1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Vela-Snap Analysis: Bend It Like Felix

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    The Cowboys got their running attack going last night by throwing a twist at the Redskins front. Specifically, they ran a wrinkle on one of their base zone running plays, called bend.

It's a counter action run that is called from all formations, but which has the back start towards one side of the line and then bend his movement to the backside. Bend is a strongside version of this run, and the complement bend-x, is the weakside version.

Last night, Dallas showed it from a heavy 22 set. Dallas lined up in a straight-I, with Martellus Bennett as the strongside TE, Jason Witten flexed as the U-back and Tony Fiammetta as the F-back in front of Felix Jones. In base sets, the F-back blocks the back-side end, and the back bends away from him. The design of the play has the defense keying on the pulling lead blocker, thus taking a false step away from the play's intended direction. This gives the line a better blocking angle.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/09/snap-analysis-bend-it-like-felix.html
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    Sharp article!
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Greetings.

Great article by Vela...

The officials took about 18 yards away from Jones on Bennett's phantom holding call. That was about a 24 yard run by Jones (to the outside). Ridiculous call...Gruden agreed...

According to K.C. Joyner, at one point well into the game last night, Dallas had "good run blocking" on 24% of their rushes (for the season). 45% to 50% is considered good for Joyner. The Cowboys were at less than half that.

Joyner stated that "Jones is doing a very good job, both on his own and when his blocking has been solid".

That was in the ESPN Dallas chat.

Some of the people in that chat should be embarrassed, and you all know who you are and why. I didn't even want to read it (after the game), but I was looking for something.
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll say it, again.

Felix Jones played one of the best games at running back that I've ever seen a Cowboys running back play. Dallas doesn't win that game without Jones' explosive, great game.

155 total yards

17 touches

All hail, Felix!
  5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotta stay on the field... He's got serious talent though!
  6. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Jones has missed two games since the early 2009 season. Was he on the field last night?

I think Jones left the game (real late) after recovering Romo's fumble deep in the redzone. Jones was holding his wrist after when he got up.

155 total yards on 17 touches and having a long run called back due to a very dubious call and coming off a dislocated shoulder is very, very impressive..

Plus, Jones was jacking up Redskins in pass protection, and he flat out destroyed some poor Redskin. I think it was London Fletcher who got knocked on his back (delayed blitz). Jones flat out knocked him flat on his back. It was a violent block from Jones, and Witten caught a first down.
  7. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'm not trying to be a punk, but some in the Dallas media and some in the national media have been really unfair to Jones on this "issue".

Darren McFadden has missed 7 games since 2009, and Felix has only missed 2. That is just one example.
  8. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just to be clear...

I'm talking about some of the ESPN Dallas and ESPN people in that Redskins game chat.

K.C. Joyner (ESPN) was unbiased and informed and on point in regards to Felix Jones' play on the field last night.
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received

:laugh2: :laugh2:

I knew we'd see 41 all over the boards today. Nice game by Felix.
  10. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    as far as I can remember Felix has always had a pretty good ypc so I'm not surprised. They really don't feature him at all either, I think many other teams would. He's very underrated here by fans who hold him to understandably high standards.