1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vela chats with KC Joyner who suggests the #Cowboys may be in a philosophical bind

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 28, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,917 Likes Received
    Dr. Jeckyll or Mr. Martz? A Chat with ESPN's K.C. Joyner

Posted by Rafael at Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cowboys Nation begins a week-long chat with ESPN Insider and Scientific Football publisher K.C. Joyner. K.C. brings his fresh 2012 metrics to the discussion of all matters related to the Cowboys offense and the team's passing defense. Today, he suggests the team's game planning was out of sync with its personnel in 2012.

Cowboys Nation: We can start this going in ten different directions with the Cowboys. There was a lot of flux last year on the offense. Every name player went up, went down, had injury issues. Every player has question marks entering the 2013 season.

Let's begin with the lightning rod, Tony Romo. I imagine his bad decision metrics skewed the wrong way in 2012, especially after he was coming off a career year in 2011.

K.C. Joyner: I'm looking at him now. Romo tied for 24th in bad decision percentage, [with a 2.3% number]. He tied with Colin Kaepernick. I don't know if that's good or bad to be tied with a first-year starter who was thrown in halfway.

To put him in perspective, Phillip Rivers had a 2.4% bad decision metric and he was seen as having a bad year. Ben Roethlisberger had a 2.4, and it was hardly his best year. From that perspective, Romo's 2.3 looks bad, but I'm of two minds with Tony Romo.

Upside, 2.3% if you're a risk taker of the caliber of Tony Romo, where he likes to take a lot of chances, make a lot of risky passes down the field, that's not a bad rate for a guy like him.

Read the rest: http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/05/dr-jeckyll-or-mr-martz-chat-with-espns.html
  2. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,214 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    "bad decision percentage"? I feel like some guys try too hard. Bad decision based on what? What if a WR like hmmm say... Ogletree? ran a bad route and the pass was INT'd?
  3. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I don't think Joyner bases a "bad decision" strictly on result.
  4. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,525 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    This IMO is the biggest structural problem with the Cowboys organization

5. Nation

2,525 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    It is defined as:

6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    What exactly is our philosiphy again?
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,897 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    Good read. Thanks for posting. I agree they need to go more up tempo and let Romo do his thing. They should be using Dez, Austin, Escobar and Williams down the field and putting pressure on the D and DBs. We had a much better offense playing loose than we did trying to play a controlled game.
  8. Nation

2,525 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    Space-based and speed as opposed to wearing teams down
  9. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    He has an interesting take on our personnel vs. style of football. I want to see what the play calling is like with an improved offensive line. They were so bad that it often didn't make a lot of sense to try and run the ball.
  10. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    :) +1
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    We look all over the place if you ask me.

We're trying to be a power team most of the game. Even though we don't have the players to run it.

Then after we've had a few penalties or we need to actually make a play we spread it out and do some space based stuff.

Then you hear we're going to a zone running scheme and then you hear well not really.

All I know is we are at our best when we our playing with urgency and tempo.

90's Cowboys football doesn't work with this team.
  12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Raphael would like to see the passing game morph into more of a downfield-type mode but what he neglects to take into account is that an o-line which consistently fails to afford its QB the required time for longball pass protection simply doesn't mesh well with that type of aerial attack. Any offense that can't go downfield effectively and can't run the ball consistently becomes predictable. Dink and dunk is the alternative.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I completely agree. I also think that when we go to an open high tempo offensive it speaks to what Romo's skills are tailored to. He doesn't have an elite arm but can make most throws. He can make all the reads quickly and influence defenses pre-snap. This lends itself to a Brady kind of offense where you let Romo create the miss matches pre snap with his great football knowledge. What helps his down the field game is ability to avoid the rush and extend plays, but most of the time this just lends its self to improvisation. This in a way is puzzling to me as well because we have the kind of receivers to run a Norv down the field passing game. Which IMO is how JG's offense is built. I guess you just try to get as many versatile guys on offense who can be match-up problems for a defense....Wit, Escobar, Hannah, Dez, Miles.
  14. jobberone

38,897 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    And you would be correct. We can be more up tempo though and Romo moves around enough to generally buy time if necessary to hit those intermediate and longer developing routes. Romo is fine out of the pocket but his efficiency goes way down into the 40s if he is too pressured when throwing. It would be nice for the OL to give him time to throw from the pocket.
  15. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,870 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    "I have a theory as to why that is, so overall, when you're looking at Tony Romo, his 2.3 bad decision percentage would not be bad if he was playing in a higher-risk offense, but when they're dinking and dunking, it's not as good a rate as it might appear."
  16. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    I'm reasonably confident the majority of us are hoping that Travis Frederick's presence will make a noticeable difference in resolving at least a portion of that problem. It will also be interesting to see what progress the youngsters such as Parnell, Leary, Kowalski, etc, etc can bring to an OL that sorely requires bolstering. If the football gods are so kind as to allow us to accomplish that, we're destined for bigger and better things. If not, well, let's not think about that, OK?
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,881 Messages
    7,620 Likes Received
    Honestly, between the penalties, turnovers, and porous secondary the last few season, it'd be more surprising to have a team that wasn't all over the place. Success gives you continuity, because it means you're consistently able to do things other teams can't stop. We show flashes of doing that, and then the odd penalty or a bad route adjustment and we effectively stop ourselves. If that stuff ever gets cleaned up, we'll see the team get suddenly a lot more consistent philosophically.
  18. jobberone

38,897 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    I think Smith will be a little better and hopefully more in the running game. Fred should help anchor the middle some and provide something with the run, too. RT won't be worse and should be better some I expect at least an avg RT there. We'll see about Leary, Arkin, and Ski. Hopefully one will step up and the two guards will play better. Not sure where Costa fits but at least backup center. We should be better.
  19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    "Bad decision percentage"?

LOL, and these guys wonder why they can't get dates.

There are WAY too many stats in the world for people who never had an athletic moment in their life.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    If Romo is not taking risk this offense does not move, we sputter. We are not getting the blocking up front and this leads to Romo trying to make plays on the move. While you can get away with it sometime it will burn you as well.

Only way to change this, the guys up front need to do a better job in protection and in the running game so that we can run plays as designed not an offense that operates by the seat of their pants.