1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Vela: The Tough (Redskins) gets tougher

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Angus, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Tough Gets Tougher
    By Rafael Vela

The Redskins filled one of their bigger holes by trading a 4th rounder to the Jets for OG Pete Kendall. He’s 34 but he still a definite upgrade over Todd Wade and the band of backups they were trying at left guard.

For all their troubles, the Redskins had a good offensive line last year, with tackles Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen and guards Derrick Dockery and Randy Thomas. (They bested the Cowboys in yards per rushing attempt and sacks allowed, for comparison’s sake.)

They lost Dockery to Buffalo, who offered him a Leonard Davis-like contract and have crossing their fingers that they could find a cheap replacement. (Dockery actually set the market, so we can say Davis got a Dockery-like contract.)

Kendall’s signing shows that experiment has ended. He’s not the most athletic lineman but he has a reputation for nastiness. He’s a poor-man’s Kevin Gogan. In any case, Washington just became a little less easy to beat.

Closer to home:

– Jay Ratliff gets his shot at NT this week, with Jason Hatcher returning to workouts. I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner, though Hatcher’s bad hammy probably showed the project down. Hatcher was a handful for Cowboys’ guards as a nickel DT the last two seasons. He’s got the strength to play inside and Wade Phillips‘ system, which puts NTs on the center’s shoulder, rather than head up, should let him use his quickness as well.

As for Hatcher, he was working exclusively at LE before his injury and was making all the RTs look stupid. If he’s 100% or close to it, we could see some real push. Chris Canty started to show signs of pass rushing life last week and Marcus Spears is slowly upping his plays-made totals. Hope Hatcher gets the line over the hump.

http://theboysblog.com/
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

27,013 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received

More comparison sake...

9 - 7 - 1 playoff loss

5 - 11 from a Super Smart coach who works his guts out.

:laugh2:
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,930 Messages
    3,993 Likes Received
    The Skins made a good move.
  4. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,202 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    I am glad to have Hatcher back for sure....
  5. WR17

WR17 Benched

139 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dallas - longest division title and playoff win drought in the entire NFC East. In other words, the laughing stock of the division for over a decade.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,314 Messages
    1,054 Likes Received
    :laugh2: We have won 3 superbowls since the last time you girls sniffed one.

You are the new Cardinals of the NFC East.
  7. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm sure you were laughing your *** off when your beloved team couldn't manage to beat us six years in a row.

You should stick around a while...you're about to get pounded...and I need a laugh.
  8. WR17

WR17 Benched

139 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll be here. Getting "pounded" on a message board doesn't affect me. I knew it was coming when I signed up in enemy territory. Have at it, I do it to the Cowboy fans at extremeskins and I expect to get it here.
  9. zrinkill

33,314 Messages
    1,054 Likes Received
    16-6 in the last decade.
  10. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dammit...this is where you are supposed to say something delusional and I come back at you. You're not very good at this.
  11. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

27,013 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received

The Cowboys have 5 REAL SuperBowl trophys...

The RedStinks have 1 real trophy and two plastic ones. Maybe a strike season will come along some year and you guys can win another one!

:dissskin: (That's my dog Gibbs! Good boy...)
  12. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Draft picks are not something Washington knows how to handle so it is best they traded for a guy that will play two more seasons.
  13. 1fisher

1fisher Well-Known Member

5,712 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    two more seasons! you're very optomistic.:D
  14. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

lol. 1 winnning season since 2000 and you are on your high horse!

lol, you guys put way too much into that win over tampa. You are not even playing with the same quarterback anymore..
  15. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Funny how this laughing stock keeps fielding more national coverage than any team, sells more merchandise annually than any other and routinely embarrasses the Redskins in every way a football team can possibly lose to another.

Rain or shine on Daniel Snyder's dime, the Cowboys will have your number.
  16. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,121 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Except at ES (Arount the NFL) if one even mentions the Redskins in a counterpoint Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum come to the rescue by pointing out that Redskin talk is not allowed on Around the NFL.

It goes like this:

Skin Fan: Cowboys suck.

Cowboy Fan: Redskins were 5-11 last year.

Tweedle Dee / Tweedle Dum: You need to revisit the rules of ATNFL. You are not allowed to talk about the Redskins.
  17. riggo

riggo Benched

1,231 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :confused: 3 years ago, this was sadly true.
  18. zrinkill

33,314 Messages
    1,054 Likes Received
    16-6 in the last decade

53 - 37 head to head with the skins all time

its been true for 46 years.
  19. riggo

riggo Benched

1,231 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i would disagree. lately its been closer to the opposite.
  20. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,419 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Well, how does it feel to have a losing record against the Laughing stock of the NFC East the last Decade?:lombardi: