1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

US Wants Courts to OK Warrantless Email Snooping

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by jterrell, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,298 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/11/05/0747209.shtml

"The Register is reporting that the US government is seeking unprecedented access to private communications between citizens. 'On October 8, 2007, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati granted the government's request for a full-panel hearing in United States v. Warshak case centering on the right of privacy for stored electronic communications. ... the position that the United States government is taking if accepted, may mean that the government can read anybody's email at any time without a warrant. The most distressing argument the government makes in the Warshak case is that the government need not follow the Fourth Amendment in reading emails sent by or through most commercial ISPs. The terms of service (TOS) of many ISPs permit those ISPs to monitor user activities to prevent fraud, enforce the TOS, or protect the ISP or others, or to comply with legal process. If you use an ISP and the ISP may monitor what you do, then you have waived any and all constitutional privacy rights in any communications or other use of the ISP.'"
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    ...all in all it's just another brick in the wall.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,298 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    classic song.

scary premise.

btw i need you to im me your physical addy again:)

i got a hold of something we had discussed a while back. Now the lps are ripped to mp3. My Mom's pc finally broke so I got to work with it, lol.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    wow. that's pretty pathetic.
  5. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If you don't have anything to hide...why would you care?

;)
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,298 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    I dont want everyone to know about my fixation with twin midgets... rofl.
  7. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,313 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    Heheheh, good one.

BTW who would win a fight, an army of midgets or an army of albinos?
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Anyone who thinks Email is in any way secure or private is a total doofus.
  9. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,276 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Maybe not but that still doesnt make it right for the government to envade my privacy.
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Having found this in one of your e-mails...I can definitely understand why you want to keep your e-mails secret.

:D
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That has nothing to do with it.

It's about privacy rights.

Oh I forgot you're the one that thinks that the Government can trample any right if they feel like it...in the name of National Security.:rolleyes:
  12. BrAinPaiNt

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    The administration sure does want to keep it's emails private don't they?

Hmmm maybe they should practice what they preach and give up those "missing" emails.
  13. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,854 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    This is wrong.
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    you ever make a post that didn't piss at least 1 person off?

for the most part, your e-mail is secure and private. don't use "ilovemyself" for a password and no one will guess that on you. don't leave it on when you're not around and if it bugs you - use encryption or a digital signature for added privacy. if you're still wanting to be secure, setup a POP3 server on your home machine, register a DNS name and run it from home. now you don't have an ISP to worry about.

the point isn't how "secure" your e-mail is the point is how 'private' the government will allow your life to be.

i doubt seriously your car is secure. can i now get into it whenever i want? if you leave your door unlocked at your house, can i walk in and help myself to whatever is around?

point blank is this admin is using 9/11 as an excuse to take away our rights when to my way of thinking, we should go overboard to secure private rights in a time like this.

but back to e-mail...if you're smart enough to capture packets off the wire and put 'em together - feel free to capture my iceberg115@hotmail.com address and please, tell me what's in my inbox or what mail i've been sending.

can you? if so, hop on it. if not, then you're just posturing, as usual.
  15. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,003 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I hear ya, how come the Clintons aren't releasing all of those "White House" emails ??? I agree BP, Clintons can't be trusted.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    That is why Transparency is the #1 thing that needs changed in government IMO.

They sure are eager to take away our privacy rights, but man do they do an about face when the finger is pointed in their direction.