1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

USC hires Steve Sarkisian

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Just Wow........

Sarkisian Accepts USC Coaching Position
    Updated: December 2, 2013, 4:37 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

USC has hired Washington's Steve Sarkisian as coach, multiple sources told ESPN on Monday.

Sarkisian in 2009 took over a Washington program that went 0-12 the previous season, and he returned the Huskies to respectability. He led Washington to a 34-29 record (24-21 Pac-12) in five seasons.

The Huskies (8-4) finished third in the Pac-12 North with a 5-4 conference record. They had three straight seven-win seasons entering this year.

Click here to read the rest of the article:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/coll...rkisian-washington-huskies-new-football-coach

Can't say I understand this one.
  2. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I LOVE this hire! As if my weekend could not have been any better. I wake up to this news!
  3. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,062 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Orgeron quits as well
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,815 Messages
    1,873 Likes Received
    I don't know much about him but for a big name program is this a big name hire?
  5. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

532 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    As a USC fan myself, I'm not overly thrilled but yet I'm not upset with the pick. One thing this guy knows how to do is recruit, and being from the LA area there should some ray of hope that we win over the recruits from going to the UCLA or anywhere else in the country. Only time will tell how this goes though, now I'm just waiting for Jim Mora to go take his dream job at Washington and jcollins and the UCLA faithful go ballistic. :p
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    This, IMO, is a Pete Carroll hire. Sarkisian has ties back to Carroll when he was at USC and for a long while, it was rumored that Sarkisian might be the air apparent to Carroll. Many thought that Sarkisian would have been the HC had he not left. I don't like the hire but he is linked to the Championship days.
  7. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,659 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    I'm okay with this hire. Great recruiter, high energy guy. Always thought he was the better football mind when he and Kiffin were co-Offensive Coordinators.
  8. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Mora will signing a long term lucrative extension within the next few days. UCLA will also be locking up his assistance. So the beatings will continue.
  9. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Feels like the Kiffin hire all over again. Sark is a lot like Kiffin minus the ****** bag attitude. Sark has a lower winning % in the Pac-12 than Kiffin and he seems to over recruit the skill positions. I think SC should have went after Franklin from Vandy or Greg Roman.
  10. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

532 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Only joking with you man, I think it would be a ****** move if Mora left for Washington, that being said I wouldn't put it past me either. As for the "beatings"..yeah, we'll see.
    jcollins28 likes this.
  11. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I know just joking with you too. It's all part of the UCLA/SC rivilary.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,466 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Pretty standard fare hire.
    Not likely to excite a lot of people but not likely to fall totally flat either.

USC and Texas couldn't be more similar.
    Both schools who had a string of top 5 classes that should be fielding a top 5 program this year.
    But attrition, poor coaching and other things have lead to absurd under-performance.

Both schools need to add a guy who can coach.
    And they need to return to the yearly top 5 in recruiting after a couple soft classes (by their own lofty standards).

Kiffen flat had to go and Mack is right there with him.
    You don't want to lose a decade as a program and it takes a while to recover once you've allowed a mess to form.

I am surprised USC didn't go for a bigger name hire.
    And I'd be floored if UT went in this type of low key return to the roots type direction.
  13. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    UCLA is hiring ex USC running backs coach and master recruiter Kennedy Pola. Huge get for the Bruins!
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    Don't feel bad for Washington.

UW may very well have upgraded after all of this,
    as they just hired Chris Peterson of Boise State.