1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vaccaro top safety on Cowboys board

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 20, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
  2. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,872 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    Not too surprising. They really value length in DB's. Really in almost every spot. Vaccaro is good sized and a good player.

I like Elam a lot at S, but I'm afraid Dallas won't because he's only 5-10. The only way I see Matt ending up in Dallas is if he slides a lot and ends up sitting at our pick in the second (and they haven't drafted Vaccaro in the first). Maybe then they would take him.

No way they take Elam in round 1 IMO. Vaccaro, is another story. He fits their prototype and I can see them going S in Rd. 1 with him.

I still think they end up going DL in round 1 in some form or fashion (DT/DE).
  3. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be upset if we took Vaccaro in the first, but my preference would be to wait till later in the draft. There should still be good (starting caliber) safeties in the 3rd and 4th.
  4. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    230 Likes Received
  5. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Rambo.
  6. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,658 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Usually not a lot premiere safties in the draft after the 2nd round. Would be real tempting to take Vaccaro at 18.
  7. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,727 Messages
    1,093 Likes Received
    No surprise. Vacarro is the top Safety on most teams boards. Mel Kiper has him as the #1 Safety in the draft. He won't last past the mid 20's so if we want him we'd have to take him at 18 most likely. I want to Go OL/DL in the first but I wouldn't be upset if took Vacarro. He's my favorite S in the draft. I love his range and playmaking ability and he's perfect for the Tampa 2. Here's his 2012 & 2011 highlights:

[youtube]0W2vFYz-1pE[/youtube]

[youtube]ScLY4PTo83I[/youtube]
  8. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I like Vaccaro because of his ability to matchup with slot WR's. He was the only safety I saw lineup & run with Tavon Austin this season.
  9. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    1/53 of a team tends not to have such a dramatic effect, especially when you don't know any of the other moving pieces. Pretty exaggerated.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Most of those plays look like routine plays from an average player. Not exactly the type of plays I'd expect to see in a "Highlight" video.
  11. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,108 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    lol yeah, whoever made that highlight video definitely didn't highlight Vacarro's game.. The kid is a heck of a player & makes plays all over the field
  12. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Well we drafted a DB last year and that really helped this past season. I guess that statement is exaggerated.
  13. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,658 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Have you been watching the Cowboys secondary since Darren Woodson retired? We're not talking about just "DBs". We're talking about a position that needs a upgrade. The safety position.
  14. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You are correct. The production at the position has not been the same since Woodson retired.

If Vaccaro is the best talent on the board then yes select him. But if there is a good pass rusher or good olineman out there, go get one of them.

Dont get me wrong, I want the position to be upgraded too. I feel that this class of safeties are a little over hyped.

Dallas' goals should be to select talented olinemen and dlinemen.
  15. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Yup, I like both Vacarro and Elam but I to believe they could land either of these two in the second round. We go OL or DL with our first pick.
  16. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,727 Messages
    1,093 Likes Received
    Neither Vacarro or Elam will be available when we pick in the 2nd round. That's as close to a guarantee as you can get.
  17. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    ugh. Glad he'll be gone at our pick.
  18. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    You can't guarantee that. Stranger things have happened.
  19. DEMARC0MURRAY29

DEMARC0MURRAY29 Active Member

275 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Some of these highlight films are god awful. That Vaccaro 2012 highlight was absolute ****.
  20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,489 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean they have a first round grade on him, although I wouldn't be disappointed with him or Reed at 18, if that's how the final board shakes out.