1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

UW's Konz sharp at workout

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 4, 2012.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I thought this part was interesting,

Konz's 18 reps on the bench at the combine were far below Zeitler's 32 and most other linemen. Through extensive work with UW strength coach Brian Bott, Konz made a jump. He admits the low number did bother him, especially when he saw tight ends and running backs with more reps.

Simply, he hadn't focused a ton on the bench press before this draft process.

“I’ve just never been that good at the bench," Konz said. "I’m not going to lie and say it was a ‘bad day’ or anything. It wasn’t a bad day. Once I really trained for it harder and Brian put me through some heavier reps – I got 17 on 250 pounds — I knew I could come in here and improve. That’s what I really wanted to show them. I didn’t care if I got 20 or 19. As long as I could tell them I beat my own score, when I tell you I’m going to work on something I really am.”

==============================================

Clearly, all these OL aren't "maxed out" yet. :)
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,550 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Bench press doesn't bother me too much. Look at Pierre Paul he didn't do alot of reps for a lineman. Hell I can do 225 6 times and I weigh 170. And I'm not a professional athlete. I like konz or Ziegler in round two if we pick up a db in the first
  4. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,685 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    He's dedicated, and overall body strength with good pad levels can mean a lot...but in the end, his dedication to working will still be very important to the degree of success for him in the NFL.
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Give me this, and I'll be excited:

14. Michael Brockers DL LSU
    27. Peter Konz C Wisconsin

Get it done, Bill Callahan....:)
  6. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Just without Brockers please
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    upper body strength is important for a O lineman; and a center especially when dealing with big NTs. Still not very good.

And of course his medical condition.
  8. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with this whole heartedly.
  9. Sonny Koufax

Sonny Koufax Member

237 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Brockers is going to be a lot better than people on here think. There are other players I'd rather have at 14, but if he's our pick I'll be happy.
  10. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would not touch him or any other Center in this draft before the 2nd round. there just arent any here worth a first rd grade and if someone reaches because its a weak center class and we lose out than so be it.

I hate when Dallas takes these lineman and then all you here is. He will be much better next year when he has a year of conditioning under his belt. most these guys never workout
  11. interestedobserver

interestedobserver New Member

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ankle injuries can linger.
  12. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,683 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    give me Ingram and Konz, and you have a deal
  13. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,235 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    23 reps? Don't we have these players already in Costa and Nagy? No thank you on Konz.
  14. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

511 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Phil Costa had 30 reps.

Not sayin' he's better than Konz...just more manly.

- -

Kind of surprised Wisconsin's coaches would allow Konz to dodge that kind of strength work.
  15. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't remember Costa's rep total, but it isn't surprising that his number was good. On the bench, short arms are a strength.

I agree, though. Surprising that Konz doesn't have a better total.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Nick Mangold did 24 reps at the Combine, and he's probably the most powerful guy currently at the position in the NFL.

Honestly, I don't know why the scouts keep using the benchpress. It's a joke. I think they just keep it around because "We've always done it this way" and scouts old school minded creatures of habit who aren't real big on changes.
  17. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,754 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    The late great Bob Young, guard with the Cardinals in the 70s, brother to world powerlifter, Doug Young and one of the pioneers of powerlifting/weight training and football, said that the bench press was not as important as the squat, deadlift and clean and jerk. Young said playing on the o-line/d-line was about power and explosion and the bench press hardly mattered. I would tend to believe him.

I'd be good with Konz in the right scenario.
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,552 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Give me Cox and Konz and I'd be thrilled.

EDIT: Good Lord! That sounds like the names on the bathroom doors at a cheap strip joint!
  19. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There seems to be some heavy smoke around Peter Konz.

Dallas
    Cincinnati
    Tennessee
    Baltimore
    Green Bay
    New York Giants

Konz has visits scheduled with Dallas, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Baltimore. I don't think Konz gets by Green Bay in round 1. I think St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Kansas City would be interested in round 2.

I think Dallas is going to hope Brockers falls to 14, and then, I think they hope Konz slides past the top 20. Again, I'm not sold on Bill Callahan being too excited about playing with Phil Costa or Bill Nagy or Kevin Kowalski at center. That is what he is staring at if Konz doesn't become a Dallas Cowboys player. I think center is the huge hole ("pink elephant") in the middle of Dallas' offensive line. That one hole can sink you and prove costly. The AFC North is on the schedule, by the way.

Konz is a day one starter at center, and he would give the Cowboys two first round picks in the offensive line and anchor the interior. The New England Patriots (# 27) could be the key to nabbing Konz. I do think the Cowboys would flip their 2013 first to acquire Konz, because they are clearly in "go for it mode". Konz would solidify the interior offensive line, and he probably has a first round grade from Dallas. Konz is an excellent fit in Dallas' zone angle running scheme. Konz is a "right kind of guy", too. Good, quality centers are hard to find.

If Konz has a great visit and checks all the boxes in Dallas' column, I think the Cowboys will be working the phones to move up and grab him in round 1. I think Dallas would like to have two first rounders this year, and they need them, imo.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,022 Messages
    7,505 Likes Received
    Short arms. It's a great benefit for the bench press.

Costa would probably be a mean arm wrestler too.