1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

USADA bans Lance Armstrong for life, stripped of tour titles *Merge*

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Risen Star, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

23,374 Messages
    10,855 Likes Received
    AUSTIN, Texas—U.S. Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart says the agency will ban Lance Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his seven Tour de France titles for doping.

Armstrong on Thursday night dropped any further challenges to USADA's allegations that he took performance-enhancing drugs to win cycling's premier event from 1999 to 2005.

Armstrong says USADA doesn't have the authority to vacate his Tour titles. However, Tygart told The Associated Press that USADA can do it.

Tygart called the Armstrong case a "heartbreaking" example of a win-at-all costs approach to sports.

Armstrong, who retired last year, declined to enter arbitration—his last option—because he said he was weary of fighting accusations that have dogged him for years. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he has passed as proof of his innocence.

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now," Armstrong said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. He called the USADA investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2012-08-23/lance-armstrong-ending-fight-vs-anti-doping-agency-could-lose-tour-de-france-tit?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D196448
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,279 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    So he beat all the other cyclists that were also using and that was after he beat cancer. Kudos Lance.
  3. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've never tested positive but we're banning you anyway.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,041 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    going after lance was a complete waste but he did test positive.

he got off a couple different times on technicalities.

i have no issues with lance at all and think he has done a ton of good for the world but he wasn't a clean cyclist.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

29,044 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Like one of the anonymous European cyclists said... "We all dope... he is just a better cyclist... the French need to let it go... he's just that good"...
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,271 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    Wow. They all dope and he beats cancer and them still? Yet they're going to go after him on it huh?

Oh well. That's how it goes I suppose.
  7. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Meh, they were all juicing. The difference was that Lance did it after cancer and sans-testicle.

He's still one of the most amazing athletes ever.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,653 Messages
    2,307 Likes Received
    Well this will definitely show Lance Armstrong, won't it.

Doing away with all those wins 7 years after the fact, that'll teach him for sure.

Seriously though, it looks the USADA wouldn't have ever been satisfied. Couldn't pin it on him enough at the time so their just gonna take their ball and go home.

I'm sure Lance can take comfort in all the endorsement money he's made through all of those wins and all the good he's done for cancer research.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,633 Messages
    3,001 Likes Received
    Yeah I just don't see how this matters.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,024 Messages
    1,832 Likes Received
    my question is this: If he was indeed juicing, was he doing it in all 7 that he won?
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

8,030 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    Marion Jones didn't test positive either. There are ways to getting around tests but it doesn't mean you are 100% clean.
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,420 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    This is and always was a witch hunt. ***hats mongering for media coverage.

btw, who is the USADA to say they can strip anyone of titles they have no control over? Especially when they have no evidence.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,420 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    This is the USA and they are the USADA who are funded by the US government. In the USA you are innocent until proven guilty. Someone needs to *****-slap these guys. They are stepping way over their bounds.
  14. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

6,347 Messages
    2,451 Likes Received
    For most of us Lance will always be the MAN when it comes to cycling and this is just nonsense as he said. Sadly in our world today this is just part of life and we all have to put up with it.
  15. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

29,044 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    I don't really blame him... no double jeopardy in that organization...

They constantly harassed him and made him defend himself... SEVEN years after the fact... sometimes you just gotta let it go and move on with your life...
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,461 Messages
    2,176 Likes Received
    Doesn't mean you are guilty either. I, like the majority of posters thus far, agree that if he did do it, so did everybody else. Nobody was clean and nobody is clean now. Cycling is a joke IMO. The sport is great but the whole governing body and the European influence on it is for crap. JMO

Also, I believe Jones did test positive, she just didn't test positive for Steroids.
  17. mldardy

8,030 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    I think it's been well established that cycling was dirty by the number of cyclists that have been banned/suspended from the sport. That doesn't excuse Armstrong which is what you are doing.

I stand corrected that Jones did test positive in 2006 but her B sample was cleared so she was allowed to race but the red flags were there along with the BALCO investigation. My point is she knew how to get around those tests for a long time like a lot of athletes do. Armstrong just did it better.
  18. mldardy

8,030 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    :rolleyes: Sounds like denial
  19. ABQCOWBOY

35,461 Messages
    2,176 Likes Received
    Ahh, no. Is there evidence that he tested positive? I think that the answer is no to that. If there is no evidence of this, then I am most certainly not excusing him of anything. The results are speaking for themselves. If there is no evidence, it is you who is guilty of convicting him of something there is no proof of.

Until you have proof, you can not say that he is guilty of anything.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

35,461 Messages
    2,176 Likes Received
    Has it come to that in this Country? You have no evidence of drugs, as tested by the very bodies that are accusing him, yet those who do not see the logic in convicting this man are simply in denial?

If there is credible proof, OK. If there is none, then he is not guilty.