1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

UT safety Earl Thomas: Cowboys his favorite team per DMN Cowboys blog

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 28, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    UT safety Earl Thomas: Cowboys his favorite team
    1:19 PM Sun, Feb 28, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    David Moore/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Earl Thomas grew up in Texas.

Yes, Orange still counts as Texas.

He played his college ball at the University of Texas. His favorite NFL team growing up was the Cowboys. What if the Cowboys took him in this draft?

"It would be great,'' Thomas said. "Wherever I go is good.''

It's unlikely that Thomas will still be on the board when the Cowboys pick at No. 27 in the first round. At 5-foot-10 he's a bit undersized _ "I'm probably not as tall as some teams in the NFL want their safeties to be,'' Thomas conceded _ but he has outstanding speed and instincts for the position. He also weighed in at 208 pounds, which is eight to 10 pounds above his playing weight at UT.

"The extra weight helps if I'm going to be in the box, banging heads all day,'' Thomas said.

How does he describe himself to teams?

"I'm physical,'' Thomas said. "Versatile. A hard worker. I'm not looking to sit back. I want to make an impact right away.''
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Earl Thomas-DB- Player Feb. 28 - 3:37 pm et

Texas S Earl Thomas measured 5'10 1/2 and 208 pounds at the Scouting Combine weigh-in Sunday.

Size was a big concern for Thomas entering the Combine. Many felt his 5'10/197-pound college listing would mean Thomas translates better as a corner at the next level. While he does have the feet and hips to play outside, Thomas figures to stay at free safety as a "center-field" type at this size.
    Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
  3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,017 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    If he 5-10 1/2, he's probably pretty close to a lot of other nfl safeties listed as 5-11 on rosters. He will probably be listed at 5-11 himself this next season.
  5. CoolNClutch

CoolNClutch New Member

149 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't even think he's on the Cowboys radar...or any other safety for that matter :(
  6. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,267 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    Wrong.
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,600 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    why are you laughing? have you seen him play?

oh wait, you are going to rag on him cause he got trucked by ingram....but if you watch that play again, he had just fought off a blocker at the same time ingram met him......no safety wins in that scenario.

thomas isnt the most physical safety, but he isnt afraid to hit or tackle. he will lay the wood if need be.
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hook 'em!

Now we're friends again.
  9. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,267 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    I'd take ET at 27.
  10. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    taking off the homer glasses i have never seen him shy away from contact. he was a very willing and sure tackler at UT
  11. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's probably a pipe dream, but I hope we get him. Of the players we could reasonably expect to get, either by them falling to us or possibly moving up a few spots I think he'd by far have the biggest impact of anyone or any position. We sorely need a playmaker back there and he's got tremendous range and play the ball in the air skill. The fact that he not only could play FS but also some CB too makes him a tremendous value IMO. And even if he didnt start, odds are he will get on the field in a nickel/dime role alot, and make him well worth the pick this year.
  12. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know where he's projected to go, but I know that safeties usually slide.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    In that case it's definite, he won't be a Cowboy.