1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Van Halen, Roth to announce reunion tour

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Big Dakota, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Van Halen, Roth to announce reunion tour

Original singer will join rock supergroup for 50 U.S. dates

[IMG] George Chin / WireImage via Getty Images file
    David Lee Roth, left, will join former bandmates Alex and Eddie Van Halen on the road, but bassist Michael Anthony, second from right, will be replaced by Eddie’s teenage son, Wolfgang.
    [IMG] View related photos
    [IMG]

NASHVILLE - Van Halen will announce a 50-date American reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth during a news conference in Hollywood next week, sources said.
    The arena trek will begin in early October.
    Roth, who split from the rock group in the mid-1980s in hopes of solo stardom, will reunite with co-founders Eddie Van Halen on guitar and brother Alex Van Halen on drums. Eddie’s teenage son Wolfgang will sub for Michael Anthony on bass.

A proposed summer amphitheater tour by the group never got off the ground, with Eddie Van Halen entering a rehabilitation facility for undisclosed reasons in March.
    In the months since, the guitarist has been seen publicly looking healthy and fit.
    Van Halen last toured in 2004, with Roth’s replacement, vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I give it a week.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    If they come to Phoenix or Tucson I will go to the concert.

I wonder if he will sing songs they recorded with Sammy the way Sammy did songs they recorded with Dave?
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,049 Messages
    4,399 Likes Received
    I was thinking a month at most.

Oddly last time I heard they were going to use his son on bass but Valerie was set against it.

People that know van halen realize that Anthony's best virtue was not his bass but his voice on stage.

Oh well...would love to see them playing all the old songs but I don't see it lasting that long.

This is the third time, off the top of my head, that they have tried to reunite or made it seem that way.

Eddie is an ego maniac and DLR is flat out loony tunes.
  5. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's the over/under of this lasting longer than Guns N' Roses?
  6. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hell no. I bet they do only the old VH stuff with DLR. I loved both versions of VH, but prefered Sammy myself -- mostly because I was a big Sammy fan before he joined VH.

I believe that Michael Anthony does stuff only with Sammy now.
  7. carphalen5150

carphalen5150 New Member

1,064 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The greatest band EVER...while I would love to see them with Mike again I look forward to seeing what Wolfie brings to the table.

They will not be playing any Sammy era stuff. I would not be surprised to see them put some music together for the tour. Ed has a crapload recorded and just needs vocals.

I saw them in 04 with Sam, but Ed was a mess then. Dave has actually really improved his voice since he left the band...not initially, over the past few years. I have been waiting for this for quite some time. I cannot wait.
  8. Hostile

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    Just as long as he doesn't do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18
  9. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

omg. that looked like some bad church group.

that was just miserable.

I hate you for making me watch that......

man...that was horrendous.
  10. Hostile

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    How many people did you e-mail it to?
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

lol...none. I wont subject them to that!!!
  12. Hostile

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    You're a nicer man than I am. I sent it to everyone when I saw it.
  13. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,356 Messages
    613 Likes Received
  14. GlitzCowboy

GlitzCowboy New Member

480 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember 1997 (10 years ago) they walked out on the American Music Awards Show announcing this same very thing. And how many other times since?

They need to just grab some mirrors and crawl in bed with Axl Rose, then the bunch of them can hold up those mirrors and look at themselves, cause music isn't what they're about anymore.

Frankly, I wouldn't buy one of these surely to be overpriced tickets if my life depended on it. Roth was washed-up barely making it in Vegas not too long ago. This is set to be quite a joke, imo. Roth was them at their best, but he is just laughable these days what he's turned into. They'd be best to just let it die or what's to come is what this modern world will remember them as. Which truly, will be a shame after all the good music they used to be capable of.
  15. GlitzCowboy

GlitzCowboy New Member

480 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow, I see they've been doing some work on his image. I suppose...it was needed. They weren't going to let the little 50 year old white-pimp up on stage with them, and that's what must've took this so long to happen.

The funny thing is some of the comments I've just read.. Some people think this is him at his lowest. Obviously some of Roth has gone missed by a few......

He looks where he actually should be now and like he finally got out of living in the 80's- a decade that didn't even want him anymore. I like it. There may be hope for this afterall. NOT the David I saw a few years ago. That David makes the whole world simultaniously fall out of their chairs laughing. This one might actualy be able to fool a few old coots into thinking this is something to pay attention too. Not me though, my interest ends the second that prima-donna Eddie follows everyone up on stage.
  16. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Love Van Halen with Roth.

I'd go see them...no question.

[IMG]
  17. needforspeed

needforspeed Legend in my spare time

667 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  18. Hostile

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    I actually love bluegrass, but I can't get behind that.
  19. carphalen5150

carphalen5150 New Member

1,064 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I actually kind of like this. His voice sounds solid. He did a whole album like this with these guys and it sounds good for what it is.
  20. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,356 Messages
    613 Likes Received
    I just can't get used to Roth looking and acting like a carnival employee.

Roth has always liked bluegrass. He's got a good voice for it acoustically. Ice cream man comes to mind. I believe that's as close as Eddie would allow. He also did some solo stuff in that style. Zak Wylde from Ozzie also likes the more country stuff. Hard to imagine with all the power cords he crunched out. Great Axeman for the melodic stuff. IMO, of course.[IMG]