1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Vela: McGee Angst Misplaced -- Plenty of QB Help Coming in 2013

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,886 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    McGee Angst Misplaced -- Plenty of QB Help Coming in 2013

Posted by Rafael

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/09/mcgee-angst-misplaced-plenty-of-qb-help.html

...Overall, I'm hearing the 2013 quarterback crop should be strong. The list begins with "Cam Newton Jr.," the Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas. The phrase, "freak of nature" recurs when he's discussed. He's 6'5", 254 lbs., has 4.6 speed and a long, overhand delivery. Thomas has huge hands and throws a tight spiral. He lacks Newton's explosion as a runner, but has some shake. Thomas has touch throwing against zones.

I've been cautioned that Thomas is far from a finished product, but is intelligent and is learning the game. What's Thomas' ceiling? One source told me, "if everything goes like it should for him, he could be the first overall pick in the draft." He could be the next Newton or Robert Griffin. Thomas is a red-shirt junior, so odds are he'll declare with a solid 2012 campaign.
  2. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Who was the last "great athlete .... all the tools .... high ceiling" high-first-round quarterback who panned out?
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,886 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    In today's NFL, there are five 'rookies' starting in the NFL at the start of this season, and five second year quarterbacks starting the season in the NFL as well...those 'odds' are meeting mainstream right now.
  4. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cowboys need a Landry!
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,377 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    Been saying this for a long time, 2013 draft loaded at QB.
  6. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,232 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    If they were to draft a QB in the next draft, that kid would get the benefit to learn from Romo and Orton, Orton is signed for more than one season. he may be traded anything could happen, but those two would be excellent mentors for a young guy.
  7. Hardline

Hardline Benched

750 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Doesn't matter how loaded the QBs are in next years draft are. The Cowboys will not be looking at using a high round draft pick on one for 3-4 years or should they. Romo is the guy for the foreseeable future. And if you think these mentioned QBs make it to the late rounds your fooling yourself. Orton is signed for the next three years anyway.
  8. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,323 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Tony Romo is 32 years old. Even if he manages to play another 5 years (he very well could,) a Tyler Bray for example would be 25 years old and not even in his prime yet. Draft a guy with a high ceiling and when Romo's ready to retire you've got a stud to take his place.
  9. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    :bow: Remember folks, the great #12 was 29 years old when he took up his role as Captain Comeback. The team DOES need to invest in a top-tier talent ASAP.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received

yes they do, just not one from Oklahoma
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,241 Messages
    2,665 Likes Received
    Logan Thomas is a great person, as well.

Good character, and he's a passer first. Virginia Tech's offensive coordinator just refused to open the playbook last year and let the guy throw the football.
  12. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I thought Troy was going to last longer. Roger left early. I want to use the first on a OL, OLB, DE...but QB is so important.
  13. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    The horror!!!!!
  14. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    It depends on what you mean. There seem to be a number of good prospects/potential No. 1s. But I'm not sure any of them would have been drafted ahead of Luck/Griffin. They're all good, but are any of them special?

I still would have considered trading up for Griffin. But that's water under the bridge at this point.
  15. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

346 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Miami of Ohio quarterback Zac Dysert impressed me this weekend. All he needed was wrs who could catch and hold on to the ball. He has great vision, athletic, accurate, and strong arm. The negative is that he was always in the shot gun. If I had to compare him, he would remind of the combo of romo's and warner's skillset.
  16. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,015 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I'm a Tennessee Vol fan, and I wouldn't spend a first round pick on Tyler Bray. He has had recent run-ins with the law for reckless operation of a jet ski and throwing beer bottles at parked cars. Word is around Knoxville he is a punk.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,437 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    I can definitely accept Landry love from someone out of Artesia!
    But sadly as an OU neutral observer I can not buy it myself.

He hasn't really improved since his sophomore year and will be a 24 year old QB coming out. He is inconsistent with his accuracy and decision-making.

He will be a big advantage at QB in the UT game but in some other other games he'll flat get outplayed.

Geno Smith the QB who would intrigue me.

All that said I think the premise of this article is goofy. --and i generally love vela.

There is zero reason for Dallas to use a 1st round pick on a QB next year.
    They have a top 10 QB starter and perhaps the top backup QB in football.
    They do want to have 3 QBs and if they don't resign McGee week 2; they'll scour all year for a 3rd guy. Come next draft QB will be on the board but probably not for round 1 consideration. This team still has plenty of spots they need to look at before 3rd QB.
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,632 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Problem is, we are talking about the most important position in football. It is the one position where you can't be over prepared.

People like to say never question taking a lineman, defensive or offensive, well in today's game I would never question taking a QB cause they are just too important especially with a starting QB over 30 (face it, Orton should never start for us no matter what his age is).

Since the class is seen as being deep, I would have no problem taking one regardless of round. Only issue is the media loves drama here, so Romo will get endless questions about it, but really we can't let them affect how we run the team.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,564 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    someone we might be able to sneak in

Sam Durley of Eureka college
    6-5 240
    just set the all time record with 736 yards in one game

true division 3 but so was Ken Anderson

only a junior

I mean if Jerruh still wants to go bargain hunting
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,469 Messages
    3,787 Likes Received
    Logan Thomas
    Tyler Bray
    Tyler Wilson
    Matt Barkley
    Landry Jones
    Aaron Murray
    Zach Mettenberger
    E.J. Manuel
    Geno Smith
    Mike Glennon
    Derek Carr
    Alex Carder
    Jordan Rodgers (needs another year keep an eye on this one)
    Jeff Tuel

Decent list and there will be a couple to stick their noses in the game by the end of the year.