1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Verizon Halts iPhone Sales

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by kapolani, Feb 4, 2011.

1. kapolani

kapolani Well-Known Member

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/02/04/verizon-halts-iphone-sales/

I've been buying $AAPL since it was trading for $240. I'm lovin them apples right now...

Furthermore, I'd like to add that Android eating into AAPL maketshare happened because the iPhone was only selling on one carrier. Imagine if multiple carriers sold the iPhone. Imagine if Apple ever had a 'buy one - get one free' deal.
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    Doesn't really matter IMO. The IPhone may be the greatest thing since Bell actually created phones but regardless of who you buy it from, Verizon or AT&T, it still runs on an AT&T backbone and that is crappy.

Until it's serviced by Verizon and uses their connectivity infrastructure, it's not worth having for me.
  4. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I'm kicking myself too.

Back when the market crashed in '08 I was getting married and buying a house. I wanted to buy a truckload at $82...

:bang2:
  5. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Not sure what you're saying here...

Verizon has their own CDMA version running on their network.

Care to elaborate?
  6. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    A link to some reviews...

Link

And interesting customer comments beneath.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    If you are currently buying Apple stock, I highly suggest you do a close evaluation of that stock. Don't be last in and last out.
  8. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I've been riding free shares for a while now. This isn't my first rodeo.

Plus, I'm not worried about the stock at all even with the Jobs leave of absence. Their product line is set for at least 5 years.

No worries at all.
  9. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,914 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Sucks I missed ordering one, I love the iPod Touch use it constantly, and an iPhone would be perfect for me, but im debating waiting for the iPhone or if I will miss out on the unlimited data for $30 a month, which I would use in excess of.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    Impressive for a niche product.
  11. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Indeed. It's a [strike]blackout[/strike] knockout. ;)
  12. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    That's what makes their products so good.

They could put out a bunch of crap products like the other Android phones and sell even more. But, they choose to concentrate on making what they do sell outstanding.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    When these were first announced, I wanted to go out and get one through Verizon. I currently have AT&T. When I spoke to the Verizon rep, she told me that the IPhone still runs on the AT&T GSM network. If you use CDMA, it drops fewer calls but it's much slower according to how it was explained to me.
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,982 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    She's misinformed. The Verizon iPhone doesn't even have a GSM antenna in it. It was taken out and a CDMA antenna for Verizon's network was put in. Also, Verizon's network is much more robust from what I've seen.
  15. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,257 Messages
    46 Likes Received

Wow, Verizon might want to have a word with this particular employee...

If you buy the Verizon iPhone, it runs on the Verizon Network.

If you buy the ATT iPhone it runs on the ATT network.

And never the twain shall meet.
  16. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Sometimes carries to share with other carriers.
  17. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Verizon has now announced that it is the best selling phone (1st day) they've ever had.

Pretty impressive for a niche product...
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    I am aware that the dual CDMA apperatis is used by the Verizon version. That's why it drops less calls but that doesn't really do anything for you with the speed of the device. The CDMA network is slower. The speed of the device is supposed to be the calling card of the device. If you trade the speed for the reliability, it doesn't really give you what you are looking for. Long story short, I bought a Droid.
  19. kapolani

1,269 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Sweet!

I like the Droids. If I didn't have an iPhone I would probably have one of those.

But, I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make with regards to the speed of the device.

On a smartphone you're not dl/ul gobs of data. So, speed of the network shouldn't be a limiting factor.

So, you got a Droid on Verizon? Which you just stated has a slow network? Therefore you got a Droid? I'm confused... Likewise, if you got the Droid on the ATT network you have a faster network yet dropped calls?
  20. ABQCOWBOY

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    That's not what I said. I said the speed of the IPhone is compramised by using the CDMA technology. The Droid does not seem to face the same kinds of issues with it's performance. I don't know if it's because of the design differences or what. With the Droid, I get good performance and the benefit of the Verizon network, which works much better then AT&T in my Geo. It's the better solution for me.