1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Vanderjagt Released!!! *Merged*

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RatisBeast, Nov 27, 2006.

1. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,165 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    OK - I only read through 11 of the 27 pages of this thread, so this point may have been made already.

Did anyone notice when Vandy made that chip shot field goal on Turkey Day? It was way right and it just skidded through (it should have been dead center blistering straight through to the safety net ... and he knew it).

Anyone catch his reaction?

He was laughing.

Laughing like a little kid who'd just gotten away with something.

Laughing.

I'm guessing that Bill was none to pleased with his reaction.

I'd also posit that Mr. Vandershank never quite took the job too seriously.

Remember the "mental holiday" comment? How about the not wanting to exert himself doing kickoffs during practice?

This guy's arrogance is off the charts. Now, if he's backing things up with his foot ... you deal with the big head.

However, if he keeps laughing the marginal play off, insiting that his mojo will show up any time now and carry the day ... well, I'd just say that Parcell's Doghouse Meter got pegged on Turkey Day.
  2. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,083 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Maybe BP was thinking.... we signed the most accurate kicker in NFL history.. and he sucked.. so lets sign a bad kicker and maybe he will be good.... I think BP is playing his famous mind games again this time on Fate instead of a player!!
  3. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think a common misconception is that a team doesnt "sign a player." Free agents have to WANT to sign with a team. Money, location, record all play a part of it. Put yourself in Vinatieri's shoes for one minute. You are an aging kicker. Do you sign with a team that's a perennial Super Bowl contender and plays in a dome? Or a team in an open stadium with one home playoff game in 10 years? If the money was equal, how can you not sign with the Colts? If you ask around, you'll find out that Indy made a successful late push to snatch Vinatieri away from Miami. The Cowboys would have tried to sign Mare if he was cut by Miami.
  4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,150 Messages
    336 Likes Received

I remember his reaction, and I don't remember him laughing it off. I remember him looking upset and pissed off, and he kept shaking his head. Looked like a guy on the sideline even asked him what was wrong as he was walking by and he indicated he barely made it by holding his fingers up close together. He certainly didn't seem nonchalant about it, he seemed very distraught, over a kick he made.
  5. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,240 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    OK... and maybe he didnt want to sign with us because of Bledsoe.... hmmmm
  6. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,165 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    OK - I'll have to watch it again (if I still have it on Tivo). I'm almost positive he was laughing when they cut to commercial. He may have changed his demeanor after talking to Tuna.
  7. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,071 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    That's because Finkle ain't no kicker. Later Ray, later.
  8. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,240 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I doubt that he was "seriously" laughing... I think his laughs were more like "***"... I doubt that he didnt want to correct this problem
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,071 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    He's been doing the same since his Indy days. He practices like crap, self-admitted, so I find it hard that it bothered him at all. How's he gonna correct it if he can't practive to improve? If he wanted it corrected he's had more than enough time to do so.
  10. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,757 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Actually he retired as a pitcher to become an outfielder because he could mash the ball.
  11. vicjagger

vicjagger Well-Known Member

2,088 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Yea, he's become the Eli Manning of kickers.
  12. CowboysNumeroUno

CowboysNumeroUno Member

461 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember him kind of smirking and shaking his head.
  13. Boys4Life

Boys4Life Member

32 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Amen brother. Hoffman turned every no name kicker into a top notch kicker. Since Parcells let him go, nobody can do the job even remotely well.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,983 Messages
    1,639 Likes Received
    No he didnt he mad Boniol and Cunningham better but the other 8 years were all sub 75%.

Overrated.
  15. calico

calico Active Member

4,160 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    :bang2:

One bad kicker for another

:banghead:

Is there another Zendejas brother out there?
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,422 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    If you go to your (User CP) and (edit options) you can get 40 posts per page which would make it only 11 pages total. :grin:
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,280 Messages
    3,596 Likes Received
    When the team gives you kickers who should be pumping gas for a living that isn't bad.
  18. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,592 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Swank, Wake Forest, is one to look at too.
  19. OKC.DC.Fan

OKC.DC.Fan Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They just said that theres a starter thats finished with the Cowboys...

???
  20. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Probably Vandy.