1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Video: Video: Bill, Mickey and JJT all want more Felix Jones!

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dcfanatic, Sep 17, 2010.

1. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill, Mickey and JJT all want more Felix Jones!

Most Cowboys fans are thinking the same way these guys are thinking...

[youtube]2-cSOXGk0A4[/youtube]

For the life of me I can't understand why we still have to beg Jason Garrett to give Felix Jones more touches in games. It's just annoying and it makes you wonder if Jason Garrett will ever be an elite Offensive Coordinator
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,290 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    BAAAAAAAAAHAAAAABAAAAAAAAHAAA!!!!!!!

Seriously dude, how could you even type this!!!!
  3. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I forgot to put this in the original post.

But at one point in the last segment hear Mickey Spagnola talks about the Cowboys defense having to go after 'Kyle Orton'.

It's probably just a slip of the tongue. But he says the name so matter of factly. And why didn't Bill and JJT correct him right away?

That was weird.
  4. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I agree with JJT on a few things

1) Mentioned that Romo said there are too many mistakes, either a lineman, RB, WR or even himself shoot themselves in the foot too often which ruins drives.

2) Talked about the 90s boys, ran the lead draw to Smith, Deep out to Michael and the slant or post. When things get complicated, they reverted back to those plays to get the basics back down.

Also, listen at around the 5:15 spot, Romo calls a play that sounds like a physics experiment. No wonder they make so many mistakes. This should be simplified so that when you are in the heat of the battle you don't have to pick 15 different things from memory that you have to do. No wonder people look confused and move all over the place after a snap, forcing Romo to put them in their right place and we snap the ball with 1-2 seconds on the play clock.

Over all, nice segment and informative, thanks DC.
  5. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,169 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    I have to agree with JJT here.

If we chalk up penalties to the old adage 'dumb player do dumb things' then the playbook should be 'dumbed down' as well.

Establish a base of what your players do well and slowly build from there. Play to your team's strengths first, then go to the more complex stuff later.

I feel that there's enough talent on this roster that they can play basic football and beat most if not all of the teams they line up against.

Oftentimes, it's not a matter of an opponent beating them, but this team beating themselves.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,499 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Romo already said this. He was quoted as saying that they needed to "narrow their focus." We should expect a physical game from the Cowboys this weekend.
  7. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm guessing that with Colombo and Kosier returning and with the somewhat surpising success they had running the ball vs Washington, we'll see quite a bit more running this week than last week.
  8. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's not forget that Sean Payton was relieved of his play calling duties in New York under Jim Fassel. Fassel believed that Payton's plays were to complex as well.

It seems these genius co-ordinators take a few years to realize that their players may not be as brilliant as they are and also to develop a "feel" for playcalling.

My patience is running thin with Garrett as well but I've got to hope he'll figure it out before too long. Jerry is not going to give up on him so we have no choice as fans but to hope for the best.
  9. stasheroo

17,169 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    I'm hopeful but I just hope it's not a knee-jerk response to last week's offensive imbalance and we end up running too much and have the same imbalance in the other direction.

I'm also optimistic that Colombo and Kosier's return allow the passing game to go downfield more than they did last week.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,987 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    Good point...I was talking about that earlier or yesterday that he has had a problem IMO of over compensating to the run after a game we lost where we did not run enough. He gets bashed by fans or media for not running enough and he will do a heavy dose of it in the following game. And right now we see all of this talk of getting Felix the ball more (mostly rushes) and the uneven run/pass ratio for the last game.

Will be interesting to see.

But to be honest, even though I wish we did run it more on a regular basis...when you have the offensive weapons we have in the passing game...it seems clear they want to be a passing team. I mean I think Felix can also be a weapon in the passing game as well as the other RBs even if they are just dump offs or screens.

It used to be everyone preached about you ran the ball to set up the pass. I think the cowboys, or maybe garrett, view it in the opposite light where they want to pass to set up the run later in the game.
  11. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,244 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    I'm sure that the coaches are losing sleep over the opinions of Bill, Mickey, and JJT.
  12. stasheroo

17,169 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    No, they should be losing sleep over the embarrassment of being beaten by a team that they clearly outclass and looking like clueless fools in the process.

That's what they should be losing sleep over.
  13. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Ouch, that hurt.
  14. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,217 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    :bow: So do I!:bow: