot....enough that it winds up making international news on average several times a month. So we have a prima-facia case for the equation "more guns does not equal more violence....necessarily...."
  19. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,667 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Thank God we have plenty of Guns ..... thats why we do not have people setting off car bombs in our neighborhoods.

:D